Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Nov 2002, 16:55 (Ref:434087)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Herta return to CART for 2003?

Brian Herta is rumored to be returning to CART next year. The rumor source said that there is an 80% chance of his return.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 16:59 (Ref:434096)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've heard his name being bounced around alot lately, too. I've always liked Herta, and obviously hope that things work out for him in his quest for a ChampCar ride. And if they do, I'm going to place my bets early on who wins Laguna!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 17:10 (Ref:434106)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard that it may be with Wayne Thomas' new team -- they are buds.

Speaking of Wayne Thomas and buds, can't somebody persuade Kevin Jeanette to start a Champ Car team? He could fund it with the money he finds behind the seats of his cars.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 17:35 (Ref:434121)   #4
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to his Minardi F1 ride? Wouldda been career death anyway.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 18:09 (Ref:434150)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't he also linked to Gurney's abandoned attempt at a GP team for 2003?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 19:09 (Ref:434176)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan "Will Drive For Anybody" Herta -- team him up with Memo "I'll Work For Free and Sleep On Your Sofa" Gidley and what a team! A couple of hard workers who will work for nothing. Who could ask for anything more?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 20:11 (Ref:434214)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess its good to have increased car count, but there are other guys id rather have than Take 2 of guys who werent cutting it. I was amazed at how uncompetitive Herta was this year, even against his Panoz teammates
Old 21 Nov 2002, 21:07 (Ref:434252)   #8
Liz
Veteran

One advantage to starting your own team is that you can hire your friends. And who knows, perhaps Herta is a partner in the team? (I have no idea if he is or not, but it's at least possible.)
Old 21 Nov 2002, 21:30 (Ref:434270)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Herta. He's a nice guy and a good driver so I hope he returns next year. CART needs the presence of a couple of Yanks anyway.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 21:37 (Ref:434277)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Not much in it for Jeanette go the CART route. Other then to field a car for the kid.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 23:07 (Ref:434326)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Well, somebody get over there and convince Beeker, I mean Gunnar that he wants to drive an open wheel car! (He could do it. He's very fast.) [But he does look like Beaker. Sounds like him too.]
Old 21 Nov 2002, 23:19 (Ref:434335)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, we allready got Domingues and Camathias, do we really need more rich amateurs?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 23:43 (Ref:434350)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan and Gunnar are good drivers and nice guys, but there are a lot of other yanks and canuks in the ladder systems and touring/GT cars who just aren't getting even a look from CART teams.

Seems like it's become a very closed family... All the new blood seems to be pay.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 00:34 (Ref:434375)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd honestly rather give the driver to one of the yanks who've proven their worth in Atlantic... Lot's of potential there, and these are guys that might stick with Cart for a few years until they win a championship or something.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Nov 2002, 01:13 (Ref:434390)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Well, do you think then that people who want to start teams in CART should not be allowed to pick the drivers they want to hire? Should CART just assign them a driver from the list, so we have the right quota of each specific group that we favour and nobody else gets in from groups we don't think ought to be "grabbing all the seats" from the people on our favourites list?

Or maybe we should give them extra money for hiring off the quota list. I guess that'd make the guys on the quota list feel just as proud as if they had earned their drives.

Of course both of those solutions are nonsense. But if you want only certain people hired and not others, how else are you going to do it?
Old 22 Nov 2002, 01:30 (Ref:434400)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez Liz... Calm down, all I'm suggesting is there are some places where CART teams could look to find driving talent that they've been ignoring lately. Time was when they'd bring in drivers from Trans-Am, IMSA... Lately it's just been guys from F3/F3000, ex-F1, or Indy Lights... I think it'd be beneficial to all if the team principals just took a bit wider perspective, instead of constantly re-hiring guys who are just, well, "good enough."

I didn't say _anything_ about quotas... It's _always_ going to be up the the team principals who they hire, and rightly so.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 01:42 (Ref:434403)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Hey, whoever they hire I'm happy for them. I'm just saying there are some drivers, I would like to see join the series, and I'm sure the same is true for others.

Bryan does have a lot of talent, but he's had his chances in the sport and I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Atlantics guys given a chance...just my personal preference. If Bryan gets a ride, all the best to him!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Nov 2002, 02:19 (Ref:434408)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Sorry if I went overboard; I'm just glad to see anybody start up a new team and if he wants to hire the Rolling Stones to drive his cars, that's fine with me. When I start my own team I'm hiring Josh Beaulieu even if he's NOT an American.

P.S. I thought of a name for my next year's Fantasy Team. TGIF The Guys In Front. If they have a bad weekend they will be The Guys in Frocks.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 02:38 (Ref:434411)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
One of the rolling stones might get a champcar ride!?! Now that's what I call publicity!
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:13 (Ref:434685)   #20
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see that Herta/Gidley team. Damn, I have to win the Lottery.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:14 (Ref:434686)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Alice Cooper has bought a NASCAR team. It could happen!
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:19 (Ref:434720)   #22
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm being led to believe that Herta will drive for FCR if the Yoong deal comes together.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 22:21 (Ref:435022)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Herta because he's the eternal underdog. There are times when he's smoking fast, but there are all the other times when he beyond slow. If I were a team owner, I can't say I'd hire him if he offered to pay me. Herta has blown it, no one's going to give him a chance now he's repeatedly shown his inconsistancy. On the up side, Brian will forever be known as the master of Laguna.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 04:52 (Ref:435121)   #24
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that Herta ran a car for Forsythe at Laguna Seca a couple of years ago. Forsythe said at the time that he would run Herta if he could find the finance for a third car. What chance Herta and Yoong in a Forsythe owned, American based Reynard team underwritten by alot of Malaysian money and some associate sponsors. Herta did test for Minardi and Yoong is ex Minardi, and there are rumours of Minardi participation in CART. Add fuel to the fire with possible Red Bull particpation in Minardi's Formula one team and how much sense would it make....nah its only speculation...