Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Dec 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3947602)   #26
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
When I first saw it I thought "hyperbole".
Funny that when I type hyperpole my computer autocorrects to hyperbole.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3947606)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Daytona 24 has the same mentality of short qualifying followed by more and more FP. I believe it's officially there to encourage people to concentrate on race setup and not pole run. Which I guess is fine in theory but there the quali order means nothing anyways due to the caution resets, gift wave-bys, post-qualifing bop penalties and the fact you still receive grid position regardless whether you qualify. Also none of practice is televised and there is no warm-up on raceday morning. So for such chosen format it doesn't change things one way or another how you do it.

Le mans quali did mean something, now it's just more show for show's sake, much like LMH regulations.

Le Daytona 24h?

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Dec 2019 at 19:06.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3947614)   #28
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is garbage in every way. Artificial 'drama' for its own sake. Le Mans is such a huge event that it doesn't need to pander to casual fans with short attention spans looking for action.

And the idea of grids separated by class is pathetic. You've got six hours to qualify. If you can't hack it you deserve to start according to your lap time.

Literally tonight I am persuading an F1 fan to come to LM for the first time. And I have to explain this rubbish?
Old 21 Dec 2019, 00:26 (Ref:3947810)   #29
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It does allow for a few crippling BOP adjustments to be calculated before heading off for a nice meal in Le Mans by 10pm.

or maybe TV deal revenue to be increased for that session.

Last 2 hours will be pretty quiet in the stands too. Can't see an argument for less hold ups on track unless you separate LMP and GTE classes for quali session.
Old 21 Dec 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3947849)   #30
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
It does allow for a few crippling BOP adjustments to be calculated before heading off for a nice meal in Le Mans by 10pm.

or maybe TV deal revenue to be increased for that session.

Last 2 hours will be pretty quiet in the stands too. Can't see an argument for less hold ups on track unless you separate LMP and GTE classes for quali session.
That's what I took away from the announcement. The ACO want to make sure all the eyeballs are on one session, to the obvious detriment of the rest of the running time.

It's hard not to see this as reactionary in the extreme.