Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2934692)   #376
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Here's a novel idea, Audi NA work out a semi-works deal for a full season ALMS entry.
Novel not really. Audi NA had that suggested to them this year, and told AG to go stuff it. Golf and Superbowl ads have more ROI in their opinion.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2934718)   #377
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Novel not really. Audi NA had that suggested to them this year, and told AG to go stuff it. Golf and Superbowl ads have more ROI in their opinion.
In which case there can be no complaints when events and series are lost, with emerging markets filling the void.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2934720)   #378
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
In which case there can be no complaints when events and series are lost, with emerging markets filling the void.
Disagree
Old 2 Aug 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2935148)   #379
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Looks like BMW might not be gone after 2011, the new head of motorsport Jens Marquardt recently said in an interview that BMW is thinking about a further commitment to the ILMC/the WEC, all depending on the rules and whether the car will still be competitive.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2935163)   #380
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Duke_Toaster, so much of Europe is under snow October-March that an off-season-season isn't really workable. And Interlagos in February would be the opposite extreme, as that's high summer there (hot and humid as Hell). And funnily enough, Australian V8 Supercars don't even see fit to run according to the Southern Hemisphere seasons, but instead, they run to our racing season calendar too.

Here's my theoretical calendar:
Late February: Suzuka 1000km
Spring Break Weekend: Sebring 12 Hours
Mid April: Interlagos 6 Hours
Early May: Monza 1000km
Mid June: Le Mans 24 Hours
Mid July: Spa 1000km
Late August: Silverstone 1000km
Early October: Petit Le Mans
Early November: Zhuhai 6 Hours

This covers the major markets, avoids any F1 conflicts by several weeks (or months), and leaves a minimum of 3 weeks gap between all rounds, which should make logistics of travel as painless as it really can be. And as an added bonus, this schedule avoids weather extremes in the various regions.

I know that it's 9 rounds I've put up there, but nothing in there is that outlandish, and a proper championship NEEDS to maintain presence throughout the season, which I don't think just 7 rounds can quite do that.

Interesting and kind of funny thing, I found highlights to the 1984 Sandown 1000km posted up on YouTube the other week.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2935193)   #381
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Late February: Suzuka 1000km
That's not doable, February's daily mean temperature in the area is 5°C (40°F)
Old 3 Aug 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2935205)   #382
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This is one area where an average doesn't exactly tell us a whole lot in practical terms. The temperature at the start of the month could be around 20, while around the end, it could be up to 60 or so. Holding a 1000km race in 50-60 degrees weather would hardly be unprecedented; it's happened a fair number of times at Spa and the Nurburgring.

What I find really absurd and annoying is the teams talking about just 3 races before LM being too much. Transport was NOT as straight-forward in the '60s, '70s, and '80s for something of this scale, yet the old WSC managed a much greater density of races than even my schedule calls for. So, as far as I'm concerned, there's no compelling reason for why things are seemingly less doable now.

I suppose having just a manufacturers title for prototypes could help. Then again, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lancia, Mercedes-Benz, etc all took their works teams/drivers to Sebring, the Carrera, Buenos Aires, and Caracas back in the 1950s! Team travel sure as heck is NOT as difficult or time-consuming now as it was then, so what's the excuse now?
Old 3 Aug 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2935418)   #383
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Looks like BMW might not be gone after 2011, the new head of motorsport Jens Marquardt recently said in an interview that BMW is thinking about a further commitment to the ILMC/the WEC, all depending on the rules and whether the car will still be competitive.
If so, then this is great news, and I doubt the car wont be competitive next year. Thank you Jens Marquardt!
Old 4 Aug 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2935614)   #384
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
That's not doable, February's daily mean temperature in the area is 5°C (40°F)
The temperature in January at Daytona could be anywhere from below 0 C to up to about 20 C and those races went off just fine over the years. People can cope and cars are adjustable.

DK
Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2935634)   #385
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
The temperature in January at Daytona could be anywhere from below 0 C to up to about 20 C and those races went off just fine over the years. People can cope and cars are adjustable.
But I guess it doesn't snow at Daytona that often, does it?
Setting a race date for a month when there's a good chance that the circuit would be covered in snow would be too risky for a World Championship.

