Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2003, 12:23 (Ref:534941)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eastern Creek 400

I read in AA they are thinking of changing the event to 2x200km races because some drivers have expressed concern. Are they serious?

Prior to Sandown going to 500km in 1984, it was a 400km race for many years before that, in which many drivers did it solo, Brock and Moffat won every event between 1973 and 1983 doing it solo. And upto and including the 1972 Bathurst 500 miles, you could do the race solo, that was 800km. Moffat did it solo in 1970 & 71 and Brock in 1972 won it solo.

In this day and age when drivers supposedly train harder, more dedicated etc....when the Adeliade 500 is meant to be the toughest race physically of the year, a 400km burn around the Creek surely isn't that much of a strain.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 12:35 (Ref:534955)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised if they make it 2x200km races over 2 days to sell more tickets.

I hope they don't change this as I was really looking forward to watching a 400lm race from the grandstand...you have a fantastic view of the pits at EC from the grandstand.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 07:50 (Ref:535737)   #3
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always thought that a two-drivers-per-car 500km day-into-night race would be a good idea.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 08:04 (Ref:535748)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
400km should be ok for the drivers & teams surely, its the last race of the season, they can damage a few panels safe in the knowledge they have another 4 month silly season coming up

The bit I think its a bit junky is the whole 35 car field has to participate in a shootout format, which will take maybe 90 minutes to get thru
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Mar 2003, 08:33 (Ref:535772)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they can't run 400k with one driver, have two drivers. Pretty simple really.
What is more likely though is Buckshot's theory.
If the championship is close by that time having a 2 Driver race might add a bit of interest to it really. You might see a bit of codriver swapping to get maximum championship ppoints.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 08:38 (Ref:535774)   #6
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot

I hope they don't change this as I was really looking forward to watching a 400lm race from the grandstand...you have a fantastic view of the pits at EC from the grandstand.
You can't see the track but you can see the pits!
Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:06 (Ref:535791)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
You can't see the track but you can see the pits!
Hahaha yes...quite right actually - you do lose the field for a lot of the lap behind "Corporate Hill" I think it's called isn't it ?

The last couple of years though they have had up a big screen Tv thingimy so that wasn't to bad.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:14 (Ref:535798)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you fellows know that the whole series is for TV. Why else would you have a circuit and especially street circuits where as a spectator you can only see a small bit of the circuit.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 11:53 (Ref:535940)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rise above it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
Hahaha yes...quite right actually - you do lose the field for a lot of the lap behind "Corporate Hill" I think it's called isn't it ?
The last couple of years though they have had up a big screen Tv thingimy so that wasn't to bad.
Hey Buck, why not avoid all the hassle and watch it from the comfort of your loungeroom!!

At EC if one gets off ones date and perambulates a tad a great deal of the circuit can be viewed. Right around the back for instance above Flag 8 there is a pedestrian overbridge to one of the highest points at the track where you can scan practically the whole circuit.

The whole place could be made very much more spectator friendly though.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 11:58 (Ref:535950)   #10
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Rise above it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Hey Buck, why not avoid all the hassle and watch it from the comfort of your loungeroom!!
You can miss just as much on channel serious.

Old 14 Mar 2003, 13:08 (Ref:536019)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by William Dale Jr
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always thought that a two-drivers-per-car 500km day-into-night race would be a good idea.
Sounds great to me, but I guess finishing the season with a two driver per car race is not ideal, as there'd be less scope for changes to the championship rankings.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 01:07 (Ref:536571)   #12
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering how 'fit' these drivers are ment to be i find it ludicrous that they cant do 400k in one hit

stuff them give us on here a drive we can do 400k each, it might be a bit slower & have more incidents, but damn it would be fun & there would be plenty of action for the crowd & tv

Last edited by rocket; 15 Mar 2003 at 01:09.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 05:33 (Ref:536655)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we drove at a slower pace maybe we wouldnt need as many pitstops for fuel and junk... win by the slowest possible distance???

Or does HRT have a copyright on this particular strategy
Old 15 Mar 2003, 23:28 (Ref:537625)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is, it will likely be a 40degree day at that part of the year, meaning 60+ in the car for 3hours. I don't know of any sport in the world where the participants have to put up with that. Sure, you have the 600 miler at Charlotte, but that is held in the evening...
Old 15 Mar 2003, 23:48 (Ref:537647)   #15
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worries guys have the lions or rotary club put a driver reviver on the inside of the hairpin and and they can all stop after two hours for a cuppa and a wee.

Drivethrough penalties will be given for poor reverse parks and failing to use the bins for rubbish. In effect give everyone a murphy bathurst penalty!
Old 16 Mar 2003, 00:12 (Ref:537671)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sounds like a plan... the "Symbol" drivers might take a bit longer to get thru, the credit cards may have trouble going thru the 1st time
Old 16 Mar 2003, 03:01 (Ref:537768)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Mar 2003, 06:30 (Ref:537819)   #18
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As this track is just around the corner from me I will accept what ever the distant they put on. As long as the taxi's put on a great show with a few biff's and LRT has a good round thats all I ask for. As a PROCAR fan more than the V8's but to have Oran Park, Eastern Creek and Wakefield not that far away any motorsport is great.