Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jan 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3013900)   #651
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
I'm very much looking forward to it, much like I was when I ventured down for the inaugural B24hr event.

In this format I believe it has the potential to become one of Australias premiere races, and I hope it continues to grow from year to year. I just hope the promoters put on a good show and can convince more overseas and local teams to enter in following years.
Totally agree. I haven't really bothered going to the 12hr previously years as always been too busy and not that interested in the prod cars, but this I won't miss. It's not everyday you get to see this calibre of motorcar hurtling around our favorite mountain
Old 19 Jan 2012, 02:09 (Ref:3013902)   #652
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I'd laugh if the Hyundai GT3 car that has been proposed got to the 12 Hours before V8s got one to the 1000km...
Someone please enter a Hyundai GT3
Old 19 Jan 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3013907)   #653
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd laugh if the Hyundai GT3 car that has been proposed got to the 12 Hours before V8s got one to the 1000km...

Race is going to be mega. At the moment 18 proper GT cars a dozen proper production/other racers...some big names. Great track. What's not to look forward to?
Saturday qualifying
Old 19 Jan 2012, 02:51 (Ref:3013908)   #654
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
Saturday qualifying
There will be a couple of brilliant Improved Production races to watch on Saturday.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:03 (Ref:3013910)   #655
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Saturday qualifying
Saturday qualifying will be interesting, its just a different way of doing things, and much more intriguing than old fashioned way, (it will be the same as last year though)
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:13 (Ref:3013911)   #656
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
There will be a couple of brilliant Improved Production races to watch on Saturday.
More than 55 Improved Production Touring Cars and 33 Sports Sedans entered, the support races will be awesome!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3013913)   #657
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Yep, looking forward to the sports sedans and catching up with a few of the IP boys

Gonna be a cracker weekend of racing, just hope it's dry!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:30 (Ref:3013916)   #658
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Yep, looking forward to the sports sedans and catching up with a few of the IP boys

Gonna be a cracker weekend of racing, just hope it's dry!
I wouldn't mind it being a bit wet, might have some real fun in the Gti then

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 19 Jan 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3013920)   #659
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Yeah wouldn't wanna be in one of those big horsepower rear wheel drives though lol!

(remembers flashbacks to my Bathurst debut back in 2009 )
Old 19 Jan 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3013940)   #660
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Saturday qualifying will be interesting, its just a different way of doing things, and much more intriguing than old fashioned way, (it will be the same as last year though)

As intriguing as it maybe to you to watch them lift out early somewhere for fear of breaking out, I rather watch then going as hard as they can in qualifying.. Anyway the rules are set and we are stuck with it for now so a moot point...
Old 19 Jan 2012, 06:54 (Ref:3013941)   #661
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
As intriguing as it maybe to you to watch them lift out early somewhere for fear of breaking out, I rather watch then going as hard as they can in qualifying.. Anyway the rules are set and we are stuck with it for now so a moot point...
thats the thing, you will be able to watch them at full noise for whole laps. what you are showing is how much you dont understand how qualifying works

i think you are also proving what a dud system class racing is, no one cares about the other classes.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3013943)   #662
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Race is going to be mega. At the moment 18 proper GT cars a dozen proper production/other racers...some big names. Great track. What's not to look forward to?
From the local outfit that claims they'll build cars to both GTE, and GT2 spec?

As an aside, the field looks decent. Can't wait for the race.

Quote:
'Different' in this case, can very easily be deemed inferior. Removing however small a spectacle from the event seems counter-intuitive, from the organisers perspective (at least when considering the spectator's viewpoint). Regardless of whether qualifying might be ultimately pointless in endurance, it's still part of the show, for every major event.

I'm just glad they haven't tarnished the race by enacting any further Creventic BoP measures.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3013945)   #663
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post

'Different' in this case, can very easily be deemed inferior. Removing however small a spectacle from the event seems counter-intuitive, from the organisers perspective (at least when considering the spectator's viewpoint). Regardless of whether qualifying might be ultimately pointless in endurance, it's still part of the show, for every major event.

I'm just glad they haven't tarnished the race by enacting any further Creventic BoP measures.
different can also be superior, and in this case it is, a straight out fastest car over one lap is great for a 20 minute race, but surely a race that is based on strategy should have a qualifying session that is based on strategy also.

besides i dont think spectators are really being considered, as there really wont be that many
Old 19 Jan 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3013948)   #664
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
different can also be superior, and in this case it is, a straight out fastest car over one lap is great for a 20 minute race, but surely a race that is based on strategy should have a qualifying session that is based on strategy also.

besides i dont think spectators are really being considered, as there really wont be that many
Except, to those aware, this particular version of 'different' has been universally criticised by an overwhelming (spectator) majority. There is that.

If qualifying is irrelevant, why is there a need for strategy?
Why modify a functional format, for something unproven, that's (evidently) detrimental (by however minimal the means) to the event.

In regards to spectators, that might be true.
There aren't yet any attendance figures.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3013950)   #665
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
................besides i dont think spectators are really being considered, as there really wont be that many
Well, if you are correct with your crowd number predictions, at least we will be a quality over quantity crowd, rather than the bogan trash who turn up in October.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3013970)   #666
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
thats the thing, you will be able to watch them at full noise for whole laps. what you are showing is how much you dont understand how qualifying works

i think you are also proving what a dud system class racing is, no one cares about the other classes.
I get qualifying and care about other classes, but yeah whatever mate
Old 19 Jan 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3013972)   #667
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Except, to those aware, this particular version of 'different' has been universally criticised by an overwhelming (spectator) majority. There is that.

If qualifying is irrelevant, why is there a need for strategy?
Why modify a functional format, for something unproven, that's (evidently) detrimental (by however minimal the means) to the event.

