Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jun 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4115392)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Five, Croft 25-26 Jun, Races 13,14&15

For the fifth round of the season, the BTCC reaches the halfway point with a visit to Croft for a late June meeting.

First appearing on the BTCC (then BSCC) calendar in 1968, Croft’s history saw a period of time when there was no tarmac surface, and Rallycross was the main category raced at the venue. 1997 saw a major revamp though, and BTCC returned that year with Alain Menu dominating proceedings. Matt Neal also took an Independent win that day in a period when such occasions were rare.
There is a widely held view that the circuit favours RWD cars. This in part due to the Hairpin and tight changes of direction. The first time that constructor NGTC cars raced there though, Honda took a 1st and 3rd, sandwiching the BMW of Collard. The other two races that day also went to FWD machinery.

2013 saw Turkington take two wins and a second, seeming to underline the view that the circuit favours RWD. A feat he almost matched in 2014. 2015 saw a BMW 1-2-3 in the first race, and RWD cars take all three wins. RWD success continued through the rest of the NGTC era, with FWD cars only seemingly getting results in the 3rd race reverse grid. This was the case when the series visited in 2019, with Jordan taking two wins in his BMW, before the Focus of Chilton managed a R3 win.

In 2020 FWD ruled the roost. Josh Cook took the first two wins in his BTC Honda that day, with Ingram taking the third race in the FWD Toyota. Turkington got the only RWD podium with a race one 3rd.
2021 was a mixed bag of results. Aiden Moffat got a RWD win in race one, and Turkington took race three. Five of the nine podiums went to FWD cars though.

Going into the meeting, Sutton and Lloyd’s points scoring streaks ending now means that Josh Cook is the only driver to have scored in each round this season. When you go back into 2021, he now has scored in 18 consecutive races.

At just over 2.1 miles in length, Croft is one of the longer circuits on the BTCC calendar, with a technical nature and tight corners, particularly the final hairpin that sees cars sometimes 3 or 4 abreast coming onto the start/finish straight. Following the recent resurfacing, Jordan set a new Qualifying lap record in 2019 of 1m21.734s, with Turkington setting a race lap record of 1m21.781s in 2020. The layout seems particularly suited to hybrid gains, and when you also consider that BMWs are in 4th, 5th and 8th – the conditions seem set for early RWD results over the weekend.

The early weather forecast suggests a wet qualifying with rain through the majority of the day, and then Sunday looks clearer.

Final TV broadcast details are still to be confirmed. The current timetable is:

TimeActivityChampionshipLaps
Saturday 25 June   
09.30 – 10.10 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship  
10.25 – 10.45 Qualifying ROKiT F4 British Championship 
10.55 – 11.25 Qualifying The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 
11.35 – 11.55 Qualifying Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge 
12.05 – 12.45 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 
12.45 – 13.45 Lunch Break  
13.45 Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
14.20 – 14.35 Free Practice Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship  
14.45 Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 20 mins
15.20 – 15.50 Qualifying Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship  
16.00 – 16.30 Qualifying Porsche Visit Cayman Islands Sprint Challenge Great Britain  
16.40 Race Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge 20 mins
17.15 Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
17.50 – 18.05 Qualifying Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship  

Sunday 26 June   
10.30 – 11.05 Pit Lane Walkabout / Autograph Session   
11.50 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
12.05Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
12.45Race Porsche Visit Cayman Islands Sprint Challenge Great Britain 15
13.20Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
13.50Race ROKiT F4 British Championship 20 mins
14.20 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
14.35Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
15.15Race The Quaife MINI CHALLENGE Trophy 20 mins
15.45RaceProtyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge 20 mins
16.15Race Porsche Visit Cayman Islands Sprint Challenge Great Britain 15
16.50 BTCC Pit Lane Opens   
17.05Race Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
17.40Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 20 mins
Old 13 Jun 2022, 16:33 (Ref:4115406)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Can't remember where I read it but the investigation into the race 3 crash at Oulton will be held over until Croft. I'm sure there will some naughty boy pints to be handed out.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 16:51 (Ref:4115408)   #3
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
naughty boy pints
Oh that'll result in some interesting driving!

I really wouldn't be surprised if Lloyd wasn't on the grid. Shame, being his local round.
Old 16 Jun 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4115888)   #4
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Can't remember where I read it but the investigation into the race 3 crash at Oulton will be held over until Croft. I'm sure there will some naughty boy pints to be handed out.
It's mentioned in Autosport and probably other places.

Lloyd was discussing his future day before yesterday with Excelr8. Or rather his lack of a future if my info is correct.

So who's got a few quid and fancies a ride in a Hyundai?
Old 16 Jun 2022, 13:30 (Ref:4115893)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Lloyd was discussing his future day before yesterday with Excelr8. Or rather his lack of a future if my info is correct.
When he was interviewed on the grid before the first race at Oulton he said he was looking to try and get more sponsors onboard - so presumably was still short of the full season budget at that point. Add in the damage from Oulton and it's probably game over isn't it?
Old 16 Jun 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4115899)   #6
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
When he was interviewed on the grid before the first race at Oulton he said he was looking to try and get more sponsors onboard - so presumably was still short of the full season budget at that point. Add in the damage from Oulton and it's probably game over isn't it?
Think I saw somewhere, maybe it was from his YouTube video he put up, it was around £60k worth of damage?
Old 13 Jun 2022, 21:36 (Ref:4115457)   #7
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't Turkington the King Of Croft ? he needs to score strongly here to recover that 29 points gap to Cooky

Hill is on the verge of exiting the title contenders if he does't score really well
Old 14 Jun 2022, 12:04 (Ref:4115537)   #8
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Hill is on the verge of exiting the title contenders if he does't score really well
In my opinion, Hill's shown this year he's not yet ready to be a champion. Too many unnecessary fights, errors and much too inconsistent. Still needs some time before he can beat Turkington in the same car.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 05:36 (Ref:4115477)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No mention of the knowledgeable Croft crowd?

