Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 19 Jun 2011, 00:32 (Ref:2901664)   #151
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
As we've alluded to on this thread before, everything carries a degree of risk - even riding a push bike in the park....any form of racing will naturally be more hazardous, even if it's cycle racing....think of Wouter Weyland, who died after a crash on the Giro D'Italia this year....

Obviously any activity which pits competitors against each other at high speeds is going to be inherently dangerous, and therefore carries a higher probability of injury/death in relation to riding a push bike in the park. The higher the speeds involved the greater the risk. Find a few comparable activities, get some numbers, then come back with some figures. Then we can discuss probabilities
Consider that Bob Wollek after many decades of dangerous racing at Le Mans, was out for a pedal bike ride one day in Florida and was struck and killed by a motorist.

At the end of the day, none of us make it out alive in this world. Unfortunately, it would be nice to see 2100, but most of us probably wont make it.

I think we have to exercise safety and common sense as much as possible and at the IoM I have no doubt that they could take some steps to improve safety.

But we can't stop living. Even if we sat in a virtual electronic bubble and we did everything virtually, we'd then die from inactivity such as obesity or blood clots in the leg or whatever.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2902321)   #152
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found an article by Daniel McCann that was posted at another forum I am member at and it fully reflects my opinion but is way better worded than I probably ever could do.

I have asked at Irishroadracers Forum and I am allowed to link to the mentioned text.

Please have a read at: Triumph of the TT by Daniel McCann
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2904525)   #153
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
I have found an article by Daniel McCann that was posted at another forum I am member at and it fully reflects my opinion but is way better worded than I probably ever could do.

I have asked at Irishroadracers Forum and I am allowed to link to the mentioned text.

Please have a read at: Triumph of the TT by Daniel McCann
Says it all for me.... +1
Old 24 Jun 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2905084)   #154
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have often wondered why Germanbs hold such a fascination for the TT.

It seems to attract far more Germans than any other nation like France or Holland for instance.

Maybe it's the similarities with the Nordschleife?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2905140)   #155
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I have often wondered why Germanbs hold such a fascination for the TT.

It seems to attract far more Germans than any other nation like France or Holland for instance.

Maybe it's the similarities with the Nordschleife?
I think it was mentioned at Manxradio during the TT that French visitors outnumbered Germans and Dutches by far

Hard to say if fascination is caused by the Nordschleife. I, for one, like road racing in general. So not just the TT, NW200 and Macau GP but the Ulster GP, Southern 100, Bush Road Races, Tandragee, Scarborough, Cookstown, Frohburg, Almelo, Oostende, Horice .... too.
Saying that, I feel the thread title is somewhat mis-leading. It should read "road racing pro/con" but if you take the IoM TT as a term for road racing it might work as well, to most.

The Nordschleife as a circuit is almost like the Isle Notre Dame circuit in Montreal (armco-small gras strip-road-small gras strip-armco) , just 5 to 6 times longer (roughly estimated) and with a height difference of around 300m. But there is no motorcycle racing taking place since the 1970s. There are only motorcycle tourist drives but these have to follow german road & street legislation which means top speed 50 km/h at one way street driving usually.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2905144)   #156
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
The Nordschleife .......... motorcycle tourist drives but these have to follow german road & street legislation which means top speed 50 km/h at one way street driving usually.
I think there is a typo in here somewhere !
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2905157)   #157
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is odd because the Frenchg are obbsessed with endurance races obviously coz of Le Mans, but bikes are the same, they love enduranbce events over there!

The Spanish love off road and trials as fans and clearlyu circuit racing, but off road really huge over there and top riders are nearly al French and Spsin/Portugal/Italy.

Speedway is Northern Europe mainly, nothign in Frace and South Europe

Motocross is big in Benelux and France and the emerging nations like Poland/Estonia but again nowt much in SpaIN

iNTERESTING