Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1302163)   #101
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments... so how much action do you actually want to see, apart from all the complex from lufield, cars coming from tower straight into abbey and up into bridge viewed from the outside of abbey, cars coming down the main striaght and into copse then through to maggots viewed from copse exit, and see them from maggots through beckets and onto the striaght from copse exit. oh no thats THE WHOLE CIRCUIT!!!! and before people start whinging about fencing you verses a flying wheel is no contest.

As for the paddock, thats down to the organising club for them to lay on pit road walkabouts, if donnington was different then ask the club it's nothing to do with silverstone.

oh and by the way £30 what a bargin for over 6 hours of very good racing. try and buy a premiership football tickets and then only get a 90 minute match...
Old 16 May 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1302167)   #102
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think people just like to blast silverstone...jump on the Bernie Band wagon and that.

I don't have a problem with silverstone I think its a fantastic circuit.

If you don't like it don't go...its as simple as that, don't go, see some great racing and then slate the cicruit.
Old 16 May 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1302227)   #103
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I thought about going to Silverstone for the WTCC races, but £30 for what is 4 races doesn't represent good value for money in my opinion.
Im not a huge fan of the GT's although Sunday's race did seem better than most, closer, with a bit of attrition which is often missing from endurance racing.

I do think that the WTCC races need to be longer, they are just too short.

Also, not sure why this is, but Eurosport always seem to have the trackside sounds levels far too low, you can barely hear the cars...

My apologies for the whiny post, but I feel that the WTCC weekend could be improved quite easily if the races were a bit longer and the TV coverage was tweaked slightly...
Old 16 May 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1302262)   #104
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin, what did you think of Monica Sipsz playing with her ring
Old 16 May 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1302269)   #105
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The WTCC races were a good length and if they had been any longer they would have been even more processional than they already were.

The GT race was good, although i didn't really know what was going on as I couldn't hear the commentary and didnt have a radio.

I do have to agree that £30 was a lot of money to pay...you do know that you could have seen the races for free...become a marshal its fantastic.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1302362)   #106
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
Yeah, just watched the tape of race two...was gonna ask what he saw on TV that we obviously didn't

(He didn't say playing). But best not dwell on it, probably don't really want to know the answer.
Old 16 May 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1302659)   #107
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos online at MSportUK.com

It's odd, the post about the weekend on the GT bit of the forum is generally all positive and full of praise for an excellent weekend, the spectacular DBR9s, MC12s and the great weather, whereas on this bit it's all compaints. Wonder if it's an entirely different mindset that prefers GTs to Touring Cars, or perhaps the Touring Car fans were just expecting more of a BTCC style rumble than they were given. Have to admit, I'm more from the GT (chill in the sun for three hours and take in the majesty of the V12 beauties) camp, than the TC (wham, bam, thankyou ma'am) side, so I had a fantastic weekend.

Anyway, the point of my post is that our pics are now online here. Mostly GTs, but there are a few Touring Cars, and a few grid girls thrown in for good measure, so something for everyone!
Old 17 May 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1302834)   #108
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's wrong with the independent championship (or offiicial site)which the points of 6th rd. didn't count
Old 17 May 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1302998)   #109
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a good day at silverstone, I too thought the touring car races seemed a bit short and where were all the TV screens that they used to put up. Made it difficult to follow what was going on in the 3 hour race, especially for the Mrs in between reading her magazine!

Other than that and the gaps between races the day was great.
Old 17 May 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1303128)   #110
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
TV screens were put up in the complex...but not anywhere else as far as i know. The easiest way to keep track was to listen to Radio Silverstone.
Old 17 May 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1303200)   #111
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just uploaded my photo's from today and they can be found here
Nice pics... lovely capture of Thommo's off...
Old 17 May 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1303201)   #112
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly, I even heard myself utter a "fingering her ring" comment....

shows she's genuinely excited about it all and not just the cynical manipulator she is sometimes painted
Old 17 May 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1303202)   #113
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
Nice pics... lovely capture of Thommo's off...
Thank's
Old 17 May 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1303278)   #114
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Are we comparing chalk with cheese here?\

Bearing in mind that the WTCC is only live, I don't see how you can expect one set of eyes (the square set in the corner of the living room) to see as much as you do standing at Abbey, say, or Becketts... or the Complex...

