Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:31 (Ref:244470)   #1
rcwatts17
Rookie

rcwatts17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst f1 moment (not a crash or death)?

What is your worst F1 memory, not including deaths/ injuries or crashes?

Mine would be two laps from the end of the 97 Hungarian GP.

Murray Walker: Louise has got some news on Damon Hill in the pits.

Louise Goodman: Damon's just come on the radio and has said he has a problem, he is loosing hydraulic pressure.

Murray: What does that mean Martin?

Martin Brundle: I think Damon should be ok actually Murray, he has slowed down a bit but not too much, i think he has a big enough gap to Villenueve. (looks at sector times)...Oh no he's absolutely cruising murray..he's lost 20 seconds on that lap alone. I don't think he is going to make it.

I felt sick as i watched Villenuve take to the grass and pass him, nothing will ever replace that feeling. He was robbed of THE greatest gp win ever.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:35 (Ref:244473)   #2
Colin Mason
Rookie

Colin Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My worst F1 memeory would have to be adelaide 1994 when M.Schumacher hit Damon Hill delibrately to win the title. That was when my respect for Schumacher went to a record low.

I felt so sick and couldnt believe the FIA thought it was a racing accident
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:40 (Ref:244477)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The Hungarian Grand Prix in 1997 would have to be top of my list - especially considering it was Villeneuve (not a favourite of mine) again inheriting a win which another driver deserved. But nevertheless, that race was two fingers to anybody who said Damon Hill could do nothing without the best car.

1999 European Grand Prix would be on my list as well - I couldn't quite believe that Ralf was let down by a puncture when he was on course for a win.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:42 (Ref:244478)   #4
rcwatts17
Rookie

rcwatts17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the FIA for you,
Just imagine..

Example:
Juan touches Michael's sidepod in Malaysia, verdict = Drive Thru Penalty for Montoya

Michael slams into Juan Montoya in Malaysia sending him into the barrier at 150mph, verdict = Driver thru penalty for Montoya for getting in schumachers way.

It could happen
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:59 (Ref:244490)   #5
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungary 1997 was certainly up there...

Last edited by The Moon Monkey; 26 Mar 2002 at 16:01.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:02 (Ref:244491)   #6
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
Canada 1989 when Derek Warwick retired from 2nd place behind Senna. Senna retired near the end of the race - Derek would have teken that first victory....
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:07 (Ref:244496)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Michael slams into Juan Montoya in Malaysia sending him into the barrier at 150mph, verdict = Driver thru penalty for Montoya for getting in schumachers way.

It could happen
No it couldn't, and it won't.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:11 (Ref:244497)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwatts17
.....sending him into the barrier at 150mph, verdict = Driver thru penalty for Montoya for getting in schumachers way. It could happen
I say that BMWillies' bulletproof reliability is becoming more than an Internet's legend......
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:22 (Ref:244505)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Worst f1 moment (not a crash or death)?
Hungary 1997 is certainly a good one. I remember thinking that being totally unfair.

Jaguar entering F1 was quite bad for me. The realisation that they weren't going to race at Le Mans ever again.

No one's mentioned Mansell's exit from the Australian GP in 1986. In retrospect I think this bad moment has become a good moment. I was disappointed at the time, but Prost deserved the championship most (IMO) and it has become one of the most enduring images of the sport.

There were a few moments that were very disappointing robbing drivers of good results, but I think that Damon at Hungary loss was more than disappointing...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:30 (Ref:244508)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - Mansell's blow-out. Damn shame.

Another...
Ron Dennis threatening Bernoldi's career - jumped-up pillock (Dennis).

One more...
JPM getting rear-ended at Interlagos. I still don't blame Jos for that, just a big shame is all.

And...
DC getting stranded on the Monaco grid last year - deprived us all of a classic battle for the win (which I'm sure would have gone Schumi's way in the end).

Actually...
Any car getting stranded on the grid - I want to see racing!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:37 (Ref:244511)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with the Montoya moment. GP racing had just got exciting! It was a shame we didn't get to see how that one panned out.

I thought of another one. The sound of a modern F1 car coming out of a slow corner! That's a pretty bad moment!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:46 (Ref:244517)   #12
The Red BARon
Rookie

The Red BARon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 - Nigel mansell's blow out in Adelaide.

