Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 Sep 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2281675)   #26
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think there were some rumors about HM Plant Honda making the move aswell. I'll be watching the racing from Donington and cheering on Tommy Sykes! He did well at Brands and im sure his performance didnt go unoticed!

Still no news on who is replacing Bayliss, yet!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2282988)   #27
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_58

Still no news on who is replacing Bayliss, yet!!
Well, during the Donington superpole broadcast, the commentators mentioned that the latest rumour in the paddock is that Nori may be heading to Ducati as Tardozi has said that he doesn't want Max - allegedly.

For me, Nori has been synonymous with the tuning forks but clearly his allegiance to them is not water tight as he rode a Ducati for the Renegade team years ago. The interesting thing would be how the Yamaha team deals with potentially losing two riders in one go!

A second chance for Andrew Pitt perhaps?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2283129)   #28
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I could only maybe see Josh Hayes and Hodgson riding over here perhaps.

I am sure we would have heard if Hodge was coming as his PR machine I believe is the same as Toselands, so there would have been stuff going on to secure a ride.

The team from US will be coming aswell.

Only riders I see form US are perhaps Hayes, Spies (if GP doesnt come off he will ride Alstare) and perhaps someone liek Chaz Davies or Cardenas, they ahve GP experience for a WSS team.
See my post in the US Superbike section. Josh is on his way over. Cardenas is contracted with John Ulrich for another year. JU was promised a Suzuki contract for next year, so he isn't going to let Cardenas go, not just yet.

Art
Old 7 Sep 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2283246)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Sykes is of more value to the BSB Suzuki team than the WSBK squad for now, so I suspect the top brass will insist that he continues for a 2009 BSB title assault.

All the rides really hinge on who replaces Bayliss. Yamaha could have two vacancies, Sterilgarda could have two, the BSB Ducati team could have one.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2285937)   #30
Pete_58
Rookie

England
HM Plant Honda are staying in BSB for '09. Will GSE Airwaves Ducati stay? What about Byrne?? I'm sure Tommy Sykes will stay, title contender for sure!

I did hear about Nori maybe replacing Bayliss. Surely we wont have to wait much longer for news now?!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2286392)   #31
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just money that is stopping the British teams and riders or a lack of ambition? Whilst the BSB is a great championship if riders want to achieve anything at the top level of the sport they have to move on.

What is Haslam doing in BSB? He's raced in 250s, 500s etc. Riders like Sykes, Crutchlow, Camier have to move on. Is it really just money?

People questioned Jonathan Rea's move to WSS after BSB but you have to think he has the right idea. He's learning the world circuits and is on view to the WSB team managers every week. You have to admire riders like Eugene Laverty who have taken the decision to ride in 250s. He might be on a bad bike but at least he's having a go.

I feel that sometimes the BSB is just a bit too cosy and a bit too easy and riders get stuck there. They seems to think if they can get a competitive bike in BSB why risk a move?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2286399)   #32
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i seriously think people over estimate the bsb, its only a MINOR stepping stone - you have a couple of international riders (lavilla - not really a wsb success & kiyo who IS a talent lately ) who win the title, which is great, but how many british riders progress through to wsb or moto gp... that should get some conversation happening
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2286401)   #33
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That doesn't seem fair Fiama. Byrne, Rutter, Reynolds, Hodgson, Haydon and Emmett have all gone into MotoGP or WSBK while established BSB frontrunners - plus Bayliss, Kagayama, Kiyonari and Lavilla have used it as a springboard into a world championship. It's not as if the other domestic superbike championships have produced any other international frontrunners in recent years. A top BSB ride means good pay, factory support, racing close to home with less pressure on family (notwithstanding that Byrne and Rutter don't live in Britain full-time), and now the chance of a couple of WSBK wildcards each year. The British guys haven't been lucky at getting competitive international rides in recent years, whereas BSB does attract some decent international riders.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2286439)   #34
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Is it possible that there is such a depth of talent within WSBK, that british riders dont get a look in?? I'll admit, when i heard Jonathon Rea was moving to WSS, i questioned it. But looking at the progress he has made this year, with the chance to step up to WSBK next season, i give him full credit for doing so.

