Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Dec 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4025398)   #3391
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Ah , I see , it is all a cunning plan by the French to drive motorists mad .
Haven't they been doing that for decades?

I remember back in the days when I first began fixing cars for a living, all those '70s & '80s Renaults that always overheated for no apparent reason.

And the Citroens! Don't even start on those!
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4025400)   #3392
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily on Christmas Day my daughter told us she had been driving in Peterborough along the parkway system behind a Peugeot that had all of its brake lights on. Looks like its a common problem.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:45 (Ref:4025405)   #3393
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Looks like its a common problem.
Its not a problem, its a feature. Stop lights are on all the way because it clearly shows the following drivers that an engine failure is imminent!
Diesel engines were prone to feed themselves with their own oil, hence massive over revving and a total destruction of the damn thing. Same when the turbo blows with no prior notice.
Re the Renault overheating troubles, its too cook the sausages while driving. Follow a Renault on the highway at noon, you'll smell it miles away. You can fix it by putting two gaskets under the thermostat housing.
If not enough, put three and if not enough again bin it!
Old 27 Dec 2020, 12:47 (Ref:4025406)   #3394
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The dipstick on a Renault indicates not only the oil level but how close you're from a blown engine:
https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/thre...ipstick.64800/
https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/thre...ll-call.69182/ When the dip-stick can be seen through the bonnet, you know in deep-**** you are… Modern huh?
Old 27 Dec 2020, 15:35 (Ref:4025419)   #3395
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon, Mrs M says "mice". Voice of experience, and as is the way with women even when they have no experience they're usually right!
Old 27 Dec 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4025421)   #3396
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I always remember when I had a VAT inspection many many years ago. VAT Lady tuned up at workshop and said that her husband had change a bulb on her car the day before and that the lights were now playing up. That's easy i said.He has put the wrong bulb in. Sure enough a 382 instead of a 380.I swap the bulbs and jobs a goo den.She then said I had to write out an invoice for the bulb. Took longer than the job. 38 pence or something plus VAT. I did say that she could have it for free.
I remember she said at the end of the inspection " what do you do with all your cash Mr Rowley ". Oooooo I pay it to the bank. Thank you Mr Rowley and I never saw her again.
Old 27 Dec 2020, 16:55 (Ref:4025423)   #3397
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Brilliant suggestion, Colin. Remember Gordon is famous for preparing fast cars? Then do you mean he's another victim of… Speedy Gonzales?
Old 27 Dec 2020, 18:06 (Ref:4025429)   #3398
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Gordon, Mrs M says "mice". Voice of experience, and as is the way with women even when they have no experience they're usually right!
My mother always blamed the battery terminals. With those horrible lead "caps" there used to be, she was frequently right (alas!).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Dec 2020, 18:44 (Ref:4025434)   #3399
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
John, hope you garden is big enough to host some friends. Well, 200 actually! They played a new version of The great escape, unable to stand the quarantine in Italy, they ran away. Strange taste I'd say because if you ask me where I'd love to spend time the answer would be Italy. Cappuccino on the house!
Old 27 Dec 2020, 19:45 (Ref:4025437)   #3400
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Well I'm back indoors and guess what ! the brake lights on my old Pug 406 estate have come back on !! This is totally ridiculous as all the fuses that are involved with the 3 lights I actually took out the other day so that I could use it.
Also if I turn the engine off with my foot on the brake pedal the engine continues to run until I release the pedal! This is a complete mystery and nothing on the internet is helping with a cure as people will just say the obvious things. I am now wondering if it is an ECU fault somehow but having pulled the fuses I can't see how it can. Studying the wiring loom on Autodata doesn't reveal anything either. It would appear that a feed that is live when the ignition is off is somehow connecting to the lights.
Bad earth on the brake lights....or the coil
Old 27 Dec 2020, 21:35 (Ref:4025447)   #3401
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I always remember when I had a VAT inspection many many years ago. VAT Lady tuned up at workshop and said that her husband had change a bulb on her car the day before and that the lights were now playing up. That's easy I said. He has put the wrong bulb in. Sure enough a 382 instead of a 380.
I had a Volvo relayed to me with a sodded up main ECU caused by a customer doing the same thing, he had replaced a double contact with a single one and as this had cambus wiring it sent 12v back along a 5v wire to the ECU. £700 later it was running again
I will probably take my old banger up to the workshop tomorrow and strip all the carpets out, apart from that a box of Swan Vestas might be in order
Oh and Tim I can't find the coil anywhere under the bonnet or on the engine on the HDI but I'll keep looking
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Dec 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4025448)   #3402
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don’t do it Gordon I love that old car. Remember you took me from Brands to buy a new coil . 😀
Old 27 Dec 2020, 21:41 (Ref:4025449)   #3403
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Seen plenty of cars sodded up by mice over the years, why do they like to eat wiring ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Dec 2020, 21:45 (Ref:4025450)   #3404
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Don’t do it Gordon I love that old car. Remember you took me from Brands to buy a new coil . ��
What I could do as it will actually run and drive is wait in the hope that my nearest oval circuit (Arlington) will be open next year and enter it in a banger race !
And Iain, no tow bar.
Old 28 Dec 2020, 02:34 (Ref:4025474)   #3405
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Years ago when I had the scrap yard I bought an Alfa 75 from somewhere in Lincolnshire. It turned out to have been stored in a potato barn and the rats had had a lot of fun with the wiring.......we got it going eventually but on a test run around the industrial estate I nearly lost the driver's door as it was that rotten, so I ended up breaking it - just as well as I'm not sure I'd ever have got rid of that rodent smell