Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Sep 2002, 16:09 (Ref:381672)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A random idea: Winter series...

Just something that popped into my mind: CART is _widly_ popular in Latin America... Brazilians in particular can't get enough good open-wheel racing. So... How viable might it for for CART to run a high profile 7-round winter series down there? Open the season with a southward trek to Aguascalientes, Mexico, then Mexico City. After that, move the series into South America, starting at Cagua, Venezuela, then finishing out the season at Interlagos, Jacarapagua and Brasilia, and ending up the series at Buenos Aires.

Under the right conditions, this could finally fill a void that's existed since the Austriala's Tasman Cup brought F1 drivers down under during the winter.

Any thoughts?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 16:37 (Ref:381686)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the same drivers? Like, they don't get any time off then?

I think it's a great idea, but it does limit the time for testing and whatnot, not to mention time off for the crews and drivers.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:02 (Ref:381742)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The notion of F1 drivers doing that as a winter thing is not feasible as they have things to do 11 months of the year, and will want the extra break. Good idea that the CART drivers might do, and teams can sue the cahnce to test out drivers for the future, especially Latin American ones. The series could take in other southern hemisphere countries too, maybe Japan Australia and the like.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:07 (Ref:381801)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
They should hold a winter race at Mosport to show off the Bridgestone snow tires!

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Sep 2002 at 19:08.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:14 (Ref:381808)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea. Especially in 2005 when the chassis will be changing again. Currently, they will need the current chassis for 2 more seasons. With cars only being used for 1 season, that will be a good place to use them again. With the comment of using Latin American drivers, I'm not so sure the "big names" aren't the draw. If you put an up and coming Latin American driver in the field with Dario, Paul, Oriol and the others, that might be a better draw. But like Liz said, I don't see the regular drivers stretching out to race a second series. The comment about limiting testing was also good.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:24 (Ref:381814)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... What I was thinking in terms of drivers would be quite a mix, really... A few really dedicated F1 drivers like Jacques and Juan might show up, if they could get dispensation from their contracts... Maybe some top sports or touring car drivers, certainly some young open-wheel drivers, who'd get a great opportunity to test their skills. The series could probably field some small but entertaining fields that way.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 02:45 (Ref:382072)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy, they could have shown off the snow tires Victoria Day weekend at Mosport this year! I was up there camping and there was frost on the ground in the mornings.

I haven't been to Brazil since 1969 so I'd welcome the chance to go back in good weather and do a little samba-ing!