Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2539817)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2009 Chase thread

So the Chase is set, may as well have a thread for it alongside the usual race threads.

Check here for points table updates, news, predictions etc...

How does it work?

After 26 races of the 36 race calendar, the 12 drivers with the most points accumulated have their points 'reset' to 5000.

For each win during these 26 races, a further 10 points are added to the drivers score. So, for example, mark Martin has four wins and starts on 5040 points. Juan Pablo Montoya, with zero wins, starts on 5000.

The points system is no different to normal, with Chase and non-Chase drivers all able to score normal points to add to their tally. So if Martin won he would get the usual 190-195 points and if Montoya finished last he'd get the points for 43rd place, not 12th place (last of the Chase contenders) as some often seem to think.

Obviously, the winner of the 2009 Sprint cup is the guy with the most points after the last race at Homestead. Seemples.

The drivers

Mark Martin (#5)
Tony Stewart (#14)
Jimmie Johnson (#48)
Denny Hamlin (#11)
Kasey Kahne (#9)
Jeff Gordon (#24)
Kurt Busch (#2)
Brian Vickers (#83)
Carl Edwards (#99)
Ryan Newman (#39)
Juan Pablo Montoya (#42)
Greg Biffle (#16)

The tracks

These are the ten races that will run under the Chase banner:

September 20th - New Hampshire
September 27th - Dover
October 4th - Kansas
October 11th - Fontana
October 17th - Charlotte
October 25th - Martinsville
November 1st - Talladega
November 8th - Texas
November 15th - Phoenix
November 22nd - Homestead

But what will I do if I'm a Kyle Busch fan?

Cry. Cry bitter tears. And cheer on Brian Vickers.

What happened to Ryan Newmans neck on his profile page?

Dunno, but it looks serious.

So there we have it...

The Chase is not a perfect system, not the greatest solution. But it's here to stay it seems, so let's look forward to a potentially exciting end to the season with some new faces and old veterans in the mix.

My tip for the Chase: Mark Martin. If (and it's a big if) he can finally get back that old consistency that has been lacking so far this season. On a good day he is devastating.

Who's your tip?

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 Sep 2009 at 16:51.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2539818)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And here is the points table going into the first Chase race next week at Loudon.

Pos.DriverTeamPointsChange
1Mark Martin#5 Kellogg's/Carquest Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5040-
2Tony Stewart#14 Office Depot/Old Spice Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet5030-
3Jimmie Johnson#48 Lowe's Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5030-
4Denny Hamlin#11 FedEx Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota5020-
5Kasey Kahne#9 Budweiser Richard Petty Motorsports Dodge5020-
6Jeff Gordon#24 DuPont Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5010-
7Kurt Busch#2 Miller Lite Penske Racing Dodge5010-
8Brian Vickers#83 Red Bull Racing Team Toyota5010-
9Carl Edwards#99 Aflac Roush Fenway Racing Ford5000-
10Ryan Newman#39 U.S. Army Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet5000-
11Juan Pablo Montoya#42 Target Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet5000-
12Greg Biffle#16 3M Roush Fenway Racing Ford5000-
Old 13 Sep 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2539854)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
You left out some pertinent questions.

What do I do if I am a citizen of Jr Nation?

Blame everything, and demand a change in everything, given that something is obviously completely unfair and stupid with the way things are. In particular, blame the Crew Chief: there really should be a lot of effort into getting worked up about this - so much so that the media find it good to get on the bandwagon.

It certainly isn't any weakness in Jr as driver: we all realise that.

We feel your pain.

Really.

Will Jimmie give his beard free range status during the Chase?

I fear not.

It is most magnificent that he has been giving it a bit of a run this season, but it would appear he isn't willing to just throw caution to the wind and let it loose. We can but hope.

Humanity waits with bated breath (or is that razor?).

I hate The Chase. I hate the COT. I hate the bland corporate image domination which forces personalities out of the equation in NASCAR. I hate that there isn't a road course in The Chase. I hate Jeff Gordon, and I hate Jimmie Johnson. I hate that plate racing is in The Chase.

I would suggest watching another channel.

However, a lot of people seem to just love to hate that which they like to watch. It is a bit of a strange thing, really, but quite common. So, in such an instance, keep the complaining to a minimum. Also, consulting a professional for help with why you follow something you dislike so much might not hurt (anger management, too, perhaps - so much hate can't be good for you or those around you).

