Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2155845)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sir Jackie : Lewis Hamilton "complacent"

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/n...et_killed.html

Well, I guess he is kinda right, the GPDA would be much stronger if LH and KR joined. However, lack of TC did not any major incident in that race.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 18 Mar 2008 at 19:02.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2155948)   #2
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will defend Lewis Hamilton's right to choose on this issue (despite not being a massive Hamilton advocate (I'd call myself "Lewis neutral")).

If JYS knows there are several young talents not on the GPDA, then I figure it's a fraction unfair to impose this pressure on one man, irrespective of Hamilton's "position".

On the plus side, at least someone (Pedro de la Rosa) has filled the hole left by the departing Ralf Schumacher. Let's be positive!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2155958)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this JYS just making a noise for the sake of it again???
Old 18 Mar 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2155960)   #4
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To clarify what I said, I'm not against JYS being opinionated at all. Hopefully no-one will assume I'm anti-Stewart just because I think he might be wrong this time!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2155974)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, Lewis can do what he likes with regard to this issue. The beauty of a free world.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2155982)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Jackie is panicking far too much about safety. A lot of work has been done since 1994, and since the last time cars raced without driver aids. Only 1 of the 3 big crashes at Melbourne can be attributed to not having driver aids - Glock caught a bump in the grass and DC defended the corner too aggressively. The GPDA is better served by having experienced drivers as its main panel anyway.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2156014)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Is this JYS just making a noise for the sake of it again???
I was about to say the same !
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2156021)   #8
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's absolutely fair enough for Sir Jackie to put a bit of pressure on LH to get involved in the GPDA, and put safety on the agenda. Hamilton is the highest profile driver in the sport, no question, and his ability to direct media attention could be of great value when advocating driver safety issues. And, as Sir Jackie says, drivers themselves have to be at the forefront of safety advocacy, as they're the ones in danger! Complacency is dangerous. Nobody should doubt that deaths are still possible in F1.

Does Lewis have the right to free choice regarding involvement in the GPDA?
Absolutely.

Should he consider very seriously what Sir Jackie is saying?
Absolutely.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2156040)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Does Lewis have the right to free choice regarding involvement in the GPDA?
Absolutely.

Should he consider very seriously what Sir Jackie is saying?
Absolutely.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

People always tend to criticse JYS for being outspoken, but when you're a legendary figure in the sport, people tend to ask for your opinion, and rightly so.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2156043)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Given the splendid way in which the GPDA dealt with Schumacher's driving ethics I'm not surprised Hamilton's not interested.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2156053)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The GPDA is better served by having experienced drivers as its main panel anyway.
Maybe, although I do wonder, if younger drivers won't join, who's going to take over when those more experienced drivers leave the sport? The current directors are Webber, Trulli and de la Rosa (who isn't even a race driver) - none of them are likely to be around for years and years to come, so it is important in that respect that the newer drivers get involved.

That said, it is a free choice - I think to suggest that somebody is going to be killed, and associating it with the young drivers not joining the GPDA, is a bit excessive. Thankfully safety levels in F1 are now higher than they have probably ever been, and whilst I don't doubt that that's in some part due to the work of the GPDA, drivers have to be given a choice as to whether or not they join. Perhaps in the months and years to come, Hamilton (and this goes for Rosberg and the other drivers that the current GPDA directors are trying to attract) will reconsider and decide to involve himself in the running of the GPDA, but he should do that because he feels he has an important contribution to make rather than because he feels pressured to do so.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2156085)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yes, Lewis can do what he likes with regard to this issue. The beauty of a free world.
...with all its consequences.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2156092)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stewart
“That's how Francois was killed – he was cut in half. If you have ever seen that you want the barrier further back. That is why the GPDA is important and why Lewis should be in it. I have the highest respect for Lewis – I think he is the best thing since sliced bread, but he is inexperienced.

"Lewis is such a valuable asset to the sport. The media talks to him more than anyone else, and one of the reasons I got so much done in terms of safety was because I was 'the guy' at that time, but you have to prioritise your time. Lewis might have to do commercial appearances for Hugo Boss or whoever, but nobody did more of that than I did.
“The moment somebody dies there is a new awakening. These guys don't know how to deal with a death; they have never been up close. They have never been to a body when it is still in the car, never had to identify a body, never had to pack that person's clothes because the wife or the girlfriend can't face it.
I pray they never have to learn that, but the law of averages says that when you are doing 200mph, millimetres apart with mechanical failure or human error, you are going to have an accident. Nowadays that's a plane crash. So far we have been incredibly lucky, [but] we are on the slate to have a big shunt.”
Man, this is deep serious... I stopped supporting drivers when all those guys were being killed because of this. He knows what he's talking about and he's right. All the old guys around here, who watched F1 prior-90's, knows he's right.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2156109)   #14
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without JYS, there would never have been a GPDA with the sort of clout to pressure tracks to become safer & therefore save lives.. (which it certainly did).

