Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Sep 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3770658)   #2176
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Foxtel could do the same thing with Moto GP and probably will for 2018.The current Supercars deal is different and I think they are required to keep 6 events on FTA.The next deal might look very different.The media changes that went through parliament a few weeks ago pretty much gutted the anti siphoning list and I think that not even Bathurst is now exempt.Supercars will have the option to move to pay alongside their own streaming offering and leave FTA entirely.This is a distinct possibility although they might be tempted to sell Bathurst as a once off to FTA.I have been posting here for years that the future for all sports is pay + streaming as FTA no longer have the money to make a competitive rights bid.
In the short term this is Laclan getting his revenge for not getting ownership of 10.Poetic justice that the final decision came down to the staff as unsecured creditors and they voted near unanimously to go with CBS rather than any Murdoch.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 03:53 (Ref:3770838)   #2177
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume Channel 10 will keep showing the monday night highlights on ONE?

Does this mean AJ is out of a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sounds like the F1 deal was different in a subtle way to the Supercar / MotoGP deal and that Fox were providing the feed to 10 for a limited number of races.
I don't think Foxtel provided 10 a feed for the F1, Foxtel takes the complete SKY Sports UK coverage with their graphics, presnters and all, while Channel 10 takes the Channel 4 UK coverage & commentary
Old 1 Oct 2017, 04:54 (Ref:3770844)   #2178
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Monday highlights will continue.One thought I have had is "what's in this for Liberty?".They would have had to approve this change in the contract.Possibly when they start rolling out their own F1 streaming platform next year in markets where the Tv contract allows it Australia will be able to get access to this under the new contract.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3770847)   #2179
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I don't think Foxtel provided 10 a feed for the F1, Foxtel takes the complete SKY Sports UK coverage with their graphics, presnters and all, while Channel 10 takes the Channel 4 UK coverage & commentary
Thanks, I don't have Foxtel so wasn't really across that but what you say makes complete sense. As this announcement came out from Foxtel, I'm assuming that they must have had exclusive rights for Oz but gave permission for the 10 broadcast of some races but have now withdrawn that permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The Monday highlights will continue.One thought I have had is "what's in this for Liberty?".They would have had to approve this change in the contract.Possibly when they start rolling out their own F1 streaming platform next year in markets where the Tv contract allows it Australia will be able to get access to this under the new contract.
Liberty might not have had much opportunity to influence this one. If Foxtel have exclusive rights for Oz, give permission to 10 but then withdraw that permission, there is no change to the contract other than removing Foxtel's permission. Might be something like that and Liberty are just stuck with it?
Old 1 Oct 2017, 05:47 (Ref:3770853)   #2180
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Thanks, I don't have Foxtel so wasn't really across that but what you say makes complete sense. As this announcement came out from Foxtel, I'm assuming that they must have had exclusive rights for Oz but gave permission for the 10 broadcast of some races but have now withdrawn that permission.

Liberty might not have had much opportunity to influence this one. If Foxtel have exclusive rights for Oz, give permission to 10 but then withdraw that permission, there is no change to the contract other than removing Foxtel's permission. Might be something like that and Liberty are just stuck with it?
Bernie's contracts were always drawn up so he would not be "just stuck" with anything.These contracts cover every eventuality.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3770859)   #2181
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given supercars is a national category, with national sponsors, I'm sure the teams, category sponsors and state governments who foot the bill for the races will put a bit of pressure on Supercars Management to keep the current arrangement, otherwise they'd all be loosing a fair bit of return on their advertising investment.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3770875)   #2182
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Bernie's contracts were always drawn up so he would not be "just stuck" with anything.These contracts cover every eventuality.

Clearly not in this case though, otherwise Fox would not have been able to turn off the tap with immediate effect.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3770880)   #2183
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can any way possible Ten might drop some of the big Supercar events, which I sincerely hope they don't.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3770886)   #2184
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Losing the live F1 races is a definite pain in the posterior, tempered by several options for live streams.

There hasn't been a live stream of Supercar for a while now
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Oct 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3770891)   #2185
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Clearly not in this case though, otherwise Fox would not have been able to turn off the tap with immediate effect.
You're assuming the first Liberty knew of this was when they read it on Speedcafe.Don't think so.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3770894)   #2186
William5
Racer

Ten has changed their wording in press releases about Supercars. First it was biggest V8 Supercar events (including Clipsal 500 and Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000).