In regards to spectators, that might be true.
There aren't yet any attendance figures.
oh please, show me evidence of that criticism, you just made that up.

if it is irrelevant (you said that) then why not have strategy, why not make it relevant to the rest of the race.

who said it is unproven, they did it last year, and from what i read they did it in the middle east the other week, and are probably doing it again this coming weekend. its different, awesome. we should celebrate instead of accepting the mundane.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3013985)   #668
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't mind it being a bit wet, might have some real fun in the Gti then
I was wondering if you were racing mtpanorama. Must be itching for the weekend.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3013993)   #669
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
oh please, show me evidence of that criticism, you just made that up.

if it is irrelevant (you said that) then why not have strategy, why not make it relevant to the rest of the race.

who said it is unproven, they did it last year, and from what i read they did it in the middle east the other week, and are probably doing it again this coming weekend. its different, awesome. we should celebrate instead of accepting the mundane.
No problemo. Here's two examples where blatant displeasure is evidenced:

- Ten-Tenths, Dubai24 Hour thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=131521&page=4 (post #39 onwards).

- Radio Le Mans Dubai24 Hour Thread:
http://radiolemans.0157.org/content/...raceday?page=2

Like everything subject to opinion, there are differences.
The results ultimately sway in favour of negative perspective (in regards to the BoP).

There's difference, that being a unique separation. Then, there's positive difference, which is demonstrating improvement or superiority in some capacity, as a result of difference.
The former, you could reasonably claim. You'd likely face considerable adversity in convincing many spectators of the latter, in regards to the topic at hand.

As far as the method being unproven is concerned, its introduction hasn't demonstrably added (positively) to any of the events where it's been enacted.
Posters have actively stated (even in this thread) they no longer consider the qualifying session worthy of their attendance as a result of this specific means of BoP being enacted.

Qualifying, as it concerns the Bathurst 12 Hour event in its current form, is irrelevant. There's isn't a great deal that can be done to change this. It's an endurance event.
If I'm given an ultimatum between no spectacle, and a spectacle (in this case, a mildly entertaining precursor to the main event), I'll happily choose the latter on every occasion.

It seems that most spectators who have voiced a perspective share a similar viewpoint.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 19 Jan 2012 at 09:41.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3013999)   #670
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well i guess we should cater to he lowest common dominator (meathead) then. if thats what enduro racing has come to, then lets have a vb challenge and xxxx gold dancers as well

seriously why even bother with qualifying if it it is not representative off the race. why not just draw it out of a hat,

i like that 3 drivers get to do there best time and we take the average, that's awesome. more off it in enduros i say

if i wanted to see who can be the quickest on one lap, i would go to drag racing
Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3014004)   #671
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
well i guess we should cater to he lowest common dominator (meathead) then. if thats what enduro racing has come to, then lets have a vb challenge and xxxx gold dancers as well
What ever you're smoking, I'd like some.

Motorsport is fragmented. Travelling as fast as possible from A-B and out placing competitors, are the few (if not, the only) areas where the majority are on agreeable terms.
If the system is both common/functional, chances are no-one has taken issue.

Quote:
seriously why even bother with qualifying if it it is not representative off the race. why not just draw it out of a hat,
As it is now, I'd agree. Qualifying is both irrelevant/a non-event.

Quote:
i like that 3 drivers get to do there best time and we take the average, that's awesome. more off it in enduros i say
The average doesn't seem to be as much an issue for most (it isn't for me, anyway). It's the benchmark (restricted) time.

Quote:
if i wanted to see who can be the quickest on one lap, i would go to drag racing
Someone should probably notify all major racing series. They'll need to make some changes.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3014007)   #672
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame qualifying has been restricted to its current format.
Not only is it a issues with the fans of the event but it also takes away a card from the team strategy. Qualifying allows the teams to play mindgames with fellow teams in the lead up to the race itself so it does take away an aspect of the race but it does add another dimension where there is a larger aspect of the unknown to what the other teams are really capable of. The new rules will create larger disparity in the race for reasons anyone on this forum would understand. Hopefully it will be reverted to more traditional regulations next year.
Great to see the support classes will be providing a few days of brilliant entertainment before our longest international endrurance event in Australia.

Thanks again to the promoters for providing such a fantastic event with more GT cars than the Bathurst 24hr 2002 on it 10 year anniversary.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3014011)   #673
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24 View Post
Its a shame qualifying has been restricted to its current format.
Not only is it a issues with the fans of the event but it also takes away a card from the team strategy. Qualifying allows the teams to play mindgames with fellow teams in the lead up to the race itself so it does take away an aspect of the race but it does add another dimension where there is a larger aspect of the unknown to what the other teams are really capable of. The new rules will create larger disparity in the race for reasons anyone on this forum would understand. Hopefully it will be reverted to more traditional regulations next year.
Great to see the support classes will be providing a few days of brilliant entertainment before our longest international endrurance event in Australia.

Thanks again to the promoters for providing such a fantastic event with more GT cars than the Bathurst 24hr 2002 on it 10 year anniversary.
Agreed.
This tends to be easily lost amongst the differences in opinion.

I'll be there in late February supporting the event, regardless of what I think about certain aspects of it.
They're building an event and, so far they've managed quite well for most part. Despite the hurdles faced, it's looking set to be a cracking race.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3014015)   #674
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
I was wondering if you were racing mtpanorama. Must be itching for the weekend.
Yeh cant wait. Car still isn't finished and I haven't driven it yet either. So if it gets finished it could be an interesting few laps getting used to a FWD car around the mount.

Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3014027)   #675
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeh cant wait. Car still isn't finished and I haven't driven it yet either. So if it gets finished it could be an interesting few laps getting used to a FWD car around the mount.
I hope it is only the sign writing that is unfinished and you are just being pedantic.