Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1416191)   #26
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please give us an update on Win's progress?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1416513)   #27
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doug Nye has said at the 'other site' that Win was at the Goodwood 'Trafalgar' party and seems exceptionally well now - even able to get onto his feet unaided and stand tall and straight for some time, but still has a long way to go. Great news.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1416557)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andrew, that really is phenominally good news, since all the earlier indications suggested he might be wheelchair bound. It may be a long way to go but equally clearly, it sounds that he is making excellent progress. Wonderful!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1417132)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brilliant news Andrew!
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1420861)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Win features in the 'Gearbox' section of the November (yes really - I received it yesterday!) issue of Octane, in which he picks his 'favourite things'.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1420936)   #31
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I met Win in the Revival "mess" this year, he was sitting with Graham Gauld. I have just asked Graham about him and he says "he can stand using his zimmer frame and is continuing to work at it. He is very determined but the whole thing still gets him down as you can imagine."
Old 23 Dec 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1489341)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I know Win has been in for the long haul but as it is 3 months since we heard anything, it would be good to hear from anyone in direct contact with him. I am aware that, quite understandably, he has his good and bad moments but also that he finds time to support others who are also suffering from severe injuries (see Willie Green thread). I would be grateful if anyone in direct contact with Win will pass on 10-Tenths continued best wishes and the hope that he is able to enjoy the forthcoming festivities despite both the discomfort and frustration.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1539781)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Following a suggestion from Andrew Kitson, I telephoned Win and spoke to him this evening. He had no idea who I was but listened when I explained that I was ringing on behalf of the website and he was quite prepared to discuss his condition and progress with me with great charm and courtesy. It is 2 and a half years since the operation and Win is realistic in his hopes for improvement. He knows that he will never walk properly again but does believe he will make further progress. He still has physio for 2-3 hours everyday and feels that he continues to grow stronger. He has been driving for well over a year using a vehicle fitted with hand controls, but he knows that he will never drive competitively again. He is ever hopeful that he will be able to appear at historic events, if not behind the wheel then in support of the meetings. He made it clear that he still wanted to be involved in the sport that has given him so much pleasure. Until the the goodwill wishes started coming in from all over the world, it hadn't occurred to him, how much pleasure he had actually been giving us at the same time. He also paid tribute to Jaguar who have been incredibly supportive during this extremely difficult time. I could but wish him well, told him that he was in our thoughts and expressed the hope that we would see him at some of the historic events this year.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1539793)   #34
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad to hear he is doing ok. Win was always a pleasure to watch and I am sure he will be a valueable asset to any part of Motor Sport that he would like to become involved in.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1540859)   #35
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update John, it sounds like the call was a welcome surprise for him. It is good to hear he is on the improve still, and has plenty of life left in him yet!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1540930)   #36
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope Win can get well enough to come to Australia and visit us.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1669265)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Willie Green met up with Win on Friday, at the Silverstone Classic. He reports that Win was using a zimmer frame and was in fine form.

The operation that led to Win's handicap took place about 3 years ago and whilst we all hope that he continues to make progress, I propose to 'unstick' this thread, now. No-one is going to forget about Win; his continued popularity and status is assured in the minds of those of us who were entertained by his skills both in contemporary series and, more recently, in historic racing. I'm sure that if any of our members meet with Win, they will convey are continued best wishes and support, and also update us here, which will bring this thread back to the top, as and when.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1753367)   #38
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the updates. Win's exploits in the Jag's and Holden's here in Aus are remembered fondly by many.

We'd love for him to get well enough to come for for a visit. Here's hopeing.