Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1750017)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Thanks Jeremy, good posts.

and Me Terence !!! I uput a lot of effort into making a non competitive car competitive without cheating.

for example having pistons tailor made at 81.79mm because maximum over bore in my HOmologation papers says 1mm, even at 1.2mm I can't stretch to the cheaper option of using std 85.5mm twin cam pistons !!! the difference is negligible but I know most people ignore it and run at 1558-1598 instead of 1498. or 1529cc.

rules is rules, theyre not difficult to understand.
Sorry Zef, it was,nt intentional! I,m just sick and tired of these people who purposely bend the rules, if they cant read perhaps they could have them read out to them!!!!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1750027)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
""The more equal the cars,the better the drivers become,you find the advantages in the driving ,not by cheating.""This was once said to me byPeter Riley,Ex-works BMC Driver etc etc.How true it is!.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1750032)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
In an ideal world Terence !

I had a fantastic race with a lemon yellow TR3 at SPa. it was all down to driving as the cars where very evenly matched, thats what I love and why I go racing, I hasten to add we both kept our own paint to ourselves ;-)
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1750036)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
But I also advise that we know where 3 more equally scruffy ones are
still at the factory ?
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1750040)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
In an ideal world Terence !

I had a fantastic race with a lemon yellow TR3 at SPa. it was all down to driving as the cars where very evenly matched, thats what I love and why I go racing, I hasten to add we both kept our own paint to ourselves ;-)
Its the sort of racing that eventually brings back spectators, and we get more enjoyment from it, everybodys happy!![Is your season over now Zef?]
Old 26 Oct 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1750066)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
yes it is, engine and gearbox are being rebuilt (precautionary measures) I'm also working on a new head and valve combination to try and get better flow and higher compression . . . to be followed by potentially, a new cam profile.

I'll be cleaning it and fitting interior bits in the vain hope of getting the nod next year as well !
Old 26 Oct 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1750125)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
yes it is, engine and gearbox are being rebuilt (precautionary measures) I'm also working on a new head and valve combination to try and get better flow and higher compression . . . to be followed by potentially, a new cam profile.

I'll be cleaning it and fitting interior bits in the vain hope of getting the nod next year as well !
I take it the interior bits will be "just enough".
Old 26 Oct 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1750290)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Oh yes, I have bare frame seats with just enough spring wire to support the covers, which have had all wadding etc removed to bare vinyl, and 0.8mm thick ally door card with the original coers to go back on.

can't scrimp on the wool underlay, and shag pile carpets though

the car looks so much more authentic like that I think, and the weight gain is about 5kg . . .or a god weekends food and wine !!!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1750373)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Oh yes, I have bare frame seats with just enough spring wire to support the covers, which have had all wadding etc removed to bare vinyl, and 0.8mm thick ally door card with the original coers to go back on.

can't scrimp on the wool underlay, and shag pile carpets though

the car looks so much more authentic like that I think, and the weight gain is about 5kg . . .or a god weekends food and wine !!!
Swhen are you holding the car warming party ? If I send a patern ,will you make me some door cards,PLEASE.

Last edited by terence; 26 Oct 2006 at 19:38.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1750896)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Terence its easy, you can cut 0.8mm Ally with decent scissors . . . peel the vinyl off your old ones and refit to the ally.

not the most enjoyable job, but its not difficult

I'm not sure what it says in App K about it
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1750910)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wouldn't you be better off using carbon fibre?
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1750922)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Now your just being silly Peter.Be-sides,the hardtop is already in carbon!

Last edited by terence; 27 Oct 2006 at 10:51.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1750924)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terry's discovered the smileys
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1750930)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1750933)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I rest my case.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1750952)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I rest my case.
I know ,its making your arm ache.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1750992)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Enough joviality for now ,Zef ,is your car a GT?The reason I ask is because I do have a bit of a soft spot for them,one of my first cars.I even used one on Le Jog in04,Great fun !!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1751152)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Yes it is Trence . . .the purists choice . . or the poor dumb idiots, depending on your view point !

I have a few of them, one, when restored will be a fast road car and I'm thinking (if) I mature well enough I might enjoy something like Le Jog, and its a tough enough car I think
Old 27 Oct 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1751211)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Second things first Terry- the maximum overbore for a homologated car is 1.2 mm. For the avoidance of all doubts the entire Appendix K is avaialble on the FIA website-www.fia.com and follow the Historic Sport links.
Simple really the organisers don't cheat, the officials don't cheat so I wonder where the problem lies ?
so on that basis what is the legal size for an MGB engine? I see various engine sizes banded about - 1860, 1950 and even 2100 (which must be illegal!!)
out of interest what is the homogolated weight? I am trying to get a handle asto why that one in the 6 Hour was so damn quick!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1751342)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Firstly to Zef, you DO need to be mature to do le jog, you dont need sleep as much as when your younger!! What kind of power you got ,175 felt really good,enough to keep 3LoCos behind us. Simon ,there are 2 legal engine sizes the first being 81mm giving 1843cc ,then we go to 82mm giving 1860cc. Mine is 1843 ,144bhp @ the flywheel .I think you,ll find that9 0% of the Bs are openly using 1950s.the legal over bore is the same for all of us @60thou.Usally we see 155/160 in a 1950this of course takes an 80th O/B.The homologated wieght is 848kg-lord knows how the works got this ,the best I can manage is853kg, hope this is of some use and not to boring.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1751565)   #46
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Firstly to Zef, you DO need to be mature to do le jog, you dont need sleep as much as when your younger!! What kind of power you got ,175 felt really good,enough to keep 3LoCos behind us. Simon ,there are 2 legal engine sizes the first being 81mm giving 1843cc ,then we go to 82mm giving 1860cc. Mine is 1843 ,144bhp @ the flywheel .I think you,ll find that9 0% of the Bs are openly using 1950s.the legal over bore is the same for all of us @60thou.Usally we see 155/160 in a 1950this of course takes an 80th O/B.The homologated wieght is 848kg-lord knows how the works got this ,the best I can manage is853kg, hope this is of some use and not to boring.
if i count dutch that would be somewhere near 1920. what a thing about all these FIA. got some tube, got some ally sheet , start building a Shelby daytona coupe tomorrow, thats a GT isn;t it?
Old 28 Oct 2006, 04:54 (Ref:1751682)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Terry,

Those wires are pretty heavy. The Minilites would certanly knock a few KGs off.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1751727)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hi Esper, It depends on your take on the regs,60 does only give ,near as damm it 1860.Ihope your not suggesting building a brand new car from scratch! you would have a terrible job trying to prove the provenence Peter, the wires are heavyin compareson to the Minilights,but when I built my car ,it was built to full works spec[guidence from Barry],the works never used them on a "B".They did not come into use till 67, that was on the "C",same as the front brake cooling ducts in the front vallence,Jeremy once ticked my papers for that,I then changed back to a steel panel,judging the cars at spa, I wasted time and money!!
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1751729)   #49
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Terry,

Those wires are pretty heavy. The Minilites would certanly knock a few KGs off.
That would involve changing the rear axle and the front hubs,a wire wheel axle is wider than bolt on.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1751731)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Incidently, anyone tryed to access the FIA Regs pages,I gave up!!