Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Oct 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3932118)   #26
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to his FB, MGD won his class.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Oct 2019, 21:05 (Ref:3932136)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You've better… From your knowledge do you think we could enter two or three MX-5 1600, not htp'ed but safety compliant in your series and in the Dutch YCC next year? Nice fellows, looking for relaxed ambiance…
Dont forget the action cam if you can please!
Loks like MX5 would fit into Modern Classics series...
https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/series
an email or phone call to the club office would confirm, and make you feel welcome... they are good people.
Videos to be uploaded to Youtube after I get home.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 01:40 (Ref:3932180)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done David . 1st in class . What a driver !!!!
Old 6 Oct 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3932213)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for info David .
Now tell us more, what kind of modifications since Copenhagen, how was your pit stop, are you happy to bring laurels just before winter…… Are you playing: Les gens heureux n'ont pas d'histoire?
Old 6 Oct 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3932214)   #30
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done David.
Good to see a 944 do well. How did the “Magnificent 7” cars get on?
An MX5 Mk1 is eligible for both the Future Classics and Modern Classic Series. I remember one in particular going extremely well on individual throttle bodies. Also turbo charged Mk1s are eligible for Modern Classics, I think, as the BBR conversion was counted as a factory authorised car sold through the main dealer network.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3932216)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting you say about 944. I have always thought they would make a great race car . Never raced one but have driven plenty on the road .
Old 6 Oct 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3932217)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Interesting you say about 944. I have always thought they would make a great race car . Never raced one but have driven plenty on the road .
The best handling race car I have ever driven, bar none, was my 924S (basically a narrow body 944!). The 944 Turbo was a close second in the handling stakes but the turbo lag made it a bit trickier sometimes!
The problem with the n/a 924S and 944 was that there were no tuning parts for the engine. Porsche, and others, concentrated on the (inferior) 911 (a triumph of marketing over engineering logic!!!).

The only 944 homologated was the 220 bhp early 944 Turbo, too, (Group B, I think) so no 944 is really eligible or competitive for international historic competition. A very great shame.

Now, if I could afford a 924 Carrera GT...........

Last edited by andy97; 6 Oct 2019 at 07:36.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3932223)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Now, if I could afford a 924 Carrera GT...........
At the risk of repetition and derailing the thread, I’ve owned 2 944 S2s and a (late) 924S, and now have a 968 Sport. And of course there was ‘Tango’, the 924 race car. They are all without doubt about the best balanced cars ever, and I’d happily own this, which races in PA CER.......
Attached Thumbnails
48ADF550-3BDF-4C24-9E72-319A0D466D88.jpeg  
Old 6 Oct 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3932231)   #34
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
At the risk of repetition and derailing the thread, I’ve owned 2 944 S2s and a (late) 924S, and now have a 968 Sport. And of course there was ‘Tango’, the 924 race car. They are all without doubt about the best balanced cars ever, and I’d happily own this, which races in PA CER.......
A bit jealous of the 968 Sport... always liked them.
One for sale no reserve coming up at auction in a week or so.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1162492
Old 6 Oct 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3932238)   #35
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Lovely 924 GTR

Wish I had kept my 944T road car. Sold it for £6500. Kept the Quattro, though, so if one had to go it was the right decision.

Had the chance to buy a Cat D 968 Sport about 5 years ago for similar money, and wish I had despite the insurance status.
Old 6 Oct 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3932240)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Road or track, I do love the 951. Agreed about the turbo lag but with some electronic help this can be dramatically improved. The perfect chassis balance is not really easy to cope with on the wet probably the opinion of an average Sunday driver tho…

Thanks a lot Andy, didn't know about the BBR conversion to be available through the dealer network. Unfortunately if we come with a batch, it will be for fun only, they are fully compliant with the national regulation. Peu importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse!

Now lets see how David will manage to add another win to his fantastic weekend! Go Dave', beat them all!
Old 6 Oct 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3932280)   #37
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
David: what a weekend you had! Congrats!
Best lap for the '44, bad attitude for the Mustang overtaking during SC!
Old 6 Oct 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3932284)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done David!
Old 7 Oct 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3932517)   #39
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Road or track, I do love the 951. Agreed about the turbo lag but with some electronic help this can be dramatically improved. The perfect chassis balance is not really easy to cope with on the wet probably the opinion of an average Sunday driver tho…

Thanks a lot Andy, didn't know about the BBR conversion to be available through the dealer network. Unfortunately if we come with a batch, it will be for fun only, they are fully compliant with the national regulation. Peu importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse!

Now lets see how David will manage to add another win to his fantastic weekend! Go Dave', beat them all!
Gerard, if you do want to race the MX5s with CSCC next year it would be worth you contacting the CSCC office and having a chat with them about the possibility. You may be able to race with them at Spa too.

