Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1992203)   #51
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Just thinking, when was the last time a BTCC race was red flagged ? I'm thinking Brands Hatch, October 2001, when the heavens opened ?
No, it happened at both Silverstone and Donington Park last year, and at Thruxton in 2003.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1992210)   #52
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM
I should feed the guide dog and get off to bed then!

I thought it was very poor, even by BTCC standards.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:38 (Ref:1992213)   #53
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It has to be said... it was pretty pathetic. Sorry, Hazard.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1992218)   #54
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Mat Jackson showed 'ludicrous aggression', did he? So now, a driver can't make a genuine attempt to overtake at the start. It was an accident, he didn't do it deliberately, yes it ended with a major accident but that's motor racing.
If you watch the footage of the start of the accident, Matt Jackson takes 4 wheels over the rumble strip down paddock hill.

As persistant offenders are penalised for doing this, and due to the outcome of this manouver, I can only assume that this played some part in his penalty!

Also, if you watch closely, at the start of the race, he drove down the grass on the way to Paddock hill bend!

Two drivers taken to hospital...

Ludicrous aggression? Well yes.. In those conditions, I can see why...
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1992223)   #55
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
No, it happened at both Silverstone and Donington Park last year, and at Thruxton in 2003.
And was there also one at Brands in 2005?
Old 19 Aug 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1992224)   #56
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aunt Sally, that explanation makes the reasons for Jackson's penalty more transparent.

I'm thinking too a poor grid for Knockhill. Sure I read that Eoin Murray said the budget was tight and he might manage Knockhill, but I doubt it after today. I know we can't help if teams don't have the budget, but you enter the BTCC, you know all the tracks you are going.

(Had forgotten about them sceptic !)
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1992232)   #57
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just want to say GREAT coverage by ITV. I was very suprised at getting the renaults and bmws and it helped fill my afternoon nicely. We criticise ITV alot, but good effort !

With regards to racing, very messy and incident stricken races, but i loved it

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1992241)   #58
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's a good set of photo's on the btcc.net gallery section, of the 11 car pile up as it happened.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1992246)   #59
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Quote:
I'm thinking too a poor grid for Knockhill. Sure I read that Eoin Murray said the budget was tight and he might manage Knockhill, but I doubt it after today. I know we can't help if teams don't have the budget, but you enter the BTCC, you know all the tracks you are going.
Redshoes has already picked-up on this.. interesting points here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Hate to say it but can't help but think today's events are going to have a serious impact on the grid at Knockhill. Pocklington seems to have disapeared, I recall reading somewhere that Kerry was planning to miss the next round, Leason and Blanckley have already bailed. I'd already heard rumours of another team considering giving Knockill a miss and that was before today's carnage.

Neal's car is probably written off, although I would expect the team to be back with something.
Ferrier's isn't much better - if it needs a re-shell I doubt we'll see him back this year.
Allison's need some major surgery, and not for the first time this year. What budget is left?
Murray's is fixable but does he have the parts and/or budget?
Stockton must wondering if it's really worth the effort.
Leggate's was repaired for the third race (well for one corner at least)
Can't recall seeing Pinkney's car being dragged back but suspect that need more than a bottle of T-Cut and a roll of tank tape.
Not just Pinkney's car.. I understand he was pretty knocked-about in the smash. He may not be fit for Knockhill!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1992262)   #60
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pinkney : If they can fix the car, they could get a stand-in driver probably if DP can't drive it.

GOT DENNINGED : He's running the car on around 50p so I'm not sure if he will be back.

Nerf'Em Neal : I imagine Team Dynamics are the sort of outfit who have built a spare car.

Leggate : No real risk of her being absent.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1992265)   #61
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
9 of the 11...youch.
Attached Thumbnails
BrandsHatch_190907_Race1_01.jpg  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1992267)   #62
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
Not just Pinkney's car.. I understand he was pretty knocked-about in the smash. He may not be fit for Knockhill!
Good point. I'd heard Neal was discharged but nothing has been said about Pinkney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Nerf'Em Neal : I imagine Team Dynamics are the sort of outfit who have built a spare car.
There's only 2 race cars, no spare.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1992270)   #63
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I am watching the Setanta coverage, nearly the end of race two now and the tone really was set at turn one, race one.

