Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1702658)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTYS TOYS
Hi all am new to all this.I raced the Mark 1 Zodiac in St Marys Trophy race,had a few problems over the weekend but just beeing part of made it all worthwile.If anybody has any pictures i would love to see them.
Very warm welcome ST. It was great to see the Mk1 on Sunday. I'm pretty certain I've got one or two pics of you, but crave your patience as I'm trying to work through in race number order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
Truth is the CAA called it through as an airfield emergency, so therefore they took priority over the racing taking place. Presume there was something wrong with the plane, and not just a case of being too lazy to circle and wait.
Steve, it would be interesting to know what that emergency was! In fact the plane landed on the runway which most of the take offs and landings were made during the day, due to the wind direction. Whether it was really an emergency or not I guess we'll never know. I certainly saw it take off later on. Maybe running low on fuel?

Races 4 & 11 were the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy races for motorcycles which I didn't take any pics of. I'm afraid I tend to use the bike races as an opportunity to eat food etc. I did note that in Race 4, Wayne Gardner ran away from the field (he usually wins this event) and allegedly got some stick from the other riders for disappearing so rapidly. So for Race 11 he hung back and tried to get the front six or so together to create a 'show' for the spectators. The trouble was that having worked hard to achieve this, as soon as he upped the pace a bit, they all strung out behind him, again.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1702659)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can not refuse the demands of our Moderator, any way I am flushed with success, so here are a few from the Older Car events. I will put up more later as I don't want to look too conceited (conceited is OK But not too conceited)

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...al&media=image

What's a sub folder?

Pretty sure I something with the Zodiac, Sooty if so I'll pm you for where to send it/them.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1702671)   #28
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We just put our report online with a 250-shot slideshow:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...em.php&rid=117

I was thoroughly impressed with the event and it was most definitely worth the visit!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1702706)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great report Wouter. I'm afraid that some of my stuff will probably duplicate yours! I do think this was possibly the best Revival ever. There was a freshness to it that, in my view, reversed the trend of the last couple of years.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1702971)   #30
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
We just put our report online with a 250-shot slideshow:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...em.php&rid=117

I was thoroughly impressed with the event and it was most definitely worth the visit!
Thanks Wouter. Always impressed by your event coverage. Likewise to you John T.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1702989)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Following the motorcycles came the Phil Hill tribute with various cars that he had driven over the years, circulating the track, and then the practice for following day's TT race, by which time weather conditions had deteriorated further. By the time Race 5 (The Whitsun Trophy for sports racing prototypes 'of a type raced between 1963 and 1966') started conditions were pretty dreadful as depicted in the first picture below. Frank Sytner, who had been 'sin binned' for the 2005 event returned this year following major heart surgery and duly placed his T70 Spyder on pole and led from start to finish. He was chased very hard by Nick Whale in the McLaren M1B who managed to get to within 3 tenths of a second at the end. Here Frank is seen coming through Fordwater at the front of the pack on the first lap. My apologies for the fact that the Lola is blurred, but it does convey the conditions:-

Car no.11 was supposed to be a Ferrari 330P entered by David Piper, but was, in fact, a Lotus 30 entered by Classic Team Lotus and driven beautifully through the field to 5th place by David Leslie, seen here exiting Fordwater:-

Ray Bellm, charging towards St Mary's, on his way to 3rd in the GT40:-

The T70 Spyder of Stuart Graham looking the worst for wear after meeting the outside barriers. He admitted to driver error coming through Fordwater, and it was all the more unfortunate since it occurred on the last lap:-

Full results here:-
http://www.msttiming.com/result.asp?...d=goodwood.gif
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1703005)   #32
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doug Nye told me that Stuart was absolutely distraught about that shunt. Thankfully he is OK,however as Doug said he never crashes and Stuart does not know why he went off.

Some of mine:

Good to see Willie back in fine shape:

Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1703020)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
It was indeed very 'unStuartGrahamlike' if I can use that term. He didn't appear to be going that fast and the spin was initially (and very gracefully!) down the track. I think we all thought it would finish harmlessly and that he would continue safely. Unfortunately, he just caught the wet grass, and was a passenger from then on, as it was like ice and gave the inpression almost of accelerating the car backwards into the barriers, whereupon it flicked round and damaged the front as well. A great shame!