I do wonder after the recent performances of BSB ridres as wild cards, will they be chased by WSBK teams. I mean there are rumors that some teams maybe without rider options (Nori to Ducati, Corser to BMW, Bayliss retiring, etc)

And as BootsOntheSide said, many rider have used BSB as a springboard to progress onto bigger and better things. But i do think BSB is a competitive series, and a good ground on which to build and get noticed.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2286773)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem with BSB is the tracks really

They are not really like tracks in WSBK or GP and I reckon it would take a BSB rider a year to get used to NOT riding at Cadwell or Oulton!!

Its a historic thing that many overseas particularly Aussies have come over to race here. Gardner, Crafar, Lewis, Haldane, Stroud and now the newer generation.

Its a good palce to learn and the teams are noticed worldwidem look at Vermuelen, Bayliss, Stoner, DiSalvo, Muggas, McCarthy, the list is endless.

You dont get our guys going to OZ or too many to the USA coz their series arent as good.

Pay is good here, crowds are bigger than most national series and bikes are good too, plus you can learn your trade in one place as Vermin did, Supersport and Superstock, just as Glenny Richards did too.

I dont think UK riders are as determined as Aussies coz they havent had to leave home etc. I'ms fairly sure if the boot was on the oethr foot and our lads were over there winning they would have similar determination at times!!

The big factor now is Pirelli. Teams will look at Sykes, Cal and Leon and think they know about the tyres, it was a level field on Sunday and the Brits were damned quick even without Byrne and Camier!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2286835)   #36
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

They are not really like tracks in WSBK or GP and I reckon it would take a BSB rider a year to get used to NOT riding at Cadwell or Oulton!!

Its a historic thing that many overseas particularly Aussies have come over to race here. Gardner, Crafar, Lewis, Haldane, Stroud and now the newer generation.

Its a good palce to learn and the teams are noticed worldwidem look at Vermuelen, Bayliss, Stoner, DiSalvo, Muggas, McCarthy, the list is endless.

You dont get our guys going to OZ or too many to the USA coz their series arent as good.

Pay is good here, crowds are bigger than most national series and bikes are good too, plus you can learn your trade in one place as Vermin did, Supersport and Superstock, just as Glenny Richards did too.

I dont think UK riders are as determined as Aussies coz they havent had to leave home etc. I'ms fairly sure if the boot was on the oethr foot and our lads were over there winning they would have similar determination at times!!

The big factor now is Pirelli. Teams will look at Sykes, Cal and Leon and think they know about the tyres, it was a level field on Sunday and the Brits were damned quick even without Byrne and Camier!
It's amazing to see how various nations will dominate racing for a while, and then another nation will take over. When I was riding, Northern California had the world's best: Roberts, Mamola, McLaughlin, Pierce, etc. The club up here, the AFM produced a world champ or two, and produced some really great riders. Then we let the balance of the US into the hunt, and then the Aussies took over. I suspect that the club level, if it's high enough, produces great riders. If that level of competition falls off, then other places pick up the slack.

I think that the US has produced some of the best riders, and you'll see that next year and the year afterwards, when the US AMA races have less factory rides, and the better riders go off to compete in world superbike, etc.

Art
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2287061)   #37
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Such a ridiculous comment, get of your high horse - it would ruin there careers if they raced in Oz... And why would they travel that far?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 12:34 (Ref:2287145)   #38
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is that ridiculous?

You would not get Haslam or Crutchlow or Sykes racing in Australia coz it doesnt pay as well?

And they are too far away from Europe to make a difference

To answer your biased original question I can not tell you who teh Australian Superbike champ is??

But I bet you can tell me who the reigning BSB champ is, who teh AMA champ is?

I could also tell you that Watanabe is the Jap champ, and what does he get as a promotion? A ride in Oz superbikes? No, BSB!

Face facts, BSB is biggest national championship period. AMA might have two better riders but they only stay there coz they get paid more than most GP riders do!