Now they say that their line-up includes the Supercars Championship, including Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

Am I reading too much into it.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3770940)   #2187
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
You're assuming the first Liberty knew of this was when they read it on Speedcafe.Don't think so.
Not assuming that at all. You suggested that they Liberty would have had to approve of a change to the contract, I've simply suggested that the contract may not have changed other than Foxtel has withdrawn its permission for 10 to broadcast live F1 races as well and that as a result, there was nothing that Liberty could approve or not but no doubt they would have been informed (if reasonably business practice was followed)
Old 1 Oct 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3770944)   #2188
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not assuming that at all. You suggested that they Liberty would have had to approve of a change to the contract, I've simply suggested that the contract may not have changed other than Foxtel has withdrawn its permission for 10 to broadcast live F1 races as well and that as a result, there was nothing that Liberty could approve or not but no doubt they would have been informed (if reasonably business practice was followed)
Force majeure triggered by #10 shifting into administration might well have been the tipping point, plus whatever costs weren't recovered..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Oct 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3771158)   #2189
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There hasn't been a live stream of Supercar for a while now
Inside Australia. OS subscribers have been enjoying the supercar web streaming this year - approx $30 per season. Gets rave reviews.

F1 10/Foxtel - I believe 10 sold/gifted the rights to the SKY feed to Foxtel to help cut their costs and future obligations and then paid for the lesser CH4 feed. Will be interesting to see what Liberty have to say but since the highlights package will continue (for now) they might not care too much (for now.)

Was interesting with Liberty's move to bring FTA races to France in the build up to the French GP next year.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3771159)   #2190
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bathurst channel has started on Fox.

Great time of the year
Old 2 Oct 2017, 03:41 (Ref:3771164)   #2191
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Great time of the year
Complete with V8 Supercar class racing.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 04:41 (Ref:3771167)   #2192
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Great time of the year
I havent even gone there yet, dont you end up watching repeats or repeats of repeats of stuff.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3771168)   #2193
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I havent even gone there yet, dont you end up watching repeats or repeats of repeats of stuff.
Sort of has to be the case, Not a lot of new content happening on Monday of raceweek
Old 2 Oct 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3771169)   #2194
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Aussie F1 fans lose free TV broadcasts

Quote:
The free-to-air telecasts have been banished from Channel 10 because, according to F1’s commercial arm, when the network was placed into administration on 17 June, it owed $20 million in rights fees.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3771173)   #2195
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Complete with V8 Supercar class racing.
Yes, looks like nothing pre-1997 in terms of old races.... i guess they didn't want to pay to show the Channel 7-owned footage this year (last year they showed 1977, 1984...1991?)
Old 2 Oct 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3771175)   #2196
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
So this was Liberty's call rather than Foxtel's.Are 10 also this far behind in payment to Supercars and Moto GP?If this is the case then things will change quickly.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3771206)   #2197
William5
Racer

Quote:
Are 10 also this far behind in payment to Supercars and Moto GP?If this is the case then things will change quickly.
What do you mean by this, if it were to occur. Like what Supercar events will stay and naturally Australian MotoGP
Old 2 Oct 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3771207)   #2198
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
What do you mean by this, if it were to occur. Like what Supercar events will stay and naturally Australian MotoGP
Who knows, from the sounds of it Supercars require Foxtel to find a FTA partner to cover live events for, I assume, the current 6 that TEN do.

Would 7 or 9 be interested in this same part time arrangement, taking footage straight from the Supercars/Foxtel feed though as TEN were?
Old 2 Oct 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3771400)   #2199
William5
Racer

Interestingly Ten have dumped Channel 4 commentary team and have just used Fox Sports commentary team (aka Sky Sports) for the Formula 1 highlight coverage last night.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3771411)   #2200
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
Interestingly Ten have dumped Channel 4 commentary team and have just used Fox Sports commentary team (aka Sky Sports) for the Formula 1 highlight coverage last night.
They probably haven't paid Channel 4 either.I think the dumping worked the other way when it became apparent the CBS weren't going to pay the $20mill arrears they owed on the contract.Whatever F1 is on FTA is strictly a charity job.