Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1746429)   #26
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not dream of speaking for him but having discussed the matter with him at length it is quite a personal thing that he has thought about very carefully. As he has said for many years he has made his living for more than 40 years off "a fading image" and yet remains as well known now globally as ever before. As he has also pointed out, were he to wear all the stuff the rest of us use then it could be anyone in the car. He simply points out that the paying public expect an image from him that they dont necessarily expect from other retired drivers. I agree that he takes it a bit easier these days but he was still moving along in the Ferguson 4WD at the Revival in practice - poor seat and bad mirrors permitting!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1746481)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTM
I would not dream of speaking for him but having discussed the matter with him at length it is quite a personal thing that he has thought about very carefully. As he has said for many years he has made his living for more than 40 years off "a fading image" and yet remains as well known now globally as ever before. As he has also pointed out, were he to wear all the stuff the rest of us use then it could be anyone in the car. He simply points out that the paying public expect an image from him that they dont necessarily expect from other retired drivers. I agree that he takes it a bit easier these days but he was still moving along in the Ferguson 4WD at the Revival in practice - poor seat and bad mirrors permitting!
Didnt Whizzo take over for the race though?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1746491)   #28
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
Absolutely because Stirling couldnt see out in the mirrors and could not find a comfortable position. Whizzo then jumped in and drove the wheels off the thing - quite remarkable.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1747453)   #29
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Stirling's waiver...

I'm really intrigued why the FIA would allow this, what do they gain?
Is this waiver unique to Stirling?
If not who did set the precedent?
Have others applied and been refused?
Does it apply wherever and whatever he races?

I couldn't get 'off games' even with a letter from my mum and a verrucca!

RT
Old 24 Oct 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1747529)   #30
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
He tells me it is available to any racer who used that sort of stuff in period - I guess they would all be around his age now. I gather however nobody else has taken up the option which is hardly surprising!! He carries the letter with him world wide and if I remember correctly it is signed by Max Mosley (I think). Personally I think it is an issue that would only be of interest to him because of his unique history and way of making a living.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1747940)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If anyone knows the risks, he does, so as far as I'm concerned, as long as he isn't endangering anyone else, and IMO he isn't, let him wear what he wants.

wearing cool and trendy racing threads on a stratcher isn't cool ,so if your jealous I'd suggests its for reasons other than his racing attire . . . . possibly his ability to drive better in his 70's than a majority of us lot put together in our prime ?
Old 24 Oct 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1748099)   #32
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No..not at all jealous (of his waiver)

I'm happy to wear the modern kit...you never know just how long it might take for someone to reach you if it went wrong...

RT
Old 24 Oct 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1748181)   #33
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
... You'd think at Goodwood especially he'd have everything going that he could to protect him. Seems his image is more important to him?
He WAS driving a tank ...
Old 25 Oct 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1748452)   #34
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
If anyone knows the risks, he does, so as far as I'm concerned, as long as he isn't endangering anyone else, and IMO he isn't, let him wear what he wants.

wearing cool and trendy racing threads on a stratcher isn't cool ,so if your jealous I'd suggests its for reasons other than his racing attire . . . . possibly his ability to drive better in his 70's than a majority of us lot put together in our prime ?

I agree - that is exactly the point. He has thought about it a lot and it is simply a personal thing for him. I think he has pretty much earned that choice dont you agree.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1748647)   #35
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I'm staying off topic too but from the marketing/branding perspective, I'd be expecting JYS do something like this, being the businessman he is.