Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 Jul 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2721399)   #26
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Rossi didnt want Fag sponsors? Is that why it might be Martini?
Old 3 Jul 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2721414)   #27
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I thought Rossi didnt want Fag sponsors? Is that why it might be Martini?
Any anti cigarette sentiments he may have had went out the window years ago when he was sponsored by Camel.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2721619)   #28
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No ciggy sponsors are shown now on bikes, look at the duke - just take the money guilt free
Old 4 Jul 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2721673)   #29
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit View Post
Any anti cigarette sentiments he may have had went out the window years ago when he was sponsored by Camel.
Well to be fair he still expressed his anti-smoking sentiments despite having driven that Camel bike.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2721675)   #30
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Well to be fair he still expressed his anti-smoking sentiments despite having driven that Camel bike.
True, but can you take the money and still remain creditable on the topic?
Old 4 Jul 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2721683)   #31
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit View Post
True, but can you take the money and still remain creditable on the topic?
No but then I think he's a hypocrite. Not a popular sentiment I know, I just dont buy into the whole Rossi thing. Then again I'm a Lorenzo fan...
Old 5 Jul 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2722301)   #32
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ghin

Imagine Schumacher having some personality, winning races in his first season at Benetton, the championship in 93 for example. Then winning the championship first time out in Ferrari and making them the best, then winning more than losing as Schuey did.

Vale did all this and in that time frame, if he would have been in F1 he would have perhaps won 10 world titles.

If youa re used to F1 people or motro racing people you wont get Rossi. I met him when he was 17 and was amazed at his confidence, approachability and simple fun for life and being a bike racer. I stood on a pit wall watching a stunt bike and he simply came up and stood with me, we started nattering and I was a fan for life.

I don't think he is the nicest guy on track at times, but he has that ruthless streak Schuey has and allied to this he has fun and a smile.

If you watch Lorenzo he is a SPanish clone with a bit more arrogance and self hype. He is doing EXACTLY what Criville did when Mich crashed in 98 and 99. I like him, but he aint Vale. He might actually be quicker and even more consistent. But Vale has a lot more history and past tussles to remember!
Old 6 Jul 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2722643)   #33
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm concerned for the sport, post Rossi. He will leave a huge hole. Not to mention, how many fans tune in just to see him? Case in point, Catalunya suffered a very low turnout. Facts are facts, there are many casual bike fans that don't care about Moto GP if Rossi isn't involved. And think about it, Moto GP is having enough trouble attracting sponsors as it is. What happens in the post Rossi era? And something tells me Dorna has not done much planning for the future...
Old 6 Jul 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2722751)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am hoping that the reason why auduences are still good is that Vale has maybe carried the viewers through these rough times.

Post Vale the racing should be a lot better with 100cc more standard bikes, a nice new 125 replacement class (although j rightly points out that 250MX engines are not really designed to run at palces like Malaysia!! Imagine them at Turkey or China, even indy will test them!
Old 9 Jul 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2723917)   #35
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
It's official! Casey Stoner will NOT ride for Ducati in 2011.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2723919)   #36
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the music has started and we got our 1st proper news from Honda, Stoner to Honda is confirmed.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2723921)   #37
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
It' official! Casey Stoner will ride for Honda in 2011.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2723973)   #38
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So looks like:

HRC: Dani, Dovi and Casey (two Repsol, one Red Bull)
Yamaha: Jorge and Spies
Ducati: Rossi and Hayden

or any other random combination of those riders....
Old 9 Jul 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2724063)   #39
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stoner will be a force for the last 800cc title on that Honda. Considering Dovi, I really hope he gets a third bike, and not a Gresini bike, as we could use the extra entries.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2724235)   #40
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Asphault and Rubber are reporting (via their "trusted source" Kevin Ash) that Rossi has come to terms with Ducati to race for them next year. Not sure how reliable A and R is when it comes to breaking big news like this, but it's not as though this was unexpected.

Apparently it will all be official Monday.

That sound you hear? The sound of millions of Italians soiling their pants in joy.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2724423)   #41
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Can see maybe Melandrio being dropped and Gresini perhaps running two semi factory bikes for Dovi and the favoured son Simoncelli? Shame for Maio, he seems quicker this year. But Sic has been getting better.

Perhaps a Scot bike again?
Old 14 Jul 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2726488)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine Honda giving Scot a bike for 2011, especially if they run 3 factory bikes. Maybe 2012 when they could use the extra data, or 2013 once there are some 2012-spec ones going spare.

Rossi is most of the reason I'm into bike racing now, having only really followed F1, ChampCar (RIP) and BTCC for many years before that. He's got so much talent, charisma and unpredictability that he really draws in fans worldwide. Watching Rossi dominate a race is so different from watchign Schuamcher dominate one.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2726745)   #43
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of what will happen will depend on the world economy. Motorcycle sales are still off by a huge percentage. If you look at Roadracingworld, the only Japanese manufacturer that is advertising there is Yamaha. The others used to advertise, but become of their huge sales drop, they've had to quit.

Unless the economy gets better, worldwide, don't look for larger grids, you might even get smaller grids, when the various factory's contracts with Droma expire.

Art
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2730602)   #44
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Can see maybe Melandrio being dropped and Gresini perhaps running two semi factory bikes for Dovi and the favoured son Simoncelli? Shame for Maio, he seems quicker this year. But Sic has been getting better.
It grieves me to say it but you may be correct.

Dovi's factory ride in doubt
Old 22 Jul 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2730748)   #45
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
That really bums me out. Assuming Suzuki stay on the grid, we should see no improvement in numbers, unless they allow some of the 1000cc bikes in early as was mentioned.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2739432)   #46
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
So the CEO of Ducati let's it slip that Rossi and Hayden will be their riders next year.

Oops...
Old 5 Aug 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2739854)   #47
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Ducati say it was a fraudulent news report. Gotta love it.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2739865)   #48
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
My prediction:

Ducati
Valentino Rossi
Nicky Hayden

Pramac Ducati
Aleix Espargaro
?

Cardion AB Ducati
Karel Abraham

Aspar Ducati
?

Honda
Casey Stoner
Dani Pedrosa

Gresini Honda
Andrea Dovisioso
Marco Simoncelli

Interwetten Honda
Hiroshi Aoyama

LCR Honda
Loris Capirossi

Yamaha
Jorge Lorenzo
Ben Spies

Tech 3 Yamaha
Cal Crutchlow
Randy de Puniet

Suzuki
Alvaro Bautista
?
Old 5 Aug 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2739868)   #49
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
For those that missed it, Karel Abraham was announced for 2011. He will move up with his Moto 2 team. According to the crash.net release he hasn't even scored a lower category podium. That's just great...

As for my list above, I have no clue on a few of those, but I think the factory seats will shape up like that.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2740836)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It kmind of saddens me that pay riders are now turning up in MotoGP.

It never used to happen, or if it did they never got factory ish bikes! You used to get the odd rich guy having a go but they were half decent, and the Japanese always put a Taira or Yatsushiro lon one of their bikes.

The last proper pay rider i remember was CArdoso? And Rolfo had good money but at least was pretty good.

Abraham is there with money alone, I think he has looked like getting the odd top 6, but that isnt enough to get a GP ride.

Imagine him incurring the warth of a Lawson or Mick !! We need those dyas back!