Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Aug 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3291365)   #276
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Even a Miserable Old Git like me is entitled to air his bigoted views on this forum, ain't 'e?
Would the sight of 6 250Fs, Dino, Maseratis, Connaughts, ERA etc in the pre 1961 race change your mind? Or if they're still too modern how about the pre 1940 race?

Anyway we digress.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3291368)   #277
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, of course your are Bob. You can't help it if you are just wrong! I can tell you for starters that any racing BMW from the 70s and 80s is special and particularly the 6 series.

I actually started watching motor racing on the box in the late 50s but didn't go to my first meeting until mid 60's. I just think that there are great cars and drivers from all eras and I lov'em all! Anyway, you're on dodgy ground when you know I'm involved in a club providing racing for 1950s cars!

And yep, I know you are on a wind up!! Just felt like responding.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3291598)   #278
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Would the sight of 6 250Fs, Dino, Maseratis, Connaughts, ERA etc in the pre 1961 race change your mind? Or if they're still too modern how about the pre 1940 race?

Anyway we digress.
Mike, that is exactly what I am talking about. Spot on old chap

John!!!! Wind-up? Moi? Perish the thought.

Yes I give you full marks for FiSCar, let's face it everyone has some good in them.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3291625)   #279
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 19 - Pre 61 GP (Froilan Gonzales Trophy)

Last lot from me:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1601wb.jpg   IMG_1603wb.jpg   IMG_1606wb.jpg  

IMG_1621wb.jpg   IMG_1645wb.jpg   IMG_1667wb.jpg  

Old 21 Aug 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3292208)   #280
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I actually started watching motor racing on the box in the late 50s but didn't go to my first meeting until mid 60's. I just think that there are great cars and drivers from all eras and I lov'em all! Anyway, you're on dodgy ground when you know I'm involved in a club providing racing for 1950s cars!
Definitely a late starter John!

Crystal Palace, late 50s for me.

A lap of the 'Ring in the early 60s.

BGP mid 60s.

And I'm still only 25 ......
Old 21 Aug 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3292263)   #281
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Definitely a late starter John!

Crystal Palace, late 50s for me.

A lap of the 'Ring in the early 60s.

BGP mid 60s.

And I'm still only 125 ......
There, fixed that for you!

We didn't get a TV at home until mid to late 50s, and although he liked cars, my Dad was never that bothered with motor racing. He took me to my first event at Crystal Palace in 1965 - Alvis National day, where they sprinted/demonstrated a few of the hotter Alvis cars up and down the pit straight. My first proper race meeting was the following year at Silverstone AMOC St John Horsfall. At that time I was still under 17 so without driving licence. I can't complain, I grew up with MotorSport magazine and have been to 100s of meetings in the last 45+ years at all levels.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:10 (Ref:3292270)   #282
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We may jest, but having interviewed a great many drivers at historic meetings, whenever asked about the car they were driving it invariably came down to either, the era they first started watching motor racing, or because someone else owned the car!
We all hark back to the halcyon days of our youth, and usually reckon 'things have gone down hill since I first started .........'.
I am no different, for me D-Type Jag is the ultimate example of a beautiful sports car, a 250F the epitome of a Grand Prix car, while an ERA is a classic English creation that should never be allowed to die. Chuck in a Cooper 500, add a dash of 158, almost any 1950's Ferrari, a High-sided BRM 2.5 litre from 1958, and ........................... well any number of cars from 1920 to 1958, and then stop making racing cars.

Crusty.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:38 (Ref:3292286)   #283
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
And I thought they stopped making them in 1972!
Old 21 Aug 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3292296)   #284
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
And I thought they stopped making them in 1972!
Oh! They did John, but then .............. they were not 'proper' racing cars anyway.

PS; Did you like the two pictures of your pale blue TR taken at a GTS race at Donington?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3292408)   #285
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
There are great cars in any era. I'll have a DBR9, please. Or, if not an early ORECA liveried Viper. On the other hand I would also treasure one of John's Talbot 105s or Altas and a few years back he had a Porsche Speedster which really stirred me!

Didn't know JR had acquired a TR!!! Seems unlikely or am I missing something?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3292410)   #286
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Now I am baffled!

Last time I was involved with T R was 1973 Semi Works thing and it was rubbish.

Only cars I have had at Donington this year are a ccoiple of 356 things.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3292437)   #287
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
We may jest, but having interviewed a great many drivers at historic meetings, whenever asked about the car they were driving it invariably came down to either, the era they first started watching motor racing, or because someone else owned the car!
We all hark back to the halcyon days of our youth, and usually reckon 'things have gone down hill since I first started .........'.
I am no different, for me D-Type Jag is the ultimate example of a beautiful sports car, a 250F the epitome of a Grand Prix car, while an ERA is a classic English creation that should never be allowed to die. Chuck in a Cooper 500, add a dash of 158, almost any 1950's Ferrari, a High-sided BRM 2.5 litre from 1958, and ........................... well any number of cars from 1920 to 1958, and then stop making racing cars.

Crusty.
I don't know; I raced a 1971 Historic FF at the Classic which is 8 years older than me! My road car is a 1973 Alfa GTV2000. I race historic cars as they are from an era that interests me, because they're beautiful, and to an extant because its less full of young Turks paid for by their dads and are happy to swap paint.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3292484)   #288
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Now I am baffled!

Last time I was involved with T R was 1973 Semi Works thing and it was rubbish.

Only cars I have had at Donington this year are a ccoiple of 356 things.
John,
I had just sat down hoping to edit/delete that particular post, as it suddenly dawned on me I had, had a 'Senior Moment'!!!

Wrong driver entirely. Apologies.

Nurse ..... the pills ........................
Old 22 Aug 2013, 05:05 (Ref:3292612)   #289
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No problem

I have them all the time

Only consolation is that we lived through the best racing period not this contrived crap that is now served up.

As far as historics the 90's and Silverstone Classic and Oltimers was by far the best with that newcomer Goodwood.

We had balanced programmes and thank heaven not the flotilla of Yank Tanks

The Shell Ferrari Challenge was a big miss as even us who couldn't afford it loved watching.

Of course the main upmarket drivers from then are same today apart from ones who have fallen off perch.

Leave it at that!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3292682)   #290
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No problem

I have them all the time

Only consolation is that we lived through the best racing period not this contrived crap that is now served up.

As far as historics the 90's and Silverstone Classic and Oldtimers was by far the best with that newcomer Goodwood.

We had balanced programmes and thank heaven not the flotilla of Yank Tanks

The Shell Ferrari Challenge was a big miss as even us who couldn't afford it loved watching.

Of course the main upmarket drivers from then are same today apart from ones who have fallen off perch.

Leave it at that!
Never a true er word,comes to mind