Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2021, 11:18 (Ref:4043897)   #251
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thing is I don’t have a problem with asphalt run off per se, even if it lessens the challenge of some corners. But when it’s in places where the track limits argument comes up, then it shouldn’t be there
Old 30 Mar 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4043901)   #252
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track limits are clearly defined by the ISC.

Why is it necessary to mess with that?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4043903)   #253
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Thing is I don’t have a problem with asphalt run off per se, even if it lessens the challenge of some corners. But when it’s in places where the track limits argument comes up, then it shouldn’t be there
But the whole entire point of the turn 4 tarmac is because it's a separate piece of track for a different layout! It's not just a runoff area. And because it's a piece of track, it may not be prudent (given the local peak temperatures) to build a wall across it a la Silverstone's International circuit using linked 1 and a half or 2 tonne concrete blocks as it'll ruin the surface given enough time in that heat.

Martin Brundle made a comment at the weekend about the fact that circuits had been changed to accommodate ever-faster and more complex cars and bikes, and sometimes the balance between the two isn't right for one or the other - or, sometimes, either.

Drivers have always pushed boundaries. They always will.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4043904)   #254
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Track limits are clearly defined by the ISC.

Why is it necessary to mess with that?
The biggest issue at the weekend was the changes in rules, and subsequent non-compliance.

Mr Masi needs to start throwing a few black'n'whites and time penalties at drivers who transgress the limit. They'll soon stop.

That said, it's what happens at club level in the UK and the beggars still do it! I have a notepad from a meeting at Donington last year that has something like 40 or 50 b'n'w or time penalties written in it. That was fun...
Old 30 Mar 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4043907)   #255
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The biggest issue at the weekend was the changes in rules, and subsequent non-compliance.

Mr Masi needs to start throwing a few black'n'whites and time penalties at drivers who transgress the limit. They'll soon stop.

That said, it's what happens at club level in the UK and the beggars still do it! I have a notepad from a meeting at Donington last year that has something like 40 or 50 b'n'w or time penalties written in it. That was fun...

The simple answer is to black flag all transgressors immediately just as they do in athletics, as I pointed out earlier. That truly will stop them.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4043910)   #256
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The problem for me is that allowing the drivers to carry more speed through corners helps the racing.

Otherwise its slow micky mouse corners on a tilkedrome no?

I dont think there is an easy black and white answer here.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 13:52 (Ref:4043912)   #257
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
The problem for me is that allowing the drivers to carry more speed through corners helps the racing.
Yes - agree with this.

I've seen a few posts over the last couple of days on the internet referring to Monaco as never having a track limits problem.
Yes - that is true. But let's be honest, because the track limits are so defined the racing is pretty rubbish. Very few attempts to overtake, and when those attempts go wrong we are stuck behind a safety car for numerous laps.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4043915)   #258
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
But the whole entire point of the turn 4 tarmac is because it's a separate piece of track for a different layout! It's not just a runoff area. And because it's a piece of track, it may not be prudent (given the local peak temperatures) to build a wall across it a la Silverstone's International circuit using linked 1 and a half or 2 tonne concrete blocks as it'll ruin the surface given enough time in that heat.

Martin Brundle made a comment at the weekend about the fact that circuits had been changed to accommodate ever-faster and more complex cars and bikes, and sometimes the balance between the two isn't right for one or the other - or, sometimes, either.

Drivers have always pushed boundaries. They always will.

Greem is of-course right here, neither a wall or low grip strip would work well for a run-off that is actually used as track for a different layout.

What they could do is make the kerb passed the bit of tarmac run-off that is also track significantly more troublesome to return over. Lose of grip/ floor damage is not nice. They would avoid it that way as well.

Last edited by Taxi645; 30 Mar 2021 at 14:33.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4043916)   #259
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two alternative views on what was happening.

Radio exchange between Bono and Hamilton:
Bono: "We're getting warnings about track limits at Turn Four so just tidy that up."
Hamilton: "I thought there was no track limits.
Bono: "Copy that on track Lewis but we are getting the messages from race control that you will get a black and white flag next time so five seconds.
Hamilton: "I've been doing the same thing all race. That's f***ing bull****."
Bono: "Yeah, they're getting a bit bumpy about it now."

Whereas Masi describes the situation:
"With regard to tolerance given with people running outside of the track limits during the race it was mentioned very clearly in the meeting and the notes that it would not be monitored with regard to setting the lap time, so to speak, but it will always be monitored in according with the sporting regulations that a lasting advantage overall must not be gained."
[...]
"No, nothing changed at all during the race, we had two people that were looking in that area at every car at every lap and pretty much every car bar one was doing the right thing within what we expected in a general sequence. There was the occasional car that had a bit of a moment or went out there but it wasn't a constant thing."