Look forward to watching this, always good overtaking around the back half of the circuit.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 06:04 (Ref:4115480)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
No mention of the knowledgeable Croft crowd?
Is that knowledgeable in the sense of knowing how best to block a view with a gazebo?
Or knowledgeable in the sense of knowing how to get bogged in the car park mud?
Old 14 Jun 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4115536)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is that knowledgeable in the sense of knowing how best to block a view with a gazebo?
Or knowledgeable in the sense of knowing how to get bogged in the car park mud?
Hmm, I don't know the answer to that.

It used to be a staple of Pre-Croft press releases which mentioned a knowledgeable crowd. I assumed they were quizzing them as they entered the gate.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 12:16 (Ref:4115539)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It used to be a staple of Pre-Croft press releases which mentioned a knowledgeable crowd. I assumed they were quizzing them as they entered the gate.

I think it is just another example of lazy journalism.

In honesty - the most common reference to a knowledgeable crowd I have seen relates to Chennai and cricket.

However, that said, I think the following are examples related to Croft:

'Unfortunately the knowledgeable crowd was deprived of seeing Gary McWilliams’s rapid Toyota Starlet in full-flow'

Harry Vaulkhard [2007] : "The crowd at Croft is always really enthusiastic and knowledgeable and hopefully I will be able to put on a bit of a show for them tomorrow."

Alan Gow [2005] : "Croft is always a favourite venue for our championship and never fails to draw one of the largest, most enthusiastic and knowledgeable crowds of the year,"

In terms of a TOCA crowd, maybe Croft lost the crown as being the knowledgable crowd sometime before the NGTC regs, and Knockhill is now the holder of that title?

2022 - "With a knowledgeable and enthusiastic local crowd, the atmosphere at Knockhill always leaves an impression, matched only by the commitment and skill required to excel on-track."
Old 14 Jun 2022, 13:13 (Ref:4115546)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You know that's a pretty low bar when so many fans can't even get their head around setting a series-link on the right channel
Old 14 Jun 2022, 13:21 (Ref:4115547)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You know that's a pretty low bar when so many fans can't even get their head around setting a series-link on the right channel
I guess the question is: Knowledgeable for a BTCC crowd, or knowledgeable for a Motorsport crowd in general?

In general, I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest the bar for being a knowledgeable BTCC follower is fairly low....

Old 16 Jun 2022, 13:18 (Ref:4115889)   #15
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hmm, I don't know the answer to that.

Knowledgeable probably meant they could correctly name one of Matt Neal or Jason Plato from photographs. Without too much prompting...
Old 14 Jun 2022, 06:41 (Ref:4115485)   #16
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Knowledgeable eh ? That will be the gormless hordes who never visit the circuit except for this meeting , seem to struggle with the concept of litter bins and confuse BTCC with pantomime . Actually, maybe they have a point? Cue cries of 'Oh no they don't !'
Old 14 Jun 2022, 13:53 (Ref:4115552)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they just love the BTCC this crowd, although I'm sure they enjoy other motorsports too. I think you will see evidence of that this weekend
Old 14 Jun 2022, 17:04 (Ref:4115593)   #18
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
They do love BTCC , undeniably , but at least 95 % of them never come to other meetings. And they love BTCC cos it's on telly innit
Old 16 Jun 2022, 07:46 (Ref:4115850)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Lloyd is looking doubtful for Croft, and the rest of his season is also in jeopardy according to reports.

The remainder of the season is speculation, but not an unreasonable conclusion to reach based on what Dan has said: “It was a serious incident and it’s made a huge impact to my budget – I’ve got a meeting with the team first thing on Tuesday to discuss options, and the goal is to be out for the next round at Croft, but it’s not a good situation financially at the moment.”
Old 16 Jun 2022, 08:12 (Ref:4115853)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If he is forced, I wonder who they could replace him with? Proctor? Possibly. I think though we could rule out Goff and Jordan!
Old 16 Jun 2022, 08:52 (Ref:4115860)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If he is forced, I wonder who they could replace him with? Proctor? Possibly. I think though we could rule out Goff and Jordan!
If it is financial, then whoever replaces him will need to provide a budget.
If that budget is to cover the repair bills, they would rightly expect to driver the car for the remainder of the season.
Old 16 Jun 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4115861)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Am I right in thinking that Collard helped him into the spin that caused the mayhem that followed? If so, one would hope that he or his backers would do the decent thing and help financing the costs of repairs.
Old 16 Jun 2022, 09:02 (Ref:4115863)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Am I right in thinking that Collard helped him into the spin that caused the mayhem that followed? If so, one would hope that he or his backers would do the decent thing and help financing the costs of repairs.
That depends on how you view the responsibility for the incident.

The current argument against Collard being apportioned any blame is based on the fact that if you have a car alongside (even partially) you have to give them room. Collard already had one wheel on the white line when Lloyd moved across - so there is a widely held view that Lloyd was entirely at fault.

Backed up by Lloyd's admittance that he was at fault, and Collard's statements about Lloyd's actions.

The other part lies in - where do you stop? Does Collard have a responsibility for supporting Turkington and Crees' repair bills?
Old 16 Jun 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4115867)   #24
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Motorsport has everr been so , it sets a dangerous president although didn't Andy Neate stump up after his Thruxton fiasco? Where would it all end? Would Collard also have to cover the Turkington damage - it might be argued his Dad already has!
Old 16 Jun 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4115869)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apologies, wasn't aware that Lloyd had admitted that he was to blame.