Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 May 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2215118)   #1
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival, 2008

Has anyone received their invite for this years Revival meeting?
Old 30 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2215213)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes ;o))
Old 30 May 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2215217)   #3
Fan
Veteran

When did you get it? Recently? Just trying to figure out if we still have a chance!
Old 30 May 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2215221)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got it last Friday but I get the impression it is done by race so dont give up hope - at my advanced years I perhaps should not get so excited about being invited, but I am!!!!!
What car have you got?
Old 30 May 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2215257)   #5
Fan
Veteran

It's a 1960's F1 car, for the Glover Trophy. Hopefully we'll get in this year, we haven't been invited for a while!
Old 30 May 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2215303)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Answer to Message 1-No
Old 30 May 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2215308)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Me too.
Old 30 May 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2215309)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

John they obviously heard your views on the subject - however we know that you will slide in disguise ;o)
Old 30 May 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2215327)   #9
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think Lord March must have lost my address.....

James

Last edited by SZRacer; 30 May 2008 at 13:44.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2226450)   #10
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, to bump this - apart from 'Lucky Simon' has anyone else received Goodwood invites yet?

Looking back to the one and only time I got an invite (2005), I received it on around the 9th June.

Guess this year won't be my lucky year (and yes, John, I know you hate it!)

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Has anyone received their invite for this years Revival meeting?
Old 12 Jun 2008, 05:00 (Ref:2226615)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, despite the fact that the car was in the 1953 9Hr.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2226703)   #12
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont think a certain VERY fast GT40 driver will be too optimistic about getting his invite this year!
Old 12 Jun 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2226706)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

Fearless Frank was forgiven... that was a difficult one - as a spectator I have to say Bellm/Frank made a great race although I understand the issues. Mind you in the full scheme of "a great spectacle" is it any worse than some of the 50's cars' overengineering?
Old 12 Jun 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2226768)   #14
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Fearless Frank was forgiven... that was a difficult one - as a spectator I have to say Bellm/Frank made a great race although I understand the issues. Mind you in the full scheme of "a great spectacle" is it any worse than some of the 50's cars' overengineering?
Was he? well well, just goes to show that compassion is not entirely devoid amongst the landed gentry. Just goes to show how wrong one can be.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2226773)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

forgiven in so much as he was there last year...
Old 28 Aug 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2276947)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Latest press release - the Vulcan to perform over Goodwood!

RARE PRE-1966 AIRCRAFT SCRAMBLE FOR THE 2008 GOODWOOD REVIVAL

" Goodwood Revival air displays to include the Vulcan bomber.
" The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight also to stage air displays.
" 'Freddie March Spirit of Aviation' pre-1966 aircraft concours d'elegance, including the world's oldest airworthy Spitfire, plus the largest aircraft ever to land at Goodwood, the DC6.

With just three weeks to go until the 2008 Goodwood Revival meeting (19-21 September), the nostalgic appeal of the world's most authentic historic motor race meeting is set to continue with a huge variety of rare aircraft to complement the racing on terra firma.

The origins of the Goodwood Motor Circuit are based around the perimeter road of former RAF Westhampnett, a key Battle of Britain airfield and the location of Sir Douglas Bader's final sortie.

Throughout the Revival weekend a series of legendary aircraft - long associated with Goodwood - will be flying over the famous motor circuit. In addition to air displays featuring Spitfire, Corsair and Mustang, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will also perform a special display.

On Sunday 21 September, Revival spectators should be in for a real ground shaking treat as they will have the rare opportunity to see and hear a pre-1966 jet-powered aircraft perform over Goodwood. The stunning Vulcan bomber is expected to make an appearance in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the classic West Sussex motor circuit.

Down on the ground, the prestigious 'Freddie March Spirit of Aviation' - an aeronautical 'concours d'elegance' that recalls the style and excitement of flying as it used to be - will be held again this year following on from its successful debut at the 2007 Goodwood Revival. Freddie March, the present Earl of March's grandfather, was a keen aviation engineer, as well as an accomplished racing driver and vehicle coachwork designer.