Mat Jackson took the inspired decision to put all four wheels onto the painted kerbs at the exit of Paddock. A brilliant piece of driving I'm sure we all agree, what with the kerb being rather slippery in the wet conditions. Yvan Muller would have struggled to pull that off.

I mean, it's really a demolition derby since that moment. Abysmal stuff!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1992276)   #64
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The crash really came with a lot of bad luck. How many times have we seen cars spin like Jackson did today only to be hit by one or two guys? Mat was quite hot of the line but the whole carnage could have been avoided had Turner given him some more room. But I have to say, I think most of the carnage was down to bad luck - had things played out a bit different only Jackson would have been off and Neal would have had a dent on the Civic's nose!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1992280)   #65
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Good point. I'd heard Neal was discharged but nothing has been said about Pinkney.

His fiance has posted on the BTCC site that he's OK, just bruised etc, but discharged from hospital.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1992282)   #66
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
His fiance has posted on the BTCC site that he's OK, just bruised etc, but discharged from hospital.
He got up and walked away from the car, climbed into the ambulance himself, he seemed okay - got himself a cheer. Didn't spot Pinkney depart.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:02 (Ref:1992283)   #67
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Wow, looks insane, especially after seeing the video. Pinkney definitely got the worst off.

Last edited by Hazard; 19 Aug 2007 at 21:05. Reason: Link removed. Sorry, copyrighted material issue with ITV video
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1992287)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ok, just seen that. She also says that they won't be at Knockhill due to the amount of work needed on the car, so cross that one off the list already.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1992293)   #69
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Ok, just seen that. She also says that they won't be at Knockhill due to the amount of work needed on the car, so cross that one off the list already.
Hmmm...well, we do have the Robershaw Racing Integra to make up the difference!

Actually - leading back to that 'how many Integra's question' we had earlier, if Dynamics still have one of them left, what's to stop them running that for Matt? Or borrowing back the Sibsport one (best case, I know it's unlikely).

We did also have the GR Asia Leon added this weekend which helps a bit, with Pocklington, Leason & Blanckley all withdrawn.

Still - there should be more than 20 cars, hardly the worst the BTCC's had in the last 3 years.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1992296)   #70
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, maybe Pinkney, Allison, Murray and the others can pool their money togeather, buy three cars and have rotating seats for the last six heats - just like JSM and their Alfas in 2001!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:12 (Ref:1992298)   #71
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I saw Matt getting out his dad's car out back of the pits just before the start of the third race.

Pinkney was supposed to have been kept in for observations, but David being David didn't stay much longer. I phoned him on my way home. He managed to escape the hospital at 6pm. He was sore and wasn't even thinking about Knockhill yet!
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1992300)   #72
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Actually - leading back to that 'how many Integra's question' we had earlier, if Dynamics still have one of them left,
Rumour is... They have sold it...
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1992314)   #73
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just got back, not had chance to watch the TV back yet, will do that tomorrow. I still can't quite get over what I witnessed today.

Where the driving standard really that bad today, I think we maybe being a little hasher here. From what I saw of the race 1 crash from the top of Druids Jackson went wide and everything else was a chain reaction. Then there is Race 2 did Mr Plato getting a pentley for his move on Chilton?
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1992318)   #74
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Actually - leading back to that 'how many Integra's question' we had earlier, if Dynamics still have one of them left, what's to stop them running that for Matt?
I did wonder that myself, especially as Matt has no real hope of winning the title now. Still mathematically possible I know but very unlikely.

However if the rumours are true they don't have any left to run, so they'd have to borrow one. Thinking back it wouldn't be the first time that has happened - TD had to borrow an old Primera for the last round some years back (2000 from memory) after Matt crashed his usual race car.
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1992323)   #75
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Well, if they aren't running Neal in the Integra, I'd assume Shedden won't be in a Civic next round, haha.