His opinion in cases like this have more relevance than any one else living in this sport...
Old 19 Mar 2008, 01:20 (Ref:2156132)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
His opinion in cases like this have more relevance than any one else living in this sport...
There it is..
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2156187)   #16
foedude
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
foedude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
Without JYS, there would never have been a GPDA with the sort of clout to pressure tracks to become safer & therefore save lives.. (which it certainly did).

I don't agree with Stewart in this case, Hamilton is only in his second season and has far more demands on his time when compared with other F1 drivers, give him a break and once he's been there for a few years and experienced dealing with officials other drivers and "GOD" then he can contribute something back by way of GPDA.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2156191)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will not underestimate Jackie's words on the importance of safety. His opinions on F1 politics, spy saga etc may be "out of touch", but safety is one department where he could safely say "been there, saw that".

And on a broad picture, without just laying the finger on any particular drivers, i think that it is important for every driver on the grid to do their part. What ever good work that comes out from GPDA benefits ALL drivers, so it's kinda unfair and wrong for someone who just wants to enjoy the improved safety, and all, without contributing time or effort.

Like i've mentioned in another thread, in F1, like in any other sports, one day we will see death or a serious injury once again. But i think some people do not truly feel how real this threat can be, and i believe that is what Jackie says about complacency.

I'm sure drivers like Mark, like Pedro, like Stewart, like Coulthard all have better things to do, and they didn't join GDPA for fun. And considering that even MS have the time to do it as the head of the association (despite his own workload), i think it isn't much to ask some drivers to just offer 20mins (like what DC or Mark said) every alternate weekend to just discuss some issues.

The excuse is feeble, but i suppose he has a "right" not to join if he insists.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 04:04 (Ref:2156201)   #18
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Demands on thier time as a Member of the GPDC is pretty minimal, (according to the press,) even the Directors only do a "couple of hours a week".
Fact is as the peak body representing the drivers I would want to be a member, otherwise you have no right to complain, after all by not being a member you are effectively saying you do not want to be consulted with issues, not only but including safety.
At the end of the day it is their choice, but it would not be mine.
(Actually I would want the GPDA to have a stonger stance if I was a driver, consultation on things like changes to Tech, or formats, rules, the works)
Old 19 Mar 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2156203)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that the GPDA should be stronger in having their views on different aspects to be heard, even beyond safety.

But given how little time they have on their hands, it isn't surprising that safety takes up all of it.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2156467)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by foedude
I don't agree with Stewart in this case, Hamilton is only in his second season and has far more demands on his time when compared with other F1 drivers, give him a break and once he's been there for a few years and experienced dealing with officials other drivers and "GOD" then he can contribute something back by way of GPDA.
Yes, give him a break, but not for being an idol and valuable for the sponsors, they should have all the time they need. Maybe a couple of deaths later, he will have experience enough to deal with that sort of thing.
It's not a time issue or a experience issue. There's a huge difference in terms of what he's representing now in F1, even only in his second season due to what he has achieved in the track and with the audience, and any other driver that has been there for almost 15 years. He has the choice to not get involved in the politics or in the administration of the GPDA, but he should become a member and have a say in everything that is done, because he's a public person and right now certainly the one with most exposure to the media, and this is not because he has beautiful eyes, but because he is a talented driver, admired for that, and this has a weight to all who will listen to him, nobody can deny this.
It doesn't take his time but definitely demands character.

Last edited by Bononi; 19 Mar 2008 at 13:23.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2156471)   #21
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm kind of surprised that GPDA membership and meeting attendance isn't a mandatory (doctors notes accepted, of course) part of having a Superlicence/being an active F1 driver. I'm sure the drivers that don't go could suddenly find time if attending it was a necessary part of a GP weekend.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2156473)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Looks like GPDA is an independent entity from FIA, and many times crossing their interests...
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2156478)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The GPDA was founded in 1961 and was active during the 1960s and 1970s. Then, as now, the GPDA's primary objective was to improve and maintain safety standards. This led to boycotts of the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in 1969 and the Nürburgring in 1970 and after 1976.

The organisation was disbanded during the 1982 Formula One season due to the effects of the changing commercial organisation of F1 and the conflicts between FOCA and FIA.

The GPDA was reformed over the weekend of the 1994 Monaco Grand Prix, following the deaths of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger, as well as the serious accident of Rubens Barrichello at the San Marino Grand Prix two weeks before.
Then, it was too late to reserve things...

Maybe we need another weekend too late to reverse things again...
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2156494)   #24
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Lewis has a right not to be a member, I don't think it sits well with his ultra professional image. From what I've read, it wouldn't take up much of his time just to attend meetings and show his support even if he doesn't want to join the board.

The GPDA still fulfils an important role, and the safety advances it campaigns for benefit all the drivers not just those who participate. Their efforts to improve safety at testing for example. Hamilton is as likely to have a mechanical failure in testing as anyone else, and the presence of adequate medical facilities might prove critical.

Besides, from what I understand, the only two drivers who don't attend the GPDA are Hamilton and Raikkonen. The other young drivers manage, so why can't Lewis?
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2156534)   #25
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't they just stop doing bonehead overtaking moves then it will all be safe again?