Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4155739)   #1001
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are paddock and gridwalk tickets? Not use to having to purchase extra tickets to visit the paddock area nor goi to the gridwalk at IMSA events. Entry tickets cover everything except parking and camping in most cases at IMSA events. Some have grandstand tickets but not all.
Old 13 May 2023, 04:41 (Ref:4155788)   #1002
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
What are paddock and gridwalk tickets? Not use to having to purchase extra tickets to visit the paddock area nor goi to the gridwalk at IMSA events. Entry tickets cover everything except parking and camping in most cases at IMSA events. Some have grandstand tickets but not all.
With hundreds of thousands of people trackside, access to this kind of thing kinda has to be limited by selling separate (and more expensive) tickets; I can see why people coming from other events might not like this thing, but I can see the organizers' point of view as well considering the comparative crowds.

And even with that, a friend who worked as a photographer at the race last year told me that the gridwalk was insanely crowded in '22, it's likely going to be even worse this year.
Old 13 May 2023, 08:36 (Ref:4155808)   #1003
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep. No access to the paddock area behind the pits unless you can sneak in (as I have a few times) and certainly no chance of getting on the gridwalk unless your pockets are as large as Victor's clearly are!
Old 13 May 2023, 17:33 (Ref:4155873)   #1004
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No paddock access even on the Friday?
Old 13 May 2023, 18:31 (Ref:4155878)   #1005
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
And even with that, a friend who worked as a photographer at the race last year told me that the gridwalk was insanely crowded in '22, it's likely going to be even worse this year.
Re 2022 - we watched from the ACO tribune and it was very crowded.
Old 13 May 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4155881)   #1006
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't say that it would be the same as Le Mans but gridwalk at the Petit sure is crowded too.

Old 13 May 2023, 19:05 (Ref:4155882)   #1007
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Can't say that it would be the same as Le Mans but gridwalk at the Petit sure is crowded too.

Looking forward to confirming in October ...
Old 13 May 2023, 20:14 (Ref:4155895)   #1008
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Looking forward to confirming in October ...
Glad to hear that you'll be there. I wish we could have a group gathering just like the folks at Le Mans. Maybe not as many people but still would be nice.
Old 13 May 2023, 20:34 (Ref:4155896)   #1009
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
No paddock access even on the Friday?
Nope. Just the (crowded) pitlane. Access to the support acts, I assume. As I say, access to the paddock has been restricted for a long time now - unless Hugh Chamberlain is there and leaves a gate from the pitlane open.....
Old 13 May 2023, 21:02 (Ref:4155903)   #1010
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a two-layer paddock right? Because you can certainly get in to the area with the hospitality units and see drivers coming out of the garages/trucks. There's even a bar in there.
Old 13 May 2023, 21:55 (Ref:4155915)   #1011
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
There's a two-layer paddock right? Because you can certainly get in to the area with the hospitality units and see drivers coming out of the garages/trucks. There's even a bar in there.
That's the bit I mean
Old 14 May 2023, 05:06 (Ref:4155928)   #1012
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see FP4 on the Thursday evening has been cut to just one hour, 10-11pm, according to the programme on the ACO website.
Old 14 May 2023, 08:27 (Ref:4155936)   #1013
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I see FP4 on the Thursday evening has been cut to just one hour, 10-11pm, according to the programme on the ACO website.
So they can save money on those tyre warmer electricity bills maybe

Doesn't bother me at all. While useful for teams to an extent (especially if someone still needs night laps), from a fan perspective it's a completely dead session. I think mostly it's a slightly bitter reminder of how they changed quali.

They've already stripped two hours from Test Day running and this would be be a third hour lost. I'm sure the new Hypercar teams won't love it, but generally I tend to think there's too much track time during the build-up. I think quite a few teams might just park it for FP4 now. We saw a bit of that previously.
Old 14 May 2023, 09:02 (Ref:4155939)   #1014
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So they can save money on those tyre warmer electricity bills maybe

Doesn't bother me at all. While useful for teams to an extent (especially if someone still needs night laps), from a fan perspective it's a completely dead session. I think mostly it's a slightly bitter reminder of how they changed quali.

They've already stripped two hours from Test Day running and this would be be a third hour lost. I'm sure the new Hypercar teams won't love it, but generally I tend to think there's too much track time during the build-up. I think quite a few teams might just park it for FP4 now. We saw a bit of that previously.
Yep, completely dead session for spectators, apart from dedicated photographers, but it is an important session for teams needing to complete their night laps, and for that reason I'm surprised they've reduced it to one hour (not that it bothers me, I'm unlikely to have remained trackside to the bitter end for that session).
Old 14 May 2023, 09:37 (Ref:4155942)   #1015
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Yes, I wasn't thinking of that bit as it is all hospitality and a very expensive bar.
Old 14 May 2023, 09:42 (Ref:4155943)   #1016
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Yep, completely dead session for spectators, apart from dedicated photographers, but it is an important session for teams needing to complete their night laps, and for that reason I'm surprised they've reduced it to one hour (not that it bothers me, I'm unlikely to have remained trackside to the bitter end for that session).
I would certainly have stayed to the end, as always, whether it was out at Arnage/Indianapolis or Mulsanne Corner as we're always at one of those places for the evening sessions, but it's the first time I can recall that session being truncated? It's still a mystery to me why the ACO persist with Hyperpole, thus rendering the sessions that follow it relatively pointless for spectators. They obviously think it adds to 'the show' whereas most of us purists were very happy with 6 hours of qualifying over 3 sessions.

Oh well, I guess I'll get to bed an hour earlier....
Old 14 May 2023, 11:18 (Ref:4155951)   #1017
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This has no doubt been discussed previously but any idea when the bus services (road train) start? Can't find it on the official site.
Old 14 May 2023, 13:05 (Ref:4155965)   #1018
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This has no doubt been discussed previously but any idea when the bus services (road train) start? Can't find it on the official site.
I've found this for bus services. It's a bit small, but I can just read it. Not sure that it relates to the road train though....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-05-14 140353.jpg  
Old 14 May 2023, 14:02 (Ref:4155971)   #1019
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you'll find it's last years.
Old 14 May 2023, 14:18 (Ref:4155974)   #1020
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yeah, from past experience that part is (or at least used to be) open to GA tickets until Friday evening.
Old 14 May 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4155978)   #1021
Mike E
Veteran

Just checked the long range forecast. Partly cloudy, max 22C, 25% chance of moistness. Very agreeable.
Old 14 May 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4155981)   #1022
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
How does one get his/her tickets sent?

Hello Tenthers, I was wondering, being in the process of obtaining tickets via the non-official way and not having been to Le Mans for the last three years:
How do you get your tickets? I reccon no langer by snailmail...
Old 14 May 2023, 16:48 (Ref:4155989)   #1023
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I bought mine direct from the ACO in the two parts, entry and grandstand and then a month or so later the parking. In each case the tickets were delivered about a week later. I elected to have paper rather than electronic tickets although I do have a couple of additional electronic tickets.

It's fairly late to be trying to source tickets?
Old 14 May 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4155994)   #1024
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yep these days it is direct from the ACO
Old 14 May 2023, 19:02 (Ref:4155996)   #1025
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
With agencies no longer able to guarantee stuff I think ACO membership - buy direct is the way many (myself included are going). That said after last year ACO membership will be going through the roof I imagine.

It will be interesting to see to what extent this surge is just based around the 100th edition. I think it's far more than that and I'd expect next year to be a sell-out too.