This attraction for historic aircraft built up to 1966 - the same cut-off year as all motor vehicles permitted on site during the Revival meeting - is in memory of the great man who had such an influence on Goodwood. Leading oil and gas exploration and production company Oil Exco are headline sponsors of the Freddie March Spirit of Aviation for 2008.

In addition to exciting aircraft, this year's Revival will celebrate the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Goodwood motor circuit, recalling the halcyon days of motor racing as it used to be in Goodwood's heyday up to 1966, with all of the accompanying spectacle and glamour of the era, with competitors and spectators alike dressed in period fashions. The event promises an exceptional selection of the best machinery on the planet with a spectacular array of cars and motorcycles, plus fabulous star drivers and riders to thrill the crowds on all three days of motor racing.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2276971)   #17
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't booked my tickets yet, should extract digit. Can't wait
Old 30 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2278308)   #18
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know which races are actually on this year?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2278312)   #19
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/conte...The-Races.aspx

Not sure if they have published entry lists yet though....
Old 31 Aug 2008, 05:37 (Ref:2278508)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased to say I will not be on it.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2278550)   #21
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come off it Terry, you can't seriously say you wouldn't like to race at the Revival if you were given a chance!
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2278553)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Come off it Terry, you can't seriously say you wouldn't like to race at the Revival if you were given a chance!
I can and was.I just cannot be bothered with it,too much hanging around,too crowded etc. Supposed to have been in the ex Jack Sears A90,could have been fun [elsewhere]!Really not my cup of tea ,dear boy.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2278575)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

you mean the A95 which John Yung is entering I guess as I have just looked at the entry list and there isn't an A90 in it (this admittedly is about 2 weeks old). Terry I have to say that you should reserve judgement about Goodwood until you have actually done it - must people who slag it off have never been invited (with one very vocal exception - JR).
Given you were presumably going to be the Star driver I would have relished the chance to have raced (in a potential front running car) with the likes of Bobby Rahal, Arturo Merzario, Derek Bell etc... snapping at my heels - certainly look good on your professional racing CV - I cant help thinking that you made an error of judgement there......
Old 31 Aug 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2278592)   #24
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with T.B. on this one. I've "done" Goodwood twice and it was a spectacular event and my wife loved the dressing-up and the Driver's Club and the ball.

But the circuit leaves me cold, it's incredibly dangerous and there are too many once-a-year racers out there. In those two latter respects it's a bit like LMC, but at Le Mans you've got time and room to avoid them, and the circuit itself more than makes up for that.

Two of my mates have been badly hurt at Goodwood- that doesn't endear me to the place.

Also, it feels like Goodwood somehow doesn't really reflect what "we", i.e. our itinerant band of historic racers, do the rest of the year. All those cars that you only ever see in the TT or the Whitsun. . . all those pros and ex-pros driving who you'll never see at another historic meeting. I can't really put my finger on it, except to say it's like one of your mates got rich and invited you round for a barbeque and you find he's had the interior designers in and he's slumming it with the celebs and it's all going to be in "Hello" and it won't be you in any of the pictures, just the peculiar orange people. He's still your mate, but it feels somehow slightly strange.

I've got a drive in the Britcar 24 Hours and I'm looking forward to that far more than I did to G'wood second time around. I won't feel like I'm missing anything, and roll on Charade and the Six Hours.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2278641)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
you mean the A95 which John Yung is entering I guess as I have just looked at the entry list and there isn't an A90 in it (this admittedly is about 2 weeks old). Terry I have to say that you should reserve judgement about Goodwood until you have actually done it - must people who slag it off have never been invited (with one very vocal exception - JR).
Given you were presumably going to be the Star driver I would have relished the chance to have raced (in a potential front running car) with the likes of Bobby Rahal, Arturo Merzario, Derek Bell etc... snapping at my heels - certainly look good on your professional racing CV - I cant help thinking that you made an error of judgement there......

Simon,I did go to it a few years ago,only spectating but even so I did not like it.I have decided that it really is not what I want to do,I am not perfect,perhaps it is an error of judgement,but it is one I'm more than happy with.I have to say that the circuit itself is to my liking,its just not my idea of a great weekend,I would happily drive it some other time though.As for Marks views,I'll go along with them.

Last edited by terence; 31 Aug 2008 at 11:04.