1997 - Jacque Villeneuve being disqualified after winning in japan due to overtaking under a yellow - a cynical attempt by the FIA to tak the title to the last round especially considering TGF, Frentzen and othrs also did the same on the same lap.

1999 - Ferrari cheating with illegal bodywork - and getting caugh - then inexplicably being found innocent and their race results reinstated. Another fix to give Ferrari a chance.

1996 - Jacque Villeneuve hitting engine problems whilst leading his debut GP in Melbourne.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:48 (Ref:244519)   #13
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
How about Mansell pulling out of F1 at the end of 1992 thus depriving us the chance of him taking on Prost when both would have been in Williams Renaults....

On the other hand, Mansell's decision to carry on in 1995 was a bad decision... He should have quit after the end of 1994 with that victory in Adelaide...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:48 (Ref:244520)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Red BARon
1997 - Jacque Villeneuve being disqualified after winning in japan due to overtaking under a yellow
Huh!? I thought that Jax finished 5th or 6th. :confused:
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:51 (Ref:244522)   #15
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
Hungary 1987 - Mansell loses a wheelnut whilst leading the race... Depressing.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:11 (Ref:244525)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worst moment for many, many Argentinians where when Reutemann lost the 1981 Championship in Las Vegas...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:46 (Ref:244544)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about getting up in the middle of the night to watch a Grand Prix from Australia, and then discovering that David Coulthard is going to use it as an excuse to say "After you, Claude" to Mika Hakkinen, even after Mika fouled up a pitstop and lost half a mile of track position.

If that still gets me steamed after all this time, you can understand how cross I was on the night!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:52 (Ref:244547)   #18
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oz GP, 94.
Shu and Hill, nuff said really.

German

Oh yeah and 97

German gets away with it again

Last edited by J.McClane; 26 Mar 2002 at 17:56.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:54 (Ref:244551)   #19
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Mason
My worst F1 memeory would have to be adelaide 1994 when M.Schumacher hit Damon Hill delibrately to win the title. That was when my respect for Schumacher went to a record low.

I agree, that was the worst momment....in 1997 against Villeneuve at least he did not suuceed in stopping him.

But in the end I think the worst moment is the election of the FIA board......
Old 26 Mar 2002, 17:55 (Ref:244552)   #20
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Mason

Then you must have really been disgusted with Jerez 97.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:00 (Ref:244554)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
How about getting up in the middle of the night to watch a Grand Prix from Australia, and then discovering that David Coulthard is going to use it as an excuse to say "After you, Claude" to Mika Hakkinen, even after Mika fouled up a pitstop and lost half a mile of track position.

If that still gets me steamed after all this time, you can understand how cross I was on the night!
Just say me! I lose in a quiz-show because I forgot that scene of the 1998 Australian GP...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:01 (Ref:244555)   #22
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think mariov slightly misses the point(no offence mate)about 94 & 97.
It wasn't the FIA decion that gets on my naughty bits, it is that Shu drove into somebody in order to win the championship, and that Shu and most(not all)of his fans still say it was an accident.

cheatin' German

Last edited by J.McClane; 26 Mar 2002 at 18:02.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:01 (Ref:244556)   #23
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Moon Monkey
Hungary 1987 - Mansell loses a wheelnut whilst leading the race... Depressing.
And remember that not only was that on the last lap, but arch rival Piquet scored the win, a swing of 14 points. Were it not for Hungary, Mansell would have gone into Adelaide with championship in hand. Instead, a blown tire put our Nige out of the race when the championship was all but won. If anyone was ever truely robbed of a championship, it was Mansell in 1987.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:03 (Ref:244559)   #24
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In recent memory, it's a moment I neither saw nor heard, but read about: When JPM said to Jacques, after Australia, "You already killed one person this year." At that moment I was very depressed at the combination of pettiness, arrogance, stupidity and viciousness wrapped up in that remark, and at the realization that such people are idolized and hugely compensated to do exciting things.

But what the hell, marketing notwithstanding, in truth we don't really believe that being a great or a good driver requires that one be sensible and charming, pleasing though that may be.

So I guess the Schumacher/Damon incident, being an actual driving nastiness, is the lowest point for me.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:06 (Ref:244560)   #25
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ivan Capelli not winning French GP 1990. I didn´t watch that race live, but I have a season review video.

Damon Hill in Hungary 1997

Luca Badoer´s retirement in European GP 1999.

And of course, Mika Häkkinen´s retirement in Spanish GP last year.