Good pics, Andrew. I particularly like the one of Carlos Monteverdi's Dino which nicely ties in with comments earlier in the thread. Not sure I'd have recognised Willie in that finery! Terrific to see though, considering the injuries he sustained just 12 months ago.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1703030)   #34
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yeah this supposedely was Graham's very first accident ever, which is a real shame indeed.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1703034)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome Sootys Toys, Glad you got out on Sunday, it didn't sound too healthy when you where fettling in the Paddock in the morning !

I have to make an honourable mention to one saloon driver who reported the wipers wheren't working . . . .on closer inspection, he didn't have any wipers, they'd fallen off
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1703039)   #36
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble

Yes very bad luck Simon, did you get my note? I tried to find you several times, maybe I should have tried the bar.
the combination of action on the track and stuff to drool over in the paddock meant very little time was spent by the car!! I did get you note thanks a lot -just sorry I wasnt able to entertain later - one day I might get over it!!!

I was there pretty much all day every day from Thursday and loved every minute of it. Saturdays racing was spectatular especially Sytner in the T70 given his recent operations...
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1703041)   #37
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Welcome Sootys Toys, Glad you got out on Sunday, it didn't sound too healthy when you where fettling in the Paddock in the morning !

I have to make an honourable mention to one saloon driver who reported the wipers wheren't working . . . .on closer inspection, he didn't have any wipers, they'd fallen off
Mr Bell you mean? He scored his first win at Goodwood in forty years!
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1703053)   #38
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A brilliant weekend. Despite the weather, it is still by far the greatest historic meeting. The cars just look so 'right' there, unlike at Silverstone.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1703062)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I admit I have been a critic but I am a convert! I think if you make the effort to dress the part and go into the paddock and see the attention to detail you then "get Goodwood". I for one will go again next year as spectator or if lucky enough as competitor
Old 6 Sep 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1703077)   #40
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Glad you enjoyed the weekend Simon, felt so sorry for you when commentator Bruce Jones informed us that you had pulled off! I thought your race was one of the weekend highlights, beautiful little cars in the right setting. No doubt in my mind that this race should be a regular feature although every other year is more likely I guess. Let's have all classes every year and make it a four day meeting!
Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1703102)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Mr Bell you mean? He scored his first win at Goodwood in forty years!
No WouterM its was an owner Driver.

on the Subject of the St Marys Trophy am I being a little harsh in sugggesting that Jim Woodley was a little selfish or out of order in continuing at a reasonable pace with no rear tyre, it was pretty obvious to me he was going to loose it at St Marys with no right rear tyre, and he caused a red flag which meant we missed what was a guaranteed Grand Finale ? ? ?
Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1703106)   #42
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simon,
I'm glad you got my note, I thought it might be nice for you to know that SOMEBODY reads your posts!
I managed to get a couple of shots of you in practice (that was lucky) so if you would like them let me have an e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Sooty whatsit!
I have a shot of each of the Zodiacs what number were you? I'll send pic if you e-mail me.

Come on John, say something nice about my latest shots!

Congratulations to all the other 'snappers' some really great pics, puts me in my place.

I agree Simon, to fully appreciate the occasion you need to enter into the spirit and fit-in properly with at least some semblance of dress that reflects the correct era. It does not take much effort to put on a shirt and tie with a sports coat, mine cost a couple of quid in a chartiy shop!
Go for it chaps and ladies.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1703154)   #43
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think anybody has mentioned the dice beteween the two Brabhams of Duncan Dayton and Bobby Rahal. The former won after Rahal had a spin.

The style of the FJ, F3, F2, F1 and Tasman Brabhams in the 1960s is wonderful. Arguably, they are the last beautiful single seaters before wings etc. came in.

