Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1752940)   #76
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just some bits to input from this side. Firstly Minilites-about seven years or so ago the Historic Motorsport commission were persuaded that some wire/steel wheels were unsafe or not available, so as a safety concession cars in period F -61-65 which did not have an alloy in period were allowed to use Minilite style wheels. So no homologation issues.
MGB front valences never were run prior to 1966 with holes in them. So the body does not conform. I think all the cars at Spa had the holes coverd up at least, certainly I went down the pit lane twice reminding/telling people.
Just because a car goes through scrutineering it does not necessarily mean that it complies to the letter with the regs.All FIA Tech Delegates have a small measure of common sense leeway written into Appendix K such that we can say-not right this time on minor stuff, and then note on the HVIF/HTP what must be correct next time. I am sure that no-one wants unreasonable standards set but the need to play God makes the job very complex sometimes, after all you don't know what conversation I have had in the bay.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1753387)   #77
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I think that in an ideal world, scrutineering bays would havea 4 post lift, then perhaps some of these cars would be put back onto their trailers..
Brands Hatch have one . . .the HRSR had my car up on it for scrutineering in my first year . . .they questioned a few bits ( wrongly)

Interesting that it sailed through its FiA inspection but they questioned some of the kit ( aluminium diff nose and tail housing) and the fact I didn;t have a multilinked rear ens shocked them as well
Old 30 Oct 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1753629)   #78
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the input Jeremy, my point is not to single out any one type of car,but I do realize the kind of task you face when in the bay.What I am trying to get over is that when these cars are presented,as you have already stated,is the fact that really ,the individual tech reps, ideally would be on hand to say," no you cant,or, yes you can",or to really make the point,someyhing on the lines of what you did at Silverstone. Now that certainly made some of these people think, obviously they have "Gold Fish Syndrome " when it comes to remembering these things! Like you,ve already explained, you place your trust in peoples honesty.