Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Oct 2020, 00:28 (Ref:4008389)   #2701
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
My stepdaughter received an email from 'HM Courts and Tribunal Services' yesterday claiming she had violated some restriction at 16-24 hrs on 26th September, 2020, and had a penalty to pay by a certain date or it would be doubled. It did look very convincing but it failed to state where such violation occurred, so she's treating it as a scam.
They do seem to be more professional looking these days.

I had exactly the same email yesterday, right down to the time of the 'offence'. Took me a while to spot the grammar error and typo that gave it away. You'll be pleased to know that I certainly wasn't violating any restrictions with your stepdaughter....
Old 4 Oct 2020, 08:17 (Ref:4008464)   #2702
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
You'll be pleased to know that I certainly wasn't violating any restrictions with your stepdaughter....

I'm sure a gentleman such as yourself would never do such a thing ......especially as she was out hillwalking with her husband at the time of the alleged incident.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 10:44 (Ref:4008482)   #2703
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went through a phase of getting lots of these calls, and often they'd ask for me by name. When this happened, I just used to say "Hang on a minute, I'll go and see if I can find him..."

Then I'd put the phone down and carry on with whatever I was doing. It was fun seeing how long they'd hang on. Often, after a few minutes, I'd hear things along the lines of "Hello? Anyone there? Hello? Hello?" After a minute or two of this, they'd hang up.

Some of them did hang on for five minutes or more, which I always found satisfying, along the lines of 'You waste my time, I'll waste yours.'

Plus I reckon I was providing a public service, because all the time they're hanging on the line waiting for someone who's never gonna show, they're not hassling some other unsuspecting soul.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 20:12 (Ref:4008575)   #2704
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those who have been racing during a wet weekend and found it stimulating, how about a rather wet racing first lap at the Nordschleife with the start and end of the lap on the new circuit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEZHgr2D4o

You would think that a Porsche would have a useful windscreen wiper wouldn't you?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 04:26 (Ref:4008629)   #2705
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
For those who have been racing during a wet weekend and found it stimulating, how about a rather wet racing first lap at the Nordschleife with the start and end of the lap on the new circuit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEZHgr2D4o

You would think that a Porsche would have a useful windscreen wiper wouldn't you?
We only got 17hrs this year, rain of biblical status made night time driving impossible. Many rivers to cross. 😂
Old 5 Oct 2020, 05:52 (Ref:4008631)   #2706
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Terence! Didn't they improve the paint of the lane at the exit of the pits? I had a terrible surprise in the wet with my Corvette… Slippy !
Old 5 Oct 2020, 17:50 (Ref:4008721)   #2707
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
For those who may be interested in space exploration ,or any old film this guy has started to vastly improve the original footage from various exploits from years back.
Having been interested in the technology of film making since I was at school I find this amazing. If you have a few minutes to spare take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRG...HbUR6GhFLeEkPA
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Oct 2020, 23:10 (Ref:4008766)   #2708
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A small challenge for those of an inquisitive mind.

We went to elder daughter's place today doing some grandparenting and licking up older grandson from. Took Management's 2005 Corolla as many times before. Last week on another trip the key fob based locking played up. Almost impossible to lock and when locked did not respond to unlock. Must be the battery, right? But no warning in advance. And it worked fine once we left.

Today, much the same. Would not lock. Then it did. Then would not unlock.

Walked around to the school to get the child. On return I could unlock the car but not lock it (if you see what I mean).

This is not good at last week I discovered that the ignition key does not operate the locks. Not sure why there are locks fitted to driver door an tailgate if the key does not fit them. Not even close.

Now I have assumed that this is some local interference by an electrical device. But what?

The only thing that has obviously changed locally is a house across the road where there is a huge scaffolding structure in place with a massive tent type covering and usually 3 or 4 vans with electric equipment in place but they were absent today.

What might interfere with a 2005 Toyota remote? My Saab is OK afaik.