So which is the correct version of the truth?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4043918)   #260
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
LH has been driving in F1 long enough to know rules change on a dime all the time so i say his outrage is not true!

i like that race control played that message as well as the Horner one where he explained to max what LH was doing (a subtle piece of work on Horner's part i thought).

personally i like the transparency of it. based on the drivers' opinions in the briefing, Masi allowed them a little latitude here and once a team took issue with it (or specifically one driver using it too much) that latitude was taken away. i dont feel it was arbitrary and i feel like this was the proper way to deal with it.

tracks evolve over race weekends...its not unreasonable that the race director's notes, directives, rules etc evolve with it as well imo.

also once LH stopped using that extra bit, his tires on his final stint lasted much longer. less fuel, track rubbering in and of course slowing down and using less kerbs no doubt all contributed to preserving his tires, but there was a pretty sharp difference in tire life between his 2nd and 3rd stint on those hards.

could that mean his 2nd stint on the hards where he only got 16 laps (i think) out of them was a self inflicted wound?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4043919)   #261
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Two alternative views on what was happening.

Radio exchange between Bono and Hamilton:
Bono: "We're getting warnings about track limits at Turn Four so just tidy that up."
Hamilton: "I thought there was no track limits.
Bono: "Copy that on track Lewis but we are getting the messages from race control that you will get a black and white flag next time so five seconds.
Hamilton: "I've been doing the same thing all race. That's f***ing bull****."
Bono: "Yeah, they're getting a bit bumpy about it now."

Whereas Masi describes the situation:
"With regard to tolerance given with people running outside of the track limits during the race it was mentioned very clearly in the meeting and the notes that it would not be monitored with regard to setting the lap time, so to speak, but it will always be monitored in according with the sporting regulations that a lasting advantage overall must not be gained."
[...]
"No, nothing changed at all during the race, we had two people that were looking in that area at every car at every lap and pretty much every car bar one was doing the right thing within what we expected in a general sequence. There was the occasional car that had a bit of a moment or went out there but it wasn't a constant thing."

I’m starting to trust Masi less and less

If you look at the Twitter link I provided above it clearly shows the rules set for T4 were different in practice and the race and it clearly shows multiple drivers doing the same thing INCLUDING Verstappen, even before Horner complained
Old 30 Mar 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4043920)   #262
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What would have been laudably 'transparent' would have been for the race director to say that the same rule would be applied strictly in the race as it was in qualifying. No debate, no stretching the application of the rule, just do it and you're penalised. Simples.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4043921)   #263
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
What would have been laudably 'transparent' would have been for the race director to say that the same rule would be applied strictly in the race as it was in qualifying. No debate, no stretching the application of the rule, just do it and you're penalised. Simples.
Correct.....which is why everyone is utterly confused,

It’s disappointing too, because instead of talking about a fantastic race and win, all people are talking about on social media is Hamilton breaking the rules (even though he didn’t) and robbing max of a win
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4043924)   #264
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
It’s disappointing too, because instead of talking about a fantastic race and win, all people are talking about on social media is Hamilton breaking the rules (even though he didn’t) and robbing max of a win
people are always complaining on social media.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4043926)   #265
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Why didn't he?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4043928)   #266
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why didn't he?
That’s the million dollar question. If you look at the pre race driver notes, track limits at T4 were never going to be enforced in the race. Bizzare to have 2 sets of rules in 1 weekend
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:51 (Ref:4043933)   #267
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
people are always complaining on social media.
I always wish there was a 'why don't you just shut up you stupid prat' emoji.....
Old 30 Mar 2021, 21:38 (Ref:4043983)   #268
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I always wish there was a 'why don't you just shut up you stupid prat' emoji.....
😆😆😆

Didn't we used to have emojis for 'my brain explodes' and also for lobbing stuff at a screen to illustrate frustration at daft posts?
Old 31 Mar 2021, 02:07 (Ref:4044002)   #269
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My preferred option would be a moat.......
Sandwich wrap.

Quote:
prat \noun\British

:a stupid or foolish person

Ah, carry on.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 31 Mar 2021 at 02:17.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 07:32 (Ref:4044019)   #270
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
😆😆😆

Didn't we used to have emojis for 'my brain explodes' and also for lobbing stuff at a screen to illustrate frustration at daft posts?

There's this....
Old 1 Apr 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4044164)   #271
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

There's this....
And possibly these!!

Old 1 Apr 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4044228)   #272
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
social media is not all bad although these twitch videos are a bit hard to follow along with...and apparently Lando has been doing these race debriefs for a while now.

i just scrolled through it quickly and some good bits. starting around 1:04ish is his take on LH/Max pass.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/970247953
Old 1 Apr 2021, 17:55 (Ref:4044261)   #273
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
social media is not all bad although these twitch videos are a bit hard to follow along with...and apparently Lando has been doing these race debriefs for a while now.

i just scrolled through it quickly and some good bits. starting around 1:04ish is his take on LH/Max pass.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/970247953

Really did enjoy that, thanks Lando. Did agree with him on the Max/Lewis controversy
Old 5 Apr 2021, 22:48 (Ref:4044755)   #274
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So according to Marko, RB had a "diff issue" that hampered both drivers and then had to turn the power down to avoid overheating in Bahrain.

After only one race, it is looking much closer at the front (although that may change) and that puts added pressure onto both teams - neither can afford even relatively minor problems when it is so close.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4044756)   #275
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently 0.3s a lap. Advantage Red Bull?