Above all, enjoy the racing (and I hope Kyle wins them all, for I assume you hate him!).

I think I've found Ryan Newman's neck; what should I do?

See the official Stewart-Haas website for contact details.

Also, it likes to sleep near open fires if available. Oh, and it has a cat hair allergy. For further information on the proper care and considerations required for achieving maximum happiness for Ryan's neck, contact Newman-Haas Racing.

I'm going with Mark Martin, too. A gut thing. He seems to have to got things sorted out in the last few races, and he is in one heck of a good team. Part of it, too, is that I just want him to win it, which, I would imagine, skews my mind when considering whom I think shall get it.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2539978)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yea for the chase.

GO MARK MARTIN!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2540118)   #5
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
You left out some pertinent questions.

What do I do if I am a citizen of Jr Nation?

Blame everything, and demand a change in everything, given that something is obviously completely unfair and stupid with the way things are. In particular, blame the Crew Chief: there really should be a lot of effort into getting worked up about this - so much so that the media find it good to get on the bandwagon.

It certainly isn't any weakness in Jr as driver: we all realise that.

We feel your pain.

Really.

Will Jimmie give his beard free range status during the Chase?

I fear not.

It is most magnificent that he has been giving it a bit of a run this season, but it would appear he isn't willing to just throw caution to the wind and let it loose. We can but hope.

Humanity waits with bated breath (or is that razor?).

I hate The Chase. I hate the COT. I hate the bland corporate image domination which forces personalities out of the equation in NASCAR. I hate that there isn't a road course in The Chase. I hate Jeff Gordon, and I hate Jimmie Johnson. I hate that plate racing is in The Chase.

I would suggest watching another channel.

However, a lot of people seem to just love to hate that which they like to watch. It is a bit of a strange thing, really, but quite common. So, in such an instance, keep the complaining to a minimum. Also, consulting a professional for help with why you follow something you dislike so much might not hurt (anger management, too, perhaps - so much hate can't be good for you or those around you).

Above all, enjoy the racing (and I hope Kyle wins them all, for I assume you hate him!).

I think I've found Ryan Newman's neck; what should I do?

See the official Stewart-Haas website for contact details.

Also, it likes to sleep near open fires if available. Oh, and it has a cat hair allergy. For further information on the proper care and considerations required for achieving maximum happiness for Ryan's neck, contact Newman-Haas Racing.

I'm going with Mark Martin, too. A gut thing. He seems to have to got things sorted out in the last few races, and he is in one heck of a good team. Part of it, too, is that I just want him to win it, which, I would imagine, skews my mind when considering whom I think shall get it.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2540220)   #6
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmie Johnson will win and make it a 4peat.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2540496)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope Tony can do it. Given that everyone wrote this year off for him at the start of the season and the fact that he is an owner-driver now, he's done a fantastic job this year and it would be remarkable for him to do it. A title with a new team would be a most impressive addition to his resume as well. And he's awesome

I'd love to see JPM do it as well but I don't think he's going to be a contender. It's great that both my favourites have made it in against the odds this year

I wouldn't be too aggrieved if Mark was to win it either, or Jeff. In fact, anyone bar Jimmie or Carl would be good, even including Kurt (to stick one up to all those who have written Dodge off, rather than for the man himself)

So now that I've said that, it'll be one of those 2
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2540578)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I hope Juan Pablo Montoya, Tony Stewart or Mark Martin wins.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2540612)   #9
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well although I think it would be nice if MM wins, I expect the Hendricks will steal points from each other.

I am expecting JPM to do really well, but he hasn't won an a oval, so he'll need every top three finish he can get - too hard.

Carl Edwards, I think he'll grab it in the last race.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2540821)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kasey Kahne - get on him...
Old 15 Sep 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2540875)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one of the 12 usually has a crap week the first go 'round. i think JJ did a couple years back and we saw what happened. and there's always 'dega and martinsville where (IT) happens.

should be interesting.

you know who i'm for and i think he can do it, but the 24, JJ and Smoke stand the best chance in my book. not because they are at the top of the charts, but because they've been the best this year all round. really smart racing and smarts in the pits with a little luck takes it all.

mark can do it, but he is the proverbial brides maid. i hope he can take it!

i predict that he will be the only first time cup winner.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2543560)   #12
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the most interesting Chase yet, with so many of the contenders not readily predictable at the start of the season. This has been a season where only really JPM, the two Stewart-Haas cars, and maybe Brian Vickers have exceeded expectations, and everyone else seems to have done their level best to have failed to qualify....

