Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4038001)   #976
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
perhaps a series of polls? tournament style.

use one of the autosport lists as the seeding for the brackets and then we vote our way through the matchups....march madness styles!
Now this idea I like.
Maybe the current poll should be used for seeding purposes, with wild cards added from other names that crop up?

Then - put these into a bracket and see where it goes....
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4038012)   #977
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What is March Madness?
Is that student netball tournament?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4038015)   #978
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco and Clark Didn’t always drive there as it clashed with Indy that he did dominate there.
When he did drive there he usually led and then the Chapman car let him
Down
Old 2 Mar 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4038017)   #979
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My list

Clark
Prost
Senna
Schumacher
Hamilton
Piquet
Fangio
Lauda
Ascari
Hill
Brabham

Guys who won it multiple times, and maybe in different cars.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:09 (Ref:4038024)   #980
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
My list

Hill
Which Hill?
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4038025)   #981
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Would have thought it a uphill task to get either of them on list
As Piquet is on some of. lists assume anything goes.James Hunt ?
Should go for potential Tony Brise , now how many remember him. He would have been a star
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:17 (Ref:4038027)   #982
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Should go for potential Tony Brise , now how many remember him. He would have been a star

I remember Tony Brise. What a tragedy that was.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4038065)   #983
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shall spit if someone mentions Tommy Byrne.......
Old 2 Mar 2021, 23:10 (Ref:4038112)   #984
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What is March Madness?
Is that student netball tournament?
It's what Jochen Mass said when he first drove the 821!
Old 2 Mar 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4038113)   #985
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How long a list would you like under the heading 'potential'? That's a definite different topic!
Old 3 Mar 2021, 02:56 (Ref:4038125)   #986
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But do you know which ones? It's only 'almost every point' - which leads me to think that there are some points Skam85 agrees with?

I'm not sure Ten-tenths could cope with another lengthy post in all honesty
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4038178)   #987
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I think there are plenty of folk, both enthusiasts and members of the general public who are put off by Lewis's life style and gestures, irrespective of his success as a driver, particularly during the last year. While not one can disagree with the basis of his push for equality, his support for BLM rather than taking a wider view of inequality, has put a lot of people off him and encourages some unpleasant views.
it interesting how many people have remarked to me, or on SM, their admiration for Billy Monger and his cheerful and positive attitude during his charity walk.
It was have been so good if Sir Lewis had given a day of his valuable time to have walked with Billy. it would have certainly done his image a lot of good.

Last edited by Derwent; 3 Mar 2021 at 09:58.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:12 (Ref:4038188)   #988
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
None of the other 19 current F1 drivers joined Billy either. Its a shame because it certainly would have done their image a lot of good.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4038189)   #989
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

And more to point would have helped Billy!
He should have been given backing by whole of racing fraternity.
Didn’t happen!
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4038194)   #990
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hamilton did make a significant donation to Billy's recovery costs, along with Button and a few others. Also I'm happy to be corrected but IMO most, if not all, of the drivers do make contributions to their selected charities, but we don't get to hear about it.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:36 (Ref:4038200)   #991
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It’s one of the highest profile charity and we hope teams or individuals backed Billy
Hope he has raised lots but am thinking that’s unlikely or we would have been told about it.
The motor racing gang could be shown to be a self centred well off people who don’t think about others.
Most of these TV backed charity walks make at least 100 k +
I gave my contribution did you?
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4038201)   #992
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4038226)   #993
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If this is Lewis' last season, which I have a feeling it might be, it's going to be really interesting to see if anyone can beat him before he goes. Come on Bottas, this is your big opportunity!
Old 3 Mar 2021, 13:46 (Ref:4038285)   #994
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Bottas4.0
Old 4 Mar 2021, 09:32 (Ref:4038541)   #995
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
It's actually a good point you raise. Prost and Vettel have similar stats, but Vettel particularly is diminished.

Vettel's comparable stats are a reflection of the change in nature how F1/racing has evolved.

This millennium, F1 is so expensive and strict on tech regs, and the sporting regs favour the the best car, that it's impossible to overcome and advantage of the best car, and much easier to maintain it if you do. Money makes more of a difference than before. The merit of total wins isn't as impressive as it would be if similar occurred up until the 90s. The difference being is that you couldn't rack up those kind of stats.

Prost's 4 titles are of greater merit (Including the freebie in 93) than Schumacher's 5 at Ferrari, Vettel's 4, and Hamilton's last 6.
Yes, I was facetiously referring to Vettel. Prost is certainly a sometimes underconsidered driver. He had great speed and the fact that he claims to have driven only at the necessary speed to win means he was quite canny. Having said that, he did seem to have trouble dragging results out of recalcitrant cars at times, although is that unfair? Would people say he achieved some really good results with difficult-handling cars? Only very few drivers get very strong results with dodgy cars.

He didn't seem to inspire awe in the way Senna did, but that's the romantic's thing speaking. The same with Villeneuve. I mean, many consider Villeneuve one of the greatest, but just look at the results. They're not there.

