Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 17 Apr 2004, 21:59 (Ref:942888)   #1
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 Turbo Diesel...Strangely Wow!

my driving instructor trusts me...in fact he trusts me so much he offered me a couple of hours breaking in his new car along the very fast, very nice roads of mid-kent in a vauxhall corsa 1.3TDi. i initially thought it was going to be another Daewoo Kalos, but i was VERY surprised by the performance of this diesel engine! i managed to go from 0-60 in around 10ish seconds changing at 5000rpm, this thing takes off!

is anyone else surprised by this ind of performance?! i thought diesels were slow and pokey, i thought corsas were la-la cars with about as much oompf and driveability as an old skoda with a cold, but i managed to out-pace anything on these kent roads with ease!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 18 Apr 2004, 13:01 (Ref:943290)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah .. it;s a Fiat engine i think .. the same as in the new Panda ..

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Apr 2004, 17:20 (Ref:943412)   #3
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last week I drove a new 3 ylinder 1.0 litre Corsa - which I fully expected to be hopeless - and was surprised just how free reving it was , how well it went - and the engine is physically so tiny it could fit in a motorcycle.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 12:17 (Ref:944077)   #4
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two comments here, one on diesels, one on Corsas. Had a Focus TDCi as a hire car recently, and I couldn't believe how quick it was from a standing start - something diesels have never usually been noted for. Trouble was, it still made awful diesel noises all the time, so it won't be on my shopping list. As for Corsas, I hired a 1.2 petrol one for a few days last year. When the bloke reminded me I would be responsible for any speeding tickets, I laughed and said "what, in 1.2 Corsa". "You'd be surprised", he said, and I was - it didn't half move for a little 'un. Great engine, smooth and quiet too, but frankly the rest of the car was rubbish.

Last edited by davemorganfan; 19 Apr 2004 at 12:20.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 19:24 (Ref:944594)   #5
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These modern turbo diesels have got a lot of torque and thats what makes them go so well. Why do you think that VW now do a turbo diesel GTI and Audi do a quattro S3 with a diesel. They have come along way with since the old 2.3 diesel sierra you know. The newer type diesels use common rail fuel injection and even trucks have it on now. I remember seeing a Golf GTI diesel in a race for VW's last year it did very well.

Last edited by tangoed sparky; 19 Apr 2004 at 19:25.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 05:31 (Ref:956382)   #6
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take you haven't had the chance to drive a modified supercharged 5.0 Mustang. Zero to breaking all the country's speed limits in under 5.5 seconds
Old 3 May 2004, 08:37 (Ref:959094)   #7
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fast95pony
I take you haven't had the chance to drive a modified supercharged 5.0 Mustang. Zero to breaking all the country's speed limits in under 5.5 seconds
I might have known you'd swing the thread round to a Pony related thing mate Sounds like a tasty bit of kit tho. Any pics?
Old 7 May 2004, 07:09 (Ref:963133)   #8
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LoL , I grew up in England . My dad had a Fiat van with a whopping 903 cc engine. Mum , Dad and 5 kids in it made for rather slow van . The car to have was a 2.0 Cortina . I came to Canada for a holiday and had a ride in Corvette. I fell in love with the sound of V8's .
I still like euro cars though. I'd sell my Stang for a Focus RS ,but they don't sell them here..

I have some pics at www.yyc95gts.stangnet.com
Old 8 May 2004, 05:31 (Ref:964017)   #9
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the pics Pony man. That's a fine ride u have there fella. You wouldn't really swap that beauty for a Focus RS would ya. Sure they do go like off a shovel but they're supposed to be a real ***** to handle on the road due to the "twitchy" steering. All the best mate Oily
Old 25 May 2004, 07:14 (Ref:982213)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of Australians complain that we don't get a lot of really good cars over here, but fortunately we don't get 1.0 and 1.2 Corsas either. Over here the Corsa is called the Holden Barina and the base model is a 1.4. The sports model is a 1.8, my Aunt has one and it's not too bad.