I don't see either Dodge as a likely winner, as neither has been a consistent contender, and to me, Roush looks like an organisation going backwards, albeit not as fast as RCR- all cars qualified last year, none this year. It was predictable that three HMS cars would get into the Chase, but how many thought that Junior, and not Mark Martin, would be the one to miss out? I did- I don't think that Jr. can drive sheep! Punt him out to a JR Motorsports Cup team to retain the commercial benefits, and sign Montoya to the vacated Hendrick drive to get rid of the dead wood....

Montoya is in my view the real dark horse; I don't think he's run balls-out all season, and I think his team understand the car perfectly well. Now that they have made the Chase, I think we could see the #42 car and its driver showing just how well they can really run.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2543568)   #13
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Kasey Kahne - get on him...
Nooooo....! A really good driver, and on his day, unbeatable, but most days, the team really don't have a handle on the car.

That seems to me to be the real problem with the present car; it has a very small sweet spot. Hit it, and you'll drive away from the field like you're cheating, but miss the set-up by only a little bit, and you can be a lap down before you know it.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2543575)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Most of the season Montoya drove conservative to get in the Chase. Now he's in I hope he will go full power.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2545578)   #15
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Monster is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Most of the season Montoya drove conservative to get in the Chase. Now he's in I hope he will go full power.
We asked for it . . . . We got it!!!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 02:54 (Ref:2545635)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He sure will make it interesting - he wont give an inch & i want to see that "latin" temperament fire up when mixing it with the big guns
Old 22 Sep 2009, 04:16 (Ref:2545666)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
Jimmie Johnson will win and make it a 4peat.
Well, going by your record in IRL predictions, I think we can discount Jimmie now.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2545790)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

gomick, please don't make any more predictions.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2545798)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Pos.DriverTeamPointsChange
1Mark Martin#5 Kellogg's/Carquest Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5230-
2Jimmie Johnson#48 Lowe's Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5195+1
3Denny Hamlin#11 FedEx Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota5195+1
4Juan Pablo Montoya#42 Target Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet5175+7
5Kurt Busch#2 Miller Lite Penske Racing Dodge5165+2
6Tony Stewart#14 Office Depot/Old Spice Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet5156-4
7Ryan Newman#39 U.S. Army Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet5151+3
8Brian Vickers#83 Red Bull Racing Team Toyota5140-
9Greg Biffle#16 3M Roush Fenway Racing Ford5138+3
10Jeff Gordon#24 DuPont Hendrick Motorsport Chevrolet5128-4
11Carl Edwards#99 Aflac Roush Fenway Racing Ford5117-2
12Kasey Kahne#9 Budweiser Richard Petty Motorsports Dodge5069-7

Last edited by Knowlesy; 22 Sep 2009 at 17:18.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2546107)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Stewart doing a 2008 Kyle Busch Chase?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2546533)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Who picked Kasey Kahne -
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2546753)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I think it's between Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Denny Hamlin. Of course Gordon can not afford to make any mistakes.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2546834)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Jeff hasn't looked all that this year. He ghosted his way to a strong season standing somehow, but that won't work in the Chase. For me he has been the disappointment of 2009.

Jimmie has had a bad run of late, but you can never rule him out.

Stewart has tailed off quite badly it seems to me, but did look quite good early on at Loudon.

Hamlin and Martin are the two strong ones and I genuinely believe Montoya can challenge with some luck.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2546971)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hamlin as champion? Doesn't sound right. But it's possible given that he's the only JGR driver in there...

No, I don't think it'll happen. But then again, surely it's inconceivable for Mark Martin to win it for the simple reason that he is Mark Martin
Old 23 Sep 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2547043)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
When I heard Mark had extended his contract another two years, it got me to imagining if he won the next three cups (including this one).

Not exactly likely, of course, but it would be a story for the ages. A guy at a right old age, having come close quite some years before more than once, bags three in a row in the last three years of his career.

From the ultimate nearly man to living legend in the last laps. It would be pretty epic stuff.