Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3961042)   #201
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In that case it more than served its purpose......
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:02 (Ref:3961082)   #202
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a pity they will not be able to witness another battle between Ford and Ferrari.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:56 (Ref:3961095)   #203
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well there’s plenty of others who can provide the action at Le Mans, we just need to keep watching, times have moved on
Old 8 Mar 2020, 00:33 (Ref:3962228)   #204
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I just had not gotten around to watching this. A close friend (who is not into motorsports) watched it recently and was asking me questions about it. I had to admit that I had yet to see it. So I watched it this past weekend.

As a movie, I felt it was very good. As mentioned by others it hit the standard cliches (lots of gear shifting, pushing the throttle down just a bit more to pass, giving other drivers the "stink eye" as you slowly pass them, over the top "rubbin is racin", etc.)

The question from the non-motorsports friend was interesting. Such as... Why did the Shelby guy get much credit? It seems that Miles basically built that car? My teen son watched it and while my son was interested in the entire Enzo vs. Henry II thing (and he knew the history in advance), I am sure the larger importance of the character "Lee Iacocca" to US auto manufacturing was completely lost on him.

I asked both my kids and my friends two questions...

1. They show the car just showing up at Shelby's location. Where do you think it came from? Their answer... Hmm, I don't know.

2. How many GT40 cars do you think where in the 1966 LeMans race? Their answer... Four? I think the correct answer is eight mk2 and a few mk1. So it wasn't clear in the movie how many cars were thrown at the race and how many of those didn't finish.

Anyhow, as already noted, it was a movie and not a documentary and my friend did enjoy it. Enough so that she was curious to consider paying attention to the 2020 race!

Richard
Why did the Shelby guy get much credit? It seems that Miles basically built that car?

To be fair, because it was he who Ford 'merica chose/headhunted to do the job and distribute the funds to do so...and he had won Le Mans in 1959 with Roy Salvadori in the Aston Martin.

Don't know how you can say Ken did not receive the correct amount of credit (watch it again?) where you will see that Shelby was his main supporter and credited Ken with developing the car to Henry Ford II.

[Not to mention Phil Remington for coming up with quick change brake assembly...a winning move...]

The sudden arrival of the car, the lack of background on its creation in the UK and any other input into its development that other drivers had was lacking.

Carol Shelby and Ken Miles were the co-stars of the movie...plus rather than the usual fairy tale Hollywood ending with Carol riding off into the sunset overdubbed with scenes of his subsequent success...was not shown, instead the movie ended on a sombre note with Kens demise handled sensitively...

That's my nickels worth
Old 8 Mar 2020, 04:14 (Ref:3962251)   #205
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watched. It is a good movie. Yes, some artistic license has been used, but no more than any of you use when telling a story down the pub.

Some bits I wondered about and have looked up since and the story were fairly told.

Certainly showed Miles in a good light and told a story of someone who isn’t one of the biggest names (especially if you aren’t the kind of person who frequents Motorsport forums).

Wasn’t outrageously over the top in the emotional parts too.

Better made than not.
Old 8 Mar 2020, 04:15 (Ref:3962253)   #206
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing I did wonder (and it doesn’t detract if made up), but did Shelby have a little test track at an airfield?
Old 8 Mar 2020, 05:02 (Ref:3962259)   #207
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
One thing I did wonder (and it doesn’t detract if made up), but did Shelby have a little test track at an airfield?
Don't know if the movie was accurate...but Shelby sure used an airfield...

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Ionia
Old 8 Mar 2020, 09:56 (Ref:3962292)   #208
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Reading Colin Chapman's biography last night I did find out Ford talked to him about building the car before they eventually decided to get Lola to do it
Old 8 Mar 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3962295)   #209
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Don't know if the movie was accurate...but Shelby sure used an airfield...

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Ionia
Thanks.
Old 8 Mar 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3962316)   #210
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
This week I finally watched Rush (2013) so it was interesting to compare since I saw them in this order. I liked more its "documentary"-style racing scenes, which more like short passages and as if the director had understood that less is more when it is so hard to keep them believable. It just smelled more like gasoline, sweat and blood, and captured the essence - the actual driving part - of the sport in a much better way. I'd give it 4/5 while FvF is 3/5 to me.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3962675)   #211
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
This week I finally watched Rush (2013) so it was interesting to compare since I saw them in this order. I liked more its "documentary"-style racing scenes, which more like short passages and as if the director had understood that less is more when it is so hard to keep them believable. It just smelled more like gasoline, sweat and blood, and captured the essence - the actual driving part - of the sport in a much better way. I'd give it 4/5 while FvF is 3/5 to me.
Ditto

The balance missing from FvsF:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...r-enzo-ferrari

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...s-extra-turns/

etc etc etc
Old 10 Mar 2020, 14:41 (Ref:3962780)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

Slightly O/T, next Wednesday on BBC4 they are showing a documentary on Steve McQueen’s Le Mans and why it was such a failure globally in terms of money.

No doubt the producers of Le Mans film needed to make something to appeal to all so they can make enough profit from it, rather than something solely for the racing purist as McQueen’s Le Mans was
Old 10 Mar 2020, 17:11 (Ref:3962802)   #213
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Slightly O/T, next Wednesday on BBC4 they are showing a documentary on Steve McQueen’s Le Mans and why it was such a failure globally in terms of money.

No doubt the producers of Le Mans film needed to make something to appeal to all so they can make enough profit from it, rather than something solely for the racing purist as McQueen’s Le Mans was
Oh thanks for the heads up I will put that onto record.

I also noticed that Le Mans 66 is now available in Sky Store to stream or keep.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3963427)   #214
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Looks like it is the full-length doc from 2015, "Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3504604/
Old 10 Apr 2020, 22:40 (Ref:3969920)   #215
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Had a rare trip to the cinema a little while ago to see this. Seems like another lifetime somehow! Enjoyed it... Good mix of entertainment and excitement whilst not straying *too* far from reality.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3970018)   #216
S griffin
Veteran

You can now get this film on Amazon Prime
Old 11 Apr 2020, 14:58 (Ref:3970084)   #217
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Really? I may have to take a look. Or perhaps I won't. We will have to see how that pans out. Will be interesting.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 06:15 (Ref:4001605)   #218
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans 66 is premiering ok Sky Movie’s Premier today the first showing is at 11.15 and it’s on again tonight at 8.

As Mrs J is out this evening that’s my evening sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 Sep 2020, 06:21 (Ref:4001607)   #219
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Enjoy, and perhaps it could inspire you to return, if we are ever allowed to
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4001624)   #220
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have the Blu-Ray. I've watched it three times now.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4001628)   #221
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Me too.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 19:02 (Ref:4001731)   #222
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they should have called it Ford VS Ken Milles

Ferrari was hardly in it
Old 11 Sep 2020, 20:47 (Ref:4001749)   #223
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or call it the tale of two badasses: Ken and Carroll.