Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3925757)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry to be a pain, but if I get one of these: https://www.industrialextensionleads...or-10520-p.asp about 10m long I should be ok for my stuff?
Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3925763)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but if I get one of these: https://www.industrialextensionleads...or-10520-p.asp about 10m long I should be ok for my stuff?
Yup. If you are missing anything, or need a different / longer lead, along with most other truckers I keep a box of different plugs and adaptors.....
Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3925766)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks, as you can see I'm trying to wean myself off Ken Clarke's raceday services since he'll be concentrating on his Rovers in the MRL races. He'll be my co driver.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3925769)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thanks, as you can see I'm trying to wean myself off Ken Clarke's raceday services since he'll be concentrating on his Rovers in the MRL races. He'll be my co driver.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3925798)   #55
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Peter I'll be there with the Gray's E-type on Wednesday afternoon, probably in F1 garages. If you need a pair of hands just shout....
Is the car okay after its off at Brands the other week?

Maybe going to this one . Depends how busy my dad is.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3925887)   #56
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt it about time to have the annual debate about which route to take?!?!?

Last couple of years I have gone via Lille, but google says it is now full of roadworks and suggests going north on the E313 route. My motorhome is somewhat under powered, so flat dual carriageways are good! The last bit from Liege is a killer

On a different note, I am giving a lift out to Spa to a young chap over from NZ. He is heading to Munich to drink beer on the sunday. Anyone heading that way, or heading near a railway station in broadly the right direction at some point on sunday?

thanks

Geraint
Old 5 Sep 2019, 05:48 (Ref:3925924)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
Isnt it about time to have the annual debate about which route to take?!?!?

Last couple of years I have gone via Lille, but google says it is now full of roadworks and suggests going north on the E313 route. My motorhome is somewhat under powered, so flat dual carriageways are good! The last bit from Liege is a killer

On a different note, I am giving a lift out to Spa to a young chap over from NZ. He is heading to Munich to drink beer on the sunday. Anyone heading that way, or heading near a railway station in broadly the right direction at some point on sunday?

thanks Geraint.
Can’t help you on the lift, Geraint, I’m afraid.

The bottleneck travelling in May was where the E40 and E42 join at Liege, so whichever route was chosen resulted in the same slow section. Looks like it’s eased now, but I didn’t do the Summer Classic, so not up to date! Even with Brussels traffic, the E40 route shows as quicker, but both require negotiating the steep hills between Liege and circuit. Even if you go North via Antwerp on the A313 you still have the hills! I should be arriving from the south and west via E25 from Luxembourg, which will be interesting, as last section on the N66 to Stavelot will be unfamiliar......
Old 5 Sep 2019, 06:01 (Ref:3925925)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've always found the Lille route to be more convenient and only once gone "out" via Brussels. But coming back on a Sunday I've come via Brussels. Not sure about a Monday morning run though.

The worst jams I've suffered going out were just after the border when there were road works and an accident. Added about an hour to the journey. Other than that I haven't had many issues.

Back in the day, when we went Dover-Ostend the journey was much easier.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3925957)   #59
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Is the car okay after its off at Brands the other week?

It's fine, thanks; just an excursion into the kitty litter.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3926331)   #60
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've always found the Lille route to be more convenient and only once gone "out" via Brussels. But coming back on a Sunday I've come via Brussels. Not sure about a Monday morning run though.

The worst jams I've suffered going out were just after the border when there were road works and an accident. Added about an hour to the journey. Other than that I haven't had many issues.

Back in the day, when we went Dover-Ostend the journey was much easier.

Has anyone got a good route from Hoek of Holland (Rotterdam) to Spa?

I did it in the summer and made the mistake of going south via Antwerp etc and have never seen so many lorries on the road at one time. Maybe going via Eindhoven will steer me away from truck city?
Old 7 Sep 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3926340)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomracer View Post

I did it in the summer and made the mistake of going south via Antwerp etc and have never seen so many lorries on the road at one time. Maybe going via Eindhoven will steer me away from truck city?
I’ve never done Spa from The Hook, but mileages are virtually the same via either of the cities you mention. No idea how busy Eindhoven gets, without constant traffic flow checking on google maps or other similar app.

Was going to suggest you get a truck, then you won’t feel left out while circumnavigating Antwerp!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3926352)   #62
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree would certainly feel at home, but maybe a tad extravagant for one race meeting!
I suppose that all of Europes sea freight moves via either Rotterdam or Antwerp so hardly surprising the volume of artics.

Will stick with trusty 4x4 & trailer, and annoy most of Belgium (oops, and Holland) by going just a little bit faster than the thousands of trucks.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3926726)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
As usual nobody on here mentions the Pre War Sports Car race on Friday.
It’s a decent entry although I am not in favour of the VSCC type specials being allowed to run.
Usual entry in 6 hours to see if we can get past seven o clock
Usually in the Pizza Resturant by 8.30 .At least you get a table!
Back via Brussels on Sunday and it’s usually the day they close major cities to bikes and pedestrians only.
If anyone wants a passenger on Thursday I am available as am getting to old to be arsed to drive over!
Lots of old posters on the thread.Hallo Mr Hall.!
Old 8 Sep 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3926731)   #64
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomracer View Post

I did it once, 3 or 4 years ago (also for the 6-hours event) from Rotterdam Port via the Eindhoven and Maastricht route - very pleasant journey, no problems. In the years before and after that I'd flown into Amsterdam and again driven via Eindhoven / Maastricht - again no problems.

I think two years running there was a lot of construction work driving through the Eindhoven area but that was maybe 10-15 mins in stop / start traffic, nothing much.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 01:01 (Ref:3927508)   #65
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thuth beknown I will miss the Marcos with Richard Evens this year . That sure is a fast car . Still the best event of the year .
First time Ive missed the meeting since 2001 and only second time to miss 6 Hours since 2008 a trip to Angouleme being the other. Some remarkably quick other Marcoses out this year. See you at Goodwood Iain
Old 15 Sep 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3928089)   #66
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 6 Hours Entry List on page.

I imagine updated

http://www.spasixhours.com/wp-conten...1_SSH_2019.pdf
Old 15 Sep 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3928092)   #67
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Next question
How many real GT40’s
Or how many built north of Essex
Old 15 Sep 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3928098)   #68
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Next question
How many real GT40’s
Or how many built north of Essex
Probably none.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3928101)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
None of which? Originals or those built North of Essex?
Old 15 Sep 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3928117)   #70
Willmaz223
Veteran

Non originals
Old 15 Sep 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3928119)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmmm. Ok.
Old 15 Sep 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3928127)   #72
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We figured there were possibly 2/3 last year but a so called authority told us that was rubbish in that there was only one !

Remember the year we were asked to get involved with a German GT40 and most of papers were photocopied and pasted.

The diligent and brilliant scrut worked that out!

Got to say that now he posting again!
Old 15 Sep 2019, 16:07 (Ref:3928134)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3928350)   #74
Willmaz223
Veteran

MRL Entries on website.

http://www.spasixhours.com/index.php...gages/?lang=en
Old 18 Sep 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3928658)   #75
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its become a GT40 race but i still think that a TVR Griffiths 400 could win. lots of power and very light, great little car, shame the prices have gone through the roof.