Re: Bottas, I'm a bit concerned he doesn't believe he can beat Hamilton. In the interview at the launch, he talked about doing his best and seeing what the results would be at the end of the year. It wasn't exactly world champion-talk. You want to hear him saying 'I'll do my best and at the end of the year, I think I can beat this guy standing next to me. If you hear the context of the question, you might expect a bit more fighting talk.

Last edited by Born Racer; 4 Mar 2021 at 09:45.
Old 4 Mar 2021, 21:45 (Ref:4038786)   #996
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Yes, I was facetiously referring to Vettel. Prost is certainly a sometimes underconsidered driver. He had great speed and the fact that he claims to have driven only at the necessary speed to win means he was quite canny. Having said that, he did seem to have trouble dragging results out of recalcitrant cars at times, although is that unfair? Would people say he achieved some really good results with difficult-handling cars? Only very few drivers get very strong results with dodgy cars.

He didn't seem to inspire awe in the way Senna did, but that's the romantic's thing speaking. The same with Villeneuve. I mean, many consider Villeneuve one of the greatest, but just look at the results. They're not there.

Re: Bottas, I'm a bit concerned he doesn't believe he can beat Hamilton. In the interview at the launch, he talked about doing his best and seeing what the results would be at the end of the year. It wasn't exactly world champion-talk. You want to hear him saying 'I'll do my best and at the end of the year, I think I can beat this guy standing next to me. If you hear the context of the question, you might expect a bit more fighting talk.
Prost beat the Williams pair and Senna in 1986 driving arguably a lesser package. Well it wasn't as quick anyway!

But some of that might also have been due to his not taking unecessary risks or percentage playing as you referred to?

Leads neatly onto GV who was the exact opposite. However we can point to his 1980 season in the T5 and more specifically 1981 to see when the results clearly flattered his Ferraris!

I don't think anyone else could have done what he did with the 126CK. The bloke never stopped trying but there are a few times when a little bit more patience could well have netted many more than his 6 wins.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4039389)   #997
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Okay, I'm not sure if you're saying that Hakkinen is better than Schumacher, or just that Schumacher is not the fastest driver of all time. By the way, I'm not saying Schumacher is the greatest driver of all time - I excluded him from that list because of Jerez 1997. I'm also not saying that he's the fastest on raw speed - that title definitely goes to Ayrton Senna. My argument is that, if there was a championship for every driver in history in equal cars (of course this is difficult to measure because of the differences between cars from different eras (Hamilton wouldn't beat Fangio in a 1950s car, but Fangio wouldn't beat Hamilton in a 2010s car), but lets just pretend that the cars they were driving all suited their driving styles, but were equally good), Michael Schumacher would win the championship, and I stand by that opinion.

I am going to assume you are arguing that Hakkinen was better than Schumacher. If this is not the case, I am sorry, but I don't see how Hakkinen can be used as an example to why Schumacher was less good than Hamilton, or Fangio, or Senna, so I will have to assume that you are arguing that Hakkinen was better than Schumacher.
Now you say that Hakkinen drove an inferior car to Schumacher in most of the seasons that they were in Formula 1. I'm sorry, but this is a totally pointless argument, because Hakkinen didn't beat Schumacher in those seasons. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but 1992, for example, is not evidence that Hakkinen is better than Schumacher, because Schumacher beat Hakkinen in a superior car. This proves nothing. Then, in 1994 Schumacher won the championship, with Hakkinen not even close on points (92 vs 26), but Schumacher again was in a superior car, so it proves nothing. What I will say is that I think the Williams was a lot better than the Benetton, so the fact that Schumacher beat him to the championship was very impressive. But Hakkinen beat Alesi in a slower car, of course. One way to try and compare them is through teammates. The Hakkinen-Herbert comparison is hard to make for the races, because the Lotus was so unreliable in 1992, but in qualifying Hakkinen was only just ahead (average 12.5 to 13.1). Schumacher was a lot further ahead of Herbert in 1995, but it is not a particularly fair comparison as it doesn't show the closeness in time, just in positions, and I cannot find the data for the differences in time. According to these stats, Hakkinen was slightly further ahead of Brundle than Schumacher was, but don't forget that Hakkinen had a whole season's more experience than Schumacher had at the times that they faced Brundle.

In 1996, Schumacher scored almost double the points of Hakkinen, but Irvine finished behind Coulthard. Was Irvine really that much worse than Coulthard? I don't think so. I think the Ferrari was superior to the McLaren in 1996, but not by the margin that Schumacher beat Hakkinen. I think Schumacher was considerably better than Hakkinen this year. Then to 1997. Schumacher was disqualified this year, and for this reason he cannot be the greatest of all time. But in terms of the championship that I discussed earlier, this disqualification is irrelevant, and the important thing is the overall season. Schumacher dragged his Ferrari within three points of Jacques Villeneuve in a Williams that was so much better. Meanwhile, Hakkinen was beaten by Coulthard. This year, Schumacher was a lot better than Hakkinen, and I think the driver made a big difference here, not just the car - again the Ferrari was better, but the McLaren was not too far off. Schumacher made the difference.