Contact details are on here
https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/

Speak to David or Hugo.

CSCC always have a stand at the Autosport Show so you could meet them there, too, or i could introduce you, if you are attending.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3932525)   #40
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Best race weekend I've had in a long time :-) Saturday was dry and my win was at the expense of a mate who had his transponder fail. He got a good slingshot on me out of the final corner and was certainly a nose in front at the line but the manual timekeepers gave it to me by 11 thousandths! Sunday was very wet early on but a drying line appeared for our midday race. Oil from the previous race made grip very variable and tricky but I had a good start and really enjoyed the conditions. To add to the fun it started drizzling again with 10 minutes to go. I pitted early then there was a safety car period while a stranded Elan was removed, which helped me but held others up so on paper the win was easy. I suppose it's weekends like this that keep us going back for more even though they may not happen very often.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:03 (Ref:3932526)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andy, words are missing to say thank you. Yes, you got the picture Spa is the main target. We are pure amateurs, no big wallet, no big engines but some of us have enough experience to achieve acceptable lap times.
Would be really great to meet you again at the show. What day would you prefer, I see we have the choice from the 9th to 12th of January.
I had a look to a SuperBike race at Donington this weekend. What a track you have!
PS:my talk with Ric Wood will be shorter this time. I'll buy the tea!
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3932529)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We could hit the 145 bhp mark for 900 kilos. We can comply with almost any tyre regulation provided we find the right size, rims are 15". At the moment we must use Avon ZV7. May be this sounds like a good and compliant MG B?
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3932530)   #43
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Andy, words are missing to say thank you. Yes, you got the picture Spa is the main target. We are pure amateurs, no big wallet, no big engines but some of us have enough experience to achieve acceptable lap times.
Would be really great to meet you again at the show. What day would you prefer, I see we have the choice from the 9th to 12th of January.
I had a look to a SuperBike race at Donington this weekend. What a track you have!
PS:my talk with Ric Wood will be shorter this time. I'll buy the tea!
Yes, Donington Park is awesome, particularly the national layout, rather than the GP circuit, more flowing. I live one mile away. I am racing there on 27 Oct in the Caterham.

Spa is always very popular for CSCC members and usually theyask for members to race with the club twice before being eligible for a Spa entry. Thats why i suggest you phone the CSCC office and talk it through.

145 bhp in an MX5 sounds good. Tyres are any List 1A,B or C so tend to be Avon ZZR/S or Yoko A048s or Toyo 888s

Not sure what day i will go to Autosport show, it depends on work, but probably the Friday at a guess. But early to make firm plans though!
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3932536)   #44
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Again and again, MG David, well done. What you report about you competitor's transponder was obvious from the live timing. Luck is part of the game, you got what you deserved! Un bon souvenir de France, just to keep you warm during winter.

Andy, Yoko's are fine even if they are a little bit heavy. Predictable, affordable and rather convenient in the wet if reproved. First mail just sent to the club.

Last edited by Gerard C; 7 Oct 2019 at 18:37.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3932540)   #45
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

Andy, Yoko's are fine even if they are a little bit heavy. Predictable, affordable and rather convenient in the wet if regrooved.
Not sure we are allowed to re-groove, Gerard. Most will use a new set of tyres in damp conditions. I use ZZS on the Caterham in the damp or Avon CR28s in very wet conditions.
Old 7 Oct 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3932542)   #46
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Got the picture, thanks. Nothing's impossible!
Old 7 Oct 2019, 19:50 (Ref:3932546)   #47
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Good to see a 944 do well.
An MX5 Mk1 is eligible for both the Future Classics and Modern Classic Series. I remember one in particular going extremely well on individual throttle bodies. Also turbo charged Mk1s are eligible for Modern Classics, I think, as the BBR conversion was counted as a factory authorised car sold through the main dealer network.

944s normally do well - which is a bit galling for us as we used to run a 944 Turbo in Future Classics, and now find our Alfa 75 V6 in the same class as all the 944s

We also have an MX5 that frequently runs with us in Future Classics - not overpowered but it handles!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 05:59 (Ref:3932598)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Richard what displacement do you use with the V6? 3 l? I remember a bloke building a kind of jig just for his Alfa's rear axle, seems easy to have some toe in… Not mentioning all the tubes in the engine bay to keep everything in one piece! Yes the MX chassis is well balanced even when using real road tires and following the stupid 100 mm rule.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3932745)   #49
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andy, Hugo sent me a nice reply to my email. See U at Autosport.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3932746)   #50
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Andy, Hugo sent me a nice reply to my email. See U at Autosport.
Good news. Hope to meet at the show.