I had a Senator some years ago that seemed to have similar problems in one particular car park in Derby. I think that was due to an aftermarket alarm be challenged by all the radio masts on top of the now defunct central Derby hospital about 400 yards away.

And we know of some friends who, around 20 odd years ago, parked to ice-cream in a layby on the North Yorks moors somewhat near Fylingdales and discovered they were completely locked out of their brand new Shogun. The car had to be recovered and they did not get it back for several days. Awkward as they were at their holiday house and as a family of 7 (5 kids) their transport options for loan or rental cars were somewhat restricted.

But heck, a lowly Corolla?

We have never had the problem before. Remote works fine anywhere else.

I'm thinking that an RF scanner might be interesting for a discovery session but should I be looking at something else?

All suggestions (within reason) welcome.

ETA:

Also a week pr so back we were following an artic with LE D light sets on the trailer and when it used its indicators there was significant interference on the radio reception.

Following another rig with similar lights - same company - last week and no interference at all.

Some months back (may have been last year?) it went in for an airbag recall (fron passenger iirc) that involved partial dismantling of the dash. What's the potential for something being loose and now causing some issues rather intermittently. Maybe some shielding not doing its job?

Last edited by grantp; 5 Oct 2020 at 23:17.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 02:50 (Ref:4008779)   #2709
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hi Terence! Didn't they improve the paint of the lane at the exit of the pits? I had a terrible surprise in the wet with my Corvette… Slippy !

Still the same😂
Old 6 Oct 2020, 05:41 (Ref:4008786)   #2710
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Das ist eine grrrossse Skandallll !

Grant may be following the intervention a ground wire is missing. I remember a Lexus electrical system very sensible to electric devices, aerials and so on…
Old 6 Oct 2020, 06:56 (Ref:4008791)   #2711
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
grant, regarding your central locking issues you may be looking too deeply for an explanation to the problem. The wiring to all the locks pass through into the door from the pillar near to the hinge, so flex every time you open or close the door. In 15 years, the drivers door (if none of the others) will have been opened & closed a lot of times which could have caused some of these wires to fracture internally (how many times do you have to bend a wire coat hanger before it breaks?) Initially the wire inside the insulation will break, but as the insulation is still intact it can hold the broken wire pieces almost together, sometimes making enough contact, and something not.
As far as your physical key issue, I would say that the most logical explanation is that as some time in its life, the Corolla has had a replacement ignition barrel that was not matched to the car and therefore uses a different key. Often when the vehicles are newer with fully functioning remote central locking this potential problem is overlooked, it's only when you start to experience the problems that you are having that it comes to light. It might be a good idea to check this out before you reach the stage that you're unable to unlock you car. You can guarantee that when that happens it will be at the most inconvenient time!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 07:31 (Ref:4008792)   #2712
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The simpler the better …

Grant if you put things simply and clearly you'll receive more help. By the way is it you who couldn't read the Volvo XC owners manual few weeks ago?
Grant's problem:
Took Management's 2005 Corolla as before.
Last week the key fob based locking played up. Almost impossible to lock and when locked did not respond to unlock.
On return I could unlock the car but not lock it.
We have never had the problem before.
Remote works fine anywhere else.

Not good cose I discovered that the ignition key does not operate the locks.
Only change is a house across the road where there is a huge scaffolding structure with a massive tent type covering.
My Saab is OK. Years ago similar problems with my Senator in one particular car park. Aftermarket alarm jammed by the radio masts on top of the hospital 400 yards away.
Advice anyone? Tks.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 09:37 (Ref:4008806)   #2713
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Regarding radio interference, I had a customer with a Range Rover that had problems with the central locking and alarm when he parked it at his local Golf course. This only started to happen after a new cell phone relay mast was erected in the car park and he had no trouble anywhere else.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Oct 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4008808)   #2714
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were locked-out of a friend's BMW 7-Series one day when parked not far from MI5 (or is it MI6?) on the South Bank. The BMW man who came to our rescue said they had quite a few similar call-outs to cars in that area...
Old 6 Oct 2020, 10:26 (Ref:4008811)   #2715
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Had the same thing with no less than four brand new Lexus parked under high voltage lines near Roma during a press presentation. All the difference between keyless and useless! And the press responsible for Toyota was not very happy with our humor…
Old 6 Oct 2020, 10:27 (Ref:4008813)   #2716
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
We were locked-out of a friend's BMW 7-Series one day when parked not far from MI5 (or is it MI6?) on the South Bank. The BMW man who came to our rescue said they had quite a few similar call-outs to cars in that area...