If the director followed the battles further back outside the major 10 or so at the front for too long, you'd be just a peed off because he'd obviously miss action... then miss more as he tried to show it in replay...

To see everything, you need to have no cars (BTCC in 2005) so you can get them all in the same shot, or show the races a week later, fully post-produced, with time for loads of replays, on-boards, interviews, shouty drivers, vitriol etc (BHP's Grandstand shows in the hey-day of the series in the mid-late 80s and early 90s.)

Live, you miss stuff... that's why people set the video before they go to the track, to see what happened out of their sight... sure, Titch and Adders can TELL you... but we all want to SEE the Thommo crash, for example, don't we - how do words describe THAT live??

I would be the very first to agree that Eurosport's coverage is not perfect, even when - as at Silverstone - we ARE the host broadcasters... but if you want live AND big grids...

If not, in both cases, there's always ITV and the BTCC... or F1 !

As for the "rubbin's racin" appeal... the Stewards seem to have popped down to Specsavers over the winter... instead of missing even the most cynical punts, they now seem to see incidents where they almsot don't happen... Some very daft penalties applied this weekend...

Interestingly, Max Moseley said that in the eyes of the FIA, as long as it wasn't dangerous or unfair, they pretty much are happy to let tin-top drivers do what they want... The race officials, he opined, would probably see it differently, of course...

Do we want to see more "tap-to-pass" moves, or contact as an incidental effect of close racing between clean, professional drivers??? You tell me... I'm in the latter camp... if I want banger racing, there's always Wimbledon...
Old 17 May 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1303304)   #115
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Martin, I totally agree. The point is that the UK is a mess, no one can agree on direction and this is seen in the dwindling grid sizes. The WTCC was run so smoothly and efficiently. They know what is right and all pull together to make it happen. They even take the time to make sure it is all one hell of a show. Even Mosley complimented the team on the quality and efficiency of the whole operation.

I even asked the organisers on saturday for more sun and totty and they delivered (Thanks Alan)
Old 18 May 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1303927)   #116
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why did Adam Lacko not race at Silverstone?
Old 19 May 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1304509)   #117
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlos Mastretta from Mexico will replace Valle Makela at Imola and Puebla.

Take a look @ www.fiawtcc.com
Old 19 May 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1304633)   #118
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
Carlos Mastretta from Mexico will replace Valle Makela at Imola and Puebla.

Take a look @ www.fiawtcc.com
which I believe was always the plan
Old 19 May 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1304880)   #119
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
shows she's genuinely excited about it all and not just the cynical manipulator she is sometimes painted
Shome Mishtake Shurely...?
Old 20 May 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1305216)   #120
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Why did Adam Lacko not race at Silverstone?
AFAIK he was racing in Czech last weekend.
Old 20 May 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1305503)   #121
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfan
AFAIK he was racing in Czech last weekend.
Why not in WTCC? Is he doing only selected WTCC events?
Old 21 May 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1305892)   #122
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep

Funny thing is, that I've found this link, using your entry list page
Old 21 May 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1305911)   #123
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The WTCC was run so smoothly and efficiently. They know what is right and all pull together to make it happen. They even take the time to make sure it is all one hell of a show. Even Mosley complimented the team on the quality and efficiency of the whole operation.

I even asked the organisers on saturday for more sun and totty and they delivered (Thanks Alan)
Yeah me to. I was fortunate enough to be in the paddock and the look of everything was so professional and all the trucks even the privateers looked suberb. Although yes there were only 4 races the whole meeting ran smooth.
Old 21 May 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1306039)   #124
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfan
Yep

Funny thing is, that I've found this link, using your entry list page
Short memory......

Tags
wtcc