Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Apr 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2174521)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC, 2008 Autosport 3 Hours Event, Snetterton

I've just received a press release regarding this event of which this is part:-

'The Historic Sports Car Club is expecting a capacity field of over 40 cars for the second running of the revived Autosport 3-Hour race at Snetterton on Saturday 31 May.

Regulations have just been issued for the longest classic race in Britain, which is open to competitors from the Guards Trophy GT and Sports Racing series. It is open to GT and sports-racing cars built before 1966 and with an international sporting pedigree from period, with an invitation class for pre '69 sports-racing, GT and sports-prototypes.

The Autosport 3-Hours is the longest race of its type in Britain in 2008 and is already attracting major interest from competitors in the UK and from across Europe. To cope with expected demand for entries, the HSCC has arranged an increase in grid size to allow more than 40 cars to start the race.

"Because of the three-hour duration we had the chance to slightly increase the grid and we are expecting a full entry," said Grahame White, chief executive of the HSCC. "We've had some really strong interest from competitors in Europe as well." The race is open to solo drivers as well as two-driver crews, with solo drivers needing to make mandatory pit-stops.
"'

Very much looking forward to this meeting, and particularly the 3 hour race. The great thing about enduros is that you can take your time and wander around the circuit and view (and photograph) from various vantage points. This was a great event last year and looks as though it could be even better this year.

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Apr 2008 at 13:12.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 14:43 (Ref:2174567)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
this is my target return race, my physio reckons it could be a bit ambitious - I hope she is wrong. It was a great race last year and can only get better - one not to be missed
Old 10 Apr 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2174663)   #3
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to this one too. The 1964 edition of this race( the Autosport 3 Hrs) which had to be stopped early due to fog, rates as one of the highlights of my teenage Snett memories. It ran into the dark then of course. If the 2008 race is half as good it will be brilliant. Any chance of them re opening the long circuit for this one ? I wish !!!!!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2174664)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totaly agree Simon,one of the better events in the UK.Last one I did was in the Cambridge Motorsport TR4,fantastic day!.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2175065)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
this is my target return race, my physio reckons it could be a bit ambitious - I hope she is wrong. It was a great race last year and can only get better - one not to be missed
you need a reserve driver I reckon
Old 11 Apr 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2175316)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've just filled in the form to enter the tin top race

shame they don't allow tin tops in the Guards race (as in period? . . hint hint)
Old 11 Apr 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2175494)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Err, no, please not, Zef; they just wouldn't go together, and that is aside from the inevitable reduction in places for the sports cars, if saloons were allowed. I don't think tin tops were ever part of the Guards Trophy field, although I stand to be corrected. However, a separate long distance race for tin tops would probably go down well, subject to sufficient entries, of course!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 06:56 (Ref:2175664)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Ok John, not necessarily Guards, but saloons and GT's/sports racers did race together, it workks at Spa 6 hour, which is the most popular race in Europe . . . . and I'd love to see some 2-3 or even longer races over here.

I wouldn't want to see saloons instead of sports, but if the grids not full . . . . .
Old 12 Apr 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2175667)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Ok John, not necessarily Guards, but saloons and GT's/sports racers did race together, it workks at Spa 6 hour, which is the most popular race in Europe . . . . and I'd love to see some 2-3 or even longer races over here.

I wouldn't want to see saloons instead of sports, but if the grids not full . . . . .

Something I've often wondered about ,considering the popularity of the Six Hour. Surely a 3hr for Saloons would pull in a decent grid.I thought that Historic Racing was to some extent trying to re-create some of the Period Races.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2175677)   #10
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Since the Autosport 3 hours is proving so popular, how about recreating the long distance saloon car races held at Brands Hatch in the '60's. I think they were 500 miles (I WAS only a child at the time! ) - probably a bit long - but wasn't there one called the Motor Show 200?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2175680)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yep,exactly John,BOAC 500---There were quite a few ,not forgetting the Goodwood 9Hr,but the again with the amount of complainers in the general public,perhaps there could be problems.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2175684)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure that BA would sponsor it again - Call it the Terminal 5 Challenge - the start could be "Find your car in the paddock - blindfolded!" Seriously, let's see if we can generate interest and then get HSCC or Masters behind it?
Unfortunately track time doesn't cost what it did in the 60's!

