Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 Jul 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1023619)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David Purley

Died 19 years ago.

A brave man - he tried to rescue Roger Williamson in 1973 and a few years later had a massive crash himself.

Killed in a stunt plane accident.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1024670)   #2
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first ever race meeting I marshalled at was 1976 at Snetts for a Shell Sport Group 8 meeting and David Purley was driving the Lec 5000. I was sent armed only with a broom and bottle (fire!) to the outside of 'The Esses' which in those days was daunting with no run off area. First out was Purley, within a very short space of time he was flicking the car right and powersliding under the bridge leaving great trails of rubber behind. From that moment on I was hooked and have marshalled ever since, David Purley was a 'top bloke' very brave and sorely missed, thank you for those memories RIP - Balders
Old 7 Dec 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1173556)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
A True Hero

I find it hard to put into words the loss of David Purley. He was so brave and fearless. Maybe that is what contributed to his death.
I remember watching in horror as David struggled to rescue Roger Williamson. The emotion was there for all to see.
A few weeks later I was in Germany at the Nurburgring for the Grand Prix. Purley was in the March and was naturally somewhat subdued. However I got a cracking photo of him slicing through the Hatzenbatch Curves. I subsequently sent him a copy with a short note expressing my appreciation of what he had done in Holland. David got in touch and we met up at Oulton Park in September and had a long chat. The incident still prayed on his mind and it was clear it would for a long time.