Cue X-files type music!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4008815)   #2717
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
MI6 at Vauxhall Bridge.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 11:43 (Ref:4008821)   #2718
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some years ago in Ankara we used to have problems with mobile phones, especially blackberrys when passing the US Embassy. One American lawyer colleague had her phone completely crash, "bricked" as it were.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 12:22 (Ref:4008828)   #2719
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Cue X-files type music!
Good to see you, Mike!
David Vincent disappeared while driving a rusty Corolla, same thing for Fox Mulder when he tried to escape with his Senator! They both are now living in a strange village, David became # 12 and Fox # 14. Sorry can't say more about this for obvious reasons! The Village is within all of us…
Old 6 Oct 2020, 12:38 (Ref:4008830)   #2720
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good to see you, Mike!
David Vincent disappeared while driving a rusty Corolla, same thing for Fox Mulder when he tried to escape with his Senator! They both are now living in a strange village, David became # 12 and Fox # 14. Sorry can't say more about this for obvious reasons! The Village is within all of us…
You sound as though you are living in a strange place also, Gerard.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 14:20 (Ref:4008840)   #2721
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think he's been eating too much cheese again!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 15:23 (Ref:4008849)   #2722
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've entered the Twilight Zone!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 16:39 (Ref:4008862)   #2723
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
grant, regarding your central locking issues you may be looking too deeply for an explanation to the problem. The wiring to all the locks pass through into the door from the pillar near to the hinge, so flex every time you open or close the door. In 15 years, the drivers door (if none of the others) will have been opened & closed a lot of times which could have caused some of these wires to fracture internally (how many times do you have to bend a wire coat hanger before it breaks?) Initially the wire inside the insulation will break, but as the insulation is still intact it can hold the broken wire pieces almost together, sometimes making enough contact, and something not.
As far as your physical key issue, I would say that the most logical explanation is that as some time in its life, the Corolla has had a replacement ignition barrel that was not matched to the car and therefore uses a different key. Often when the vehicles are newer with fully functioning remote central locking this potential problem is overlooked, it's only when you start to experience the problems that you are having that it comes to light. It might be a good idea to check this out before you reach the stage that you're unable to unlock you car. You can guarantee that when that happens it will be at the most inconvenient time!

True enough but we have no problems at all at home or anywhere else so far.

Plus, of course, it's a Toyota.

As for history - we bought it 1 year old. If had previously been a Toyota employee car for the wife of one of the Japanese people working at the factory at Burnaston (we were told by the Toyota main dealer).

I don't recall any previous issues with the locks and we probably have never attempted to unlock the car with the key although I do recall Management getting stuck in the village with a failed Battery a few years ago. I think the central locking still worked on what power was available. So far as I recall. Or she had unlocked and then the failure occurred.

Think I'll check the manual and dig out the spare key and experiment next time we head over to the problem location.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4008866)   #2724
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhere over the rainbow

Mallory this afternoon during a Javelin Trackday
Attached Thumbnails
Mallory Rainbow.jpg  
Old 6 Oct 2020, 20:19 (Ref:4008900)   #2725
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Shttttt "They" are everywhere. I think Grant's Toy has been kidnapped and abused by Them… May be several times! Easy to spot, the steering wheel is on the right!