Last edited by johngee; 12 Apr 2008 at 08:03.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2175694)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Again I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, neither the Goodwood 9 hours, nor the BOAC 500 included saloon cars. In fact the former only ran 3 times, the last being in 1955! The running of saloons and sports cars together doesn't actually appeal much to me, as a spectator, despite the Spa event, but as a stand alone race, as I said before, a long distance saloon car event would be great. If it was held at Snet, how about naming it after the long gone Norwich Straight in its memory?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2175708)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
A 11 Six Hour? That would be better suited to the M25 !. Sorry,,,,.I know the GW 9 hr was for Sports Cars,it was only a refference to the enduros of the time John.The choice of circuit would be a consideration,Silverstone GP,Snett,I think Donington would be a good venue but I'm sure the locals would dissagree.As I have said,it would be a cracking event with the right organisers at the helm.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2175726)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Do they have a problem with noise at Donington? I've always thought that having the track under the flightpath of East Midlands Airport would make it less of a problem, or are you thinking of other issues, Terry? Since the Autosport 3 hours meeting is a two day event you could have it at Snetterton on the day that the sports cars don't run their big race. Are you actually looking for something longer than 3 hours for the saloons?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2175733)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

John. Believe it or not, they DO have noise issues at Donington! For this coming weekend, we are having two of their 'unrestricted noise' days but the test day on Friday, for instance is limited, off the top of my head, to 105 dB.
Noise is now an issue EVERYWHERE, mainly, as we all know, brought about by pressure from residents who moved in recently knowing full well there was a race circuit nearby....but don't get me started!!!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2175764)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That any of these ****ts could live on top of an Airport and then moan about the noise from a race circuit beggers belief.We were testing a F430 two years ago there only to get Black Flagged for noise,a brand new ,un-molested car,Ferrari should have known better!.
John T,I think that a Four Hour would be perfect,I agree that Snett would be the obvious choice but 2hrs on there?.I think that the "Usual" stint of 1.5hrs is just a little less than most enduro drivers would like,two gives a little more time for any problems to be sorted and still give the drivers a decent run.
Again,only personal preference,but I think the GP at Silverstone would be the better chioce,perhaps a joint venture between HSCC & Masters,there must be enough saloon drivers between them to get a decent grid together,plus the fact that all the cars would be somewhere near legal.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2175765)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, it's enough to drive you nuts ..... hang on, I already am!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2175772)   #19
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anybody know about the "Parade of Lister racing cars"? When is it scheduled to take place?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2175788)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Not yet Marcus - I'm only the Clerk and will probably be the last to know!
I'll try and remember to PM you when I find out. Why, do you have a nice Lister tucked away somewhere?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2175960)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Brands Hatch had a 6 hour in Aug 1963 for saloons

John WIllment entered Zodiacs, Anglias, Galaxy and the other car, the name escapes me now it won its class anyway, I'd be first in the queue to enter if they did that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Since the Autosport 3 hours is proving so popular, how about recreating the long distance saloon car races held at Brands Hatch in the '60's. I think they were 500 miles (I WAS only a child at the time! ) - probably a bit long - but wasn't there one called the Motor Show 200?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2176230)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
IF such an event were to be organised,I think I could be tempted to by something to use. I was going to suggest a capacity limit of 3.4 ltr,just to let the Jags in,possibly a Sixty's BTCC?. I think the Tanks should be left out though.Perhaps 60s/70s would be better,that opens up the possibility of more entries,Capris etc.?

Last edited by terence; 13 Apr 2008 at 07:29.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2176248)   #23
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lister parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Not yet Marcus - I'm only the Clerk and will probably be the last to know!
I'll try and remember to PM you when I find out. Why, do you have a nice Lister tucked away somewhere?
No I don't! But my brother in law (Roland Urban) is planning to bring his Lister over from France (the ex-Hillwood Jaguar engined one).
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2176266)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Terry

its simple, have a 3 hour European pre66 race, then a 1 hour US one, most of them will have fallen off by then anyway, especially if it rains

a whole day of tin tops, 50's, early 60's. late 60's, 70's and 80's would be great at Brands.

somewhat off topic . . . slightly BoT . . .why is it only Snetterton that has the longer historic races over here ?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2176282)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Brands Hatch had a 6 hour in Aug 1963 for saloons

John WIllment entered Zodiacs, Anglias, Galaxy and the other car, the name escapes me now it won its class anyway, I'd be first in the queue to enter if they did that again.
I was there with the Alan Fraser race team running Rapiers
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !