Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3916855)   #1321
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There wasn't an alternative.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3916856)   #1322
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Great news for F1, would have been a travesty if we lost the British GP
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3916871)   #1323
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Please reread my post. I think you somehow missed what I thought was my clear point that racing should NOT be run like a big business. That one of the problems is that it IS run that way. On this point we may be in violent agreement?

Richard

Indeed - have a beer on me
Old 12 Jul 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3917151)   #1324
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would agree that is a good place to start. I don't know the full history, but I can envision that "F1" as a business probably has a sweet spot that would have it being much smaller (as a business) than it is today. In that it's not expected to create a "large" amount of revenue and profit for shareholders, but could still be profitable.

I would say it went sideways when Ecclestone got commercial rights and later when he solidified control with the broadcast rights. I am not saying he didn't bring improvements, but to be clear... It was about extracting money from F1 and making himself exceedingly rich. F1 was (and still is) treated like an ocean full of fish just to be pulled from the water and sold. I think we are now seeing that the ocean is not limitless.

It's much to late to fix this issue, but the goal of the business entity should not be to make large amounts of money, but rather to promote the sport. Be the glue that brings participants and fans together. If funding for teams is driven by sponsorship, then help facilitate that by getting the sponsors logos, etc. in front of as many eyeballs as possible. That the fans should not be significant direct profit centers for "F1". Sure promoters need to make money, etc. from ticket sales, but F1 itself, should not be a big business.

However F1 (via FOM) is a for profit entity that values growth and profit above all else. The goal is to squeeze everyone involved as much as possible. Efforts today is just to try to address what is looking to be a stagnant business with the goal to protect revenue.

Richard
I think a single word covers what has happened to F1 and in fact all professional sport....GREED.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3917887)   #1325
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone saw the two Mercs qualify 1-2 then drive off unchallenged into the distance, the battle for the lead over after 4 laps. Red Bull and Ferrari took the next three positions and that would have been the next four but for a silly mistake.

Yet it is being lauded pretty much across the board as a very good race, following on from another good race in Austria.

So what's the problem we're trying to "fix" again?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3917901)   #1326
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Trying to make cars overtake without DRS would be a start
Old 15 Jul 2019, 19:59 (Ref:3917903)   #1327
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They won't do away with DRS.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3917915)   #1328
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A start of what?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3917917)   #1329
S griffin
Veteran

A start to fixing F1ís problems
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3917922)   #1330
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Quote:
A start to fixing F1’s problems
What problems are those?

We just had a couple of great races. Despite Merc driving off into the distance and the top three teams dominating. Despite DRS and outwash and fragile tyres.

So if we can have great races despite all those things still being with us, what exactly is the problem?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3917924)   #1331
S griffin
Veteran

The problem is DRS is an artificial way to create overtaking and requires little skill compared to passing without it
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3917929)   #1332
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The problem is DRS is an artificial way to create overtaking and requires little skill compared to passing without it
I've said it before, several times: everything about motor racing at any level is "artificial".

If you want pure, you probably need to go back to the original Olympia, except competitors probably cheated there too.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:26 (Ref:3917930)   #1333
S griffin
Veteran

That sounds like a bit of a cop out. Overtaking used to be about skill. Now most of the time itís about pushing a button and the rulemakers having to decide where best to use it and for how long
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:53 (Ref:3917937)   #1334
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course there is skill involved but overtaking is also a function of power and aerodynamics.

Buttons vs pedals is also be an issue of semantics no?

While i also think its all artificial, i think we can all agree a better balance needs to be found...not just for a race or two but over seasons.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3917946)   #1335
S griffin
Veteran

I think if the car has more power, itís a question of when it will get past. If two cars have equal performance, 9 times out of 10, it should be a matter of if