Alan Brown
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1703163)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Alan,
I suppose it all depends on how old you are, personally I find most of the 60's stuff a good time to have lunch, they just don't do much for me atall. Very boring!
Give me the 50's Sports and GP cars anyday. They are Real Cars.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1703170)   #45
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
as I was working I didn't see much, but its always tin tops for me, although the D type, DBR2 type stuff is always good . . .anything with a bit of drift !
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1703192)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, I accept that my pictures aren't up to much, but on this occasion I can blame the weather (got to offer some sort of excuse) especially for the next race, Race 6, which was Part 1 of the St Mary's Trophy for production cars 'of a type that raced between 1950 and 1959'. The choice of words is particularly apposite here since of all the races this one is the one that in my view contains more 'Goodwood' specials than the others. All you guys who talk about how important it is to contribute to the atmosphere of the event by dressing in period, might like to ponder the performance of some of these saloons and whether their current performance is remotely 'in period'. I love them for what they are; as far as I am concerned it is the circuit itself, the cars and drivers that perform on it and the Spits overhead that create the atmosphere. I'm not greatly interested in some of the pageantry that accompanies it. I've never managed to find those rose-tinted glasses!

The driver line up for Race 6 was superb, but with a pole time well clear of the rest, Derek Bell in the Jaguar Mk1 looked a likely winner. Alongside him, he had the A35s of Jackie Oliver and Tony Jardine and behind, on the second row, the Jaguar Mk1 of Bobby Rahal and the Holden FX of Peter Brock. However with the weather playing havoc, all bets were off. At the start, Bell took an early lead but was mugged by the splendid Austin A105 Westminster driven by the equally splendid John Fitzpatrick, who had made a fabulous start from the third row. Fitz briefly drove away in the appalling conditions, whilst Bell had his hands full of a rampant Jardine with Brock trying to hang on, although he gradually dropped back. Jardine who was really flying got passed Bell and went after Fitzpatrick and completely unfazed by who he was up against, took the lead and started to edge away. Bell however, got into his stride and with some lovely controlled driving which took him passed Fitz, closed on Jardine and finally retook the lead that he had relinquished so early on in the race. These 3, in such diverse cars had provide a wonderful spectacle in dire conditions and just 1.5 seconds covered them at the end. Brock came in 4th in another excellent drive.

Jardine is already ahead as Bell starts to close Fitzpatrick down heading into the second part of St. Mary's:-

Almost surreal; Darren Manning appears to be emerging from a mist in the Peugeot 203, which, unfortunately, failed to finish:-

Alec Poole in the MG Magnette finished 12th; Barry Lee in the A95 Westminster got passed him to take 11th, whilst Sir Stirling Moss in the big MkVII Jaguar, recovered from an early spin to work up to 13th. In the distance the Morris Minor of 'Whizzo' Williams who finished 14th:-

Marshals salute the victors:-

Full results here:-
http://www.msttiming.com/result.asp?...d=goodwood.gif

Last edited by John Turner; 1 Oct 2006 at 17:16.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1703250)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
great report, and accurate John, I agree the 50's saloons are a little too over prepared to be historically correct, as impressive as they are. Top Hat have wisely stepped in to try and control things in a way, the main problem being there isn't any written history of period specification, ie no App K papers or anything similar. so its all down to period stories/tales, faded memories warped by booze and bungs !

It'll be interesting when we come to 60-66 saloons if they improve things there as thats another race where Goodwood specials come out to play, made all the more obvious by their total absence at any other meetings, at least, if correctly policed, there are period specs to be used in scrutineering.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1703291)   #48
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Good pics, Andrew. I particularly like the one of Carlos Monteverdi's Dino which nicely ties in with comments earlier in the thread.
If only all organisrs would follow the policies of Lord March and Steve Earle, Mr. Monteverde would not have a place to race anywhere pretty soon....
Old 6 Sep 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1703297)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Adrian Newey needs a 'word in his shell Like' I had a conversation in the paddock with half a dozen drivers who are convinced he'll kill himself or someone else pretty soon if he doesn't cool off a bit
Old 6 Sep 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1703302)   #50
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Adrian Newey needs a 'word in his shell Like' I had a conversation in the paddock with half a dozen drivers who are convinced he'll kill himself or someone else pretty soon if he doesn't cool off a bit
Bill Binnie was driving just behind him when he had his major shunt at the Le Mans Classic. His (BB's) forehead was covered with questionmarks....