Now, 1998. Here, Hakkinen had the dominant car, but only just edged out Schumacher by fourteen points. Schumacher was the better driver overall. Of course, Hakkinen was a lot further ahead of Coulthard this year than in previous years, maybe because Hakkinen improved, or maybe because Coulthard was much worse than before. It is hard to say, but I still think Schumacher was the better driver this year. You have then rightly ignored 1999 due to Schumacher's injury, but then we get to 2000, where Schumacher just beat Hakkinen in a close fight. But was the Ferrari definitely better than the McLaren? Coulthard beat Barrichello in the championship, and Barrichello had done a brilliant job in previous seasons. One factor that hasn't been considered here is that Schumacher was given preferential treatment by Ferrari, but I don't think that made as big a difference as some have made it seem. Finally, 2001, where Hakkinen had a shocker of a season, and Schumacher dominated the championship. Seeing as Schumacher had a horrible time in 2010-2012, I think I will allow Hakkinen this bad season and not count it against him.

So, overall, I would agree with you that Hakkinen was a very good driver, and is definitely in the top twenty of all time. But he was not on Schumacher's level. Maybe you were not arguing that Hakkinen was better than Schumacher, and were simply arguing that Schumacher is not the fastest driver, but if this is true you cannot use Hakkinen as proof for this. So the 'inferior car' idea doesn't work, because Schumacher beat Hakkinen in his 'superior car,' so it proves nothing. You mentioned the F3 titles, and I don't think this is relevant to the comparison in Formula 1, as Formula 3 is very different. For an example in recent times, Pierre Gasly only just beat a rookie Antonio Giovinazzi to the GP2 crown in 2016, when they were teammates, so Giovinazzi seemed like the better driver. But now look at them in Formula 1. Gasly is a race winner, and Giovinazzi has had a very poor last two years. I stand by my opinion that Schumacher would have won the previously mentioned championship.
I would discourage you from writing such large posts because it's just going to do your head in.

Despite all that, What's your opinion that the substantial changes for the 1994 season heavily benefited Benetton/Schumacher?

The 94 rules were designed specifically to gut the Williams team. But as a consequence, it also shafted McLaren. They were getting better and better with their electronics, and they were affected as well, but it gets lost because of the Peugeot engines blowing up.

Benetton were good, but no great. A few opportune wins here and there, and that's it. Had the rules not changed for 94 (or ever) they were not going to win a championship.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4039394)   #998
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
I would discourage you from writing such large posts because it's just going to do your head in.

Despite all that, What's your opinion that the substantial changes for the 1994 season heavily benefited Benetton/Schumacher?

The 94 rules were designed specifically to gut the Williams team. But as a consequence, it also shafted McLaren. They were getting better and better with their electronics, and they were affected as well, but it gets lost because of the Peugeot engines blowing up.

Benetton were good, but no great. A few opportune wins here and there, and that's it. Had the rules not changed for 94 (or ever) they were not going to win a championship.

There was speculation that Benetton were using a driver aid, if it can be deemed as such, called ''launch control''. An investigation was carried out by LDRA Ltd. and subsequently the FIA in a press release said, the best evidence is that Benetton Formula Ltd. was not using "launch control''.

However, FIA Formula One Technical Delegate the late Charlie Whiting said, that in in accordance with Article 2.6 of the Formula One Technical Regulations, he was not satisfied Schumacher's car complied with the Regulations at all times during the San Marino Grand Prix, which would seem to contradict what the FIA were saying in their press release.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...s-release/655/
Old 8 Mar 2021, 02:43 (Ref:4039541)   #999
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There was speculation that Benetton were using a driver aid, if it can be deemed as such, called ''launch control''. An investigation was carried out by LDRA Ltd. and subsequently the FIA in a press release said, the best evidence is that Benetton Formula Ltd. was not using "launch control''.

However, FIA Formula One Technical Delegate the late Charlie Whiting said, that in in accordance with Article 2.6 of the Formula One Technical Regulations, he was not satisfied Schumacher's car complied with the Regulations at all times during the San Marino Grand Prix, which would seem to contradict what the FIA were saying in their press release.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...s-release/655/
It's all a bit hard for me to form a definite opinion on it. I tend to go with a Frank Dernie interview I saw on youtube. He claimed there wasn't any traction control, but didn't deny something could've have been done with IT guys at Benetton that he didn't know about.

What I do know, without a doubt, is that the rules for 94 were to stop specifically the Williams domination. The just went a bit overboard with it, and it also affected McLaren/Hakkinen.
Old 21 Aug 2023, 17:43 (Ref:4173567)   #1000
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As this was the only Lewis Hamilton thread I could find I'll post here.

It seems like one of Lewis's road cars has had a slight mishap in north Wales on the A55.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-66538428