BSB has many factory teams, HM PLant, Airwaves, Yamaha (satellite really) NW200, Rizla.
I agree that Ox used to with Winfield and the HRC team that Gobert and Corser ran with, plus they ran Dukes there a bit and Suzuki with Bayliss, Goddard, and then Kwak with Craggill and Mladin.

But not now, no-one cares!!

The best riders fromthere want to come UK coz its a good starting point to get into WSBK or GP, thats why O Halloran is here!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2287225)   #39
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Does Tom Sykes read this forum? He's just signed for the Yamaha WSB team
Old 11 Sep 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2287233)   #40
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Where did you get that from?! If its true, i'm surprised. I would have put money on him staying another year in BSB. Title contender without doubt. BTW, i'm not doubting him if he does go WSBK.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2287271)   #41
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Can't vouch for the source but it's here:

http://www.bikesportnews.com/article...R_YAMAHA_WSB_1
Old 12 Sep 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2287942)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Teletext are reporting it as well. Bit of a surprise, and he could be in for a tough year depending on who his team-mate will be, but it's good to see him having a crack at the international scene so early in his career. It's surprising that they've announced one rider so early, when they're probably still negotiating for the other bike.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2288070)   #43
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Crash.net are running this story aswell. Haga to Xerox apparently. Corser is still in talks with BMW aswell.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2288525)   #44
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:

The British Cahampionship is a great place for riders to CONTINUE there bike racing craft - i wouldnt say LEARN as they have usually had a few years racing under there belt before they get to Britain...

Kirk McCarthy (RIP) was Australian Superbike Champion in 1995 & raced factory Suzuki in WSBK in 1996, then went back to the British Supersport Championship some 3 or 4 years after that ...
Chris Vermuelen raced Australian Sbk in 99 & British Supersport/Stock in 2000 - so if you claim that he is where he is because of his British experience, you really are in fantasy land ...
Troy Bayliss finished 2nd & 3rd in Aus Sbk before trekking to the British Championship where he finished 8th (learning the tracks) before dominating the Championship in his 2nd year ...
Glen Richards has never progressed onto the World scene & still gets a decent ride in Britain - what does that say?

as for Casey Stoner, well you can fight the Spanish for him as he did finish 2nd in both the British & Spanish 2001 125cc Championships...

It is a great domestic championship & a great stepping stone aswell to the world scene, but it aint the bees knees

*** O'Halloran is over there as Australian Supersport Champion, but you wouldnt know that because you have no interest in the Australian series which is fine...
Old 13 Sep 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2288923)   #45
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh dear you relaly are a little in over your head there lad huh

Sheene was the main reason formost of your riders getting rides in Europe. He deserted Britain and British talent and had the contacts to get Gardner, Corser, Vermin and many others rides in the UK and Europe.

Stoner lived here while he learned, as did Bayliss and as for Richards, why not include Youngy, Nowland, McConnell and a few otehrs who have simply decided they would rather live here than Australia!!

I would never call BSB the bees knees, but I wood say its a far bigger market place for talent than Australia, otherwise they wouldnt come here would they dummy!
Old 13 Sep 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2289278)   #46
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
would they dummy??? thats what i would expect from you...

over my head, i dont think so - corser won ama after leaving australia... bayliss' 6th year was in england... actually waste of time coversing with you - though how did you know Atsushi Watanabe was all jap sbk champ - read it in a rizla suzuki press release

Last edited by gomick; 13 Sep 2008 at 21:38.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2289622)   #47
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
No I actually spoke to him!!

Bless
Old 15 Sep 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2290642)   #48
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
and he told you that he was all jap sbk champ in japanese, cant believe he expected you to understand - thats a bit arrogant of him

Last edited by gomick; 15 Sep 2008 at 08:49.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2290715)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
He's actually quite a nice lad, his English is very good considering he hasnt been here long.

And I'll tell you where it was, in the building on the outside of Clearways at Brands Hatch before the start of the season in a pre season meet and greet thing for members of the media and the teams.

Bless
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2290828)   #50
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
So you found out just before the start of the season (in 2008) that he was the 2007 all japan sbk champ...