Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2022, 17:55 (Ref:4121984)   #151
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Apart from the non championship race in Dubai in 1981, the BTCC has always been in the British Isles only and it will remain that way
Apart from it went to Mondello
Old 6 Aug 2022, 17:58 (Ref:4121985)   #152
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Apart from it went to Mondello
Doh.

Mondello is in The British Isles…
Old 6 Aug 2022, 18:25 (Ref:4121989)   #153
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This seems appropriate at the moment:

Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:00 (Ref:4121992)   #154
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Doh.

It most certainly isn’t my friend. Try sitting in a pub in Dublin and expressing that view. Let me know how you get on!
Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:00 (Ref:4121993)   #155
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This seems appropriate at the moment:

Drawn by an Englishman I would suggest!
Old 6 Aug 2022, 20:01 (Ref:4121998)   #156
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Look Mummy! The internet.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 20:06 (Ref:4121999)   #157
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
It most certainly isn’t my friend. Try sitting in a pub in Dublin and expressing that view. Let me know how you get on!
It most certainly is. From when Ireland was in the UK. Take it as free education. The British Isles isn’t the same as Britain, as any knowledgeable Dubliner knows.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 20:19 (Ref:4122000)   #158
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Drawn by an Englishman I would suggest!
Chicago, IL.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 07:17 (Ref:4122024)   #159
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Anyway I'm looking forward to the BTCC using the Donington long circuit again.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 08:33 (Ref:4122026)   #160
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I bet that’s going to be weird for the drivers going down the back straight and turning left
Old 7 Aug 2022, 09:43 (Ref:4122028)   #161
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I bet that’s going to be weird for the drivers going down the back straight and turning left
Some of the tailenders do that anyway ?
Old 7 Aug 2022, 10:25 (Ref:4122029)   #162
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Some of the tailenders do that anyway ?
Hahaha!
Old 7 Aug 2022, 20:43 (Ref:4122098)   #163
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not. It adds nothing.

You can't spectate on any part of the Melbourne loop, and the longer lap means you'll see the cars fewer times when watching anywhere else trackside.

There's a reason it was taken off the calendar 20 years ago.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 20:48 (Ref:4122100)   #164
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

You can't spectate on any part of the Melbourne loop, and the longer lap means you'll see the cars fewer times when watching anywhere else trackside.

Better than Thruxton twice.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 20:54 (Ref:4122102)   #165
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You can't spectate on any part of the Melbourne loop
Yes you can. Pedestrian tunnel at the Esses then you can walk all the down to Melbourne and into the paddock. Admittedly once you get past the Esses there isn't much to see
Old 7 Aug 2022, 21:02 (Ref:4122104)   #166
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Yes you can. Pedestrian tunnel at the Esses then you can walk all the down to Melbourne and into the paddock. Admittedly once you get past the Esses there isn't much to see
It is also recognised as one of the best locations on the circuit for photography, with the proximity to the circuit being good and the velocity is easier to work with.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 21:17 (Ref:4122109)   #167
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It adds another couple of overtaking opportunities too.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4122199)   #168
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do like to see a bit of variety on the calendar.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 09:20 (Ref:4122205)   #169
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I do like to see a bit of variety on the calendar.
I can understand that view - but it is always worth remembering that part of BTCC's success is stability, not variety.

Alan Gow explains that he is reluctant to make changes: "Where do you take it in the future? Well you don’t; you build on what you’ve got. [Stability] is what it’s all about. There’s a reason why the championship is the success it is; it’s because we’ve got stability in the technical regulations. You’ve got investment in the cars and stability in the regulations. You’ve also got stability in the calendar, in the race formats, in the television and in the tyres. It’s something that the teams can invest in knowing what the BTCC will look like for the next five years. They’ve made major investments and it’s up to us to make sure that they can quantify their investment as much as possible over that time, so we provide them with the best and most stable platform that we can. Sometimes you tinker with the race formats a little bit, but at the moment the race formats are working really well. I’m never against change, but I’m always against wholesale change. You don’t do change for the sake of change."
Old 22 Aug 2022, 18:51 (Ref:4123459)   #170
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone got any gossip for next year then hahah? Must be some whispers about!
Old 23 Aug 2022, 05:15 (Ref:4123475)   #171
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Doh.

I've learned something new. British Isles includes Republic of Ireland. Every day's a learning day!
Old 23 Aug 2022, 05:21 (Ref:4123476)   #172
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:

You can spectate at the Melbourne loop. At least, in others race series you can. I did a few years ago, and saw lots of action at the corner.

Donington probably my favourite UK track, and good to see the BTCC go there twice next year on different layouts.
Old 23 Aug 2022, 05:24 (Ref:4123477)   #173
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I can understand that view - but it is always worth remembering that part of BTCC's success is stability, not variety.

Alan Gow explains that he is reluctant to make changes: "Where do you take it in the future? Well you don’t; you build on what you’ve got. [Stability] is what it’s all about. There’s a reason why the championship is the success it is; it’s because we’ve got stability in the technical regulations. You’ve got investment in the cars and stability in the regulations. You’ve also got stability in the calendar, in the race formats, in the television and in the tyres. It’s something that the teams can invest in knowing what the BTCC will look like for the next five years. They’ve made major investments and it’s up to us to make sure that they can quantify their investment as much as possible over that time, so we provide them with the best and most stable platform that we can. Sometimes you tinker with the race formats a little bit, but at the moment the race formats are working really well. I’m never against change, but I’m always against wholesale change. You don’t do change for the sake of change."
Very sensible view, to be fair.
Old 23 Aug 2022, 14:28 (Ref:4123506)   #174
S griffin
Veteran

The BTCC is right to stay grounded. I've seen quite a few series go to pot because they tried to do too much and ended biting off more than they can chew. In fact it almost happened with the BTCC with the super touring era. The costs left the series in a very sorry state, but thankfully lessons have been learnt from that
Old 24 Aug 2022, 10:31 (Ref:4123561)   #175
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The BTCC is right to stay grounded. I've seen quite a few series go to pot because they tried to do too much and ended biting off more than they can chew. In fact it almost happened with the BTCC with the super touring era. The costs left the series in a very sorry state, but thankfully lessons have been learnt from that
I still think that Supertouring could have been sustained at or near the level it was for another 10 years, if the right promotion was behind it. I believe it was £10M was the Prodrive / Ford bill for the 2000 season, when you compare the top budgets of F1 at the time which were near £200M, it does offer good value for money, the problem is the comparative lack of exposure. I am not sure if this was a problem with TV or the series not promoting itself or the car makers not doing some of that, I am not sure, maybe a bit of everything. Lets face it, £10M would be a bargain if it had live TV and was beamed to every motorsport viewing household in Europe and or the world.