Daytona Beach (Jan) vs. Suzuka, Mie (Feb):
avg. high (F): 70 vs. 49
avg. low (F): 47 vs. 33
rain (in): 3.1 vs. 2.5
snow (in): 0? vs. 3.1
avg. snowy days: 0? vs. 6.1

... can't really compare.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 06:00 (Ref:2935656)   #386
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
If you're going by the entire prefecture, the more mountainous regions could esily skew the numbers.

Suzuka itself (the town by which the circuit is located) is right on the coast. The low altitude and moderating influence of the sea, I should think, would make the likelihood of snow at the track itself quite low. Think of how far north Seattle is, but with its low altitude and inlet from the Pacific, it almost never gets snow.

We're not exactly known for our harsh winters here in south-central Kansas (even compared to other parts of the state), and I wouldn't be surprised if we average that much, or more, snow in February.

Really, 3.1in is NOT that much snow, especially spread over an entire month. And 49 for the average high means it could easily be downright comfortable late in the month.

Back to the WEC, I'm just trying to work within the relative constraints of the problem. All the events are apparently going to be rather spaced out from one another, regardless of continent. Suzuka is the logical circuit for such an event. Any Japanese event is going to be near either end of the calender, it would appear. There are two other circuits I would seriously consider for this (Fuji and Autopolis). However, one has been mutilated and is always prone to precipitation, the other is virtually unknown, and they're both at distinctly higher altitudes than is Suzuka.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2935663)   #387
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Interlagos already a done deal for the SoAm race? No chance of Potrero de los Funes? There's a sportscar circuit if I ever saw one.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2935939)   #388
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
No argument from me on that count.

Potrero de los Funes has to be pretty much the best new Grade 1 or 2 circuit to come out of the woodwork since the '70s really. There have been a handful of very good circuits since, but I'm not sure any are quite up there with that Argentine jewel. The other top picks for me would be Brno, Autopolis, Sachsenring, and Algarve.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2935954)   #389
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
It' a nice track but Peugeot is much keener to go racing in Brazil I guess, it's one of their most important markets.

Same goes for Audi I think, Brazil is just a more interesting market for the manufacturers overall.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2936061)   #390
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would prefer Fuji to Suzuka (just take out a couple of the unnecessary twists that F1 used).
Old 5 Aug 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2936182)   #391
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres my take on the calendar:

February: Bathurst 12 Hours
March: Korea 1000km (Korean GP track)
April: Monza 1000km
May: Spa 1000km
June: Le Mans 24
July: Watkins Glen 6 Hours
August: Nurburgring 1000km
September: Silverstone 1000km
October: Buddh 1000km (Indian GP track)
October: Fuji 1000km
November: Mil Milhas (Interlagos, 1000 miles)

I purposely left off Sebring and Petit, this is because when the ALMS recovers and the WEC grows its going to be difficult to accomodate both series at those venues.

The races on March/October would be non-clashing with PLM/Sebring in order to allow drivers to do both events.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 5 Aug 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2936208)   #392
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post

I purposely left off Sebring and Petit, this is because when the ALMS recovers and the WEC grows its going to be difficult to accomodate both series at those venues.

The races on March/October would be non-clashing with PLM/Sebring in order to allow drivers to do both events.
They won't race at Watkins Glen. ISC owns the track and they are the sister company of NASCAR. NASCAR owns Grand Am, so they aren't going to let WEC, ALMS, LMS, etc race at any of their tracks, because they would make Grand AM look bad (well even worse than they already are).

Same goes for Daytona.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2936214)   #393
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And Bathurst is a definite no-no 'cause current prototypes can't run on FIA Grade 3 tracks
Old 6 Aug 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2936369)   #394
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Thanks for the feedback

Substitute Bathurst for Philip Island - If they can run MotoGP there then LMPs shouldn't be a problem

The July Date in the USA can be filled by Laguna Seca, we know that LMPs can run there
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Aug 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2936374)   #395
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
They won't race at Watkins Glen. ISC owns the track and they are the sister company of NASCAR. NASCAR owns Grand Am, so they aren't going to let WEC, ALMS, LMS, etc race at any of their tracks, because they would make Grand AM look bad (well even worse than they already are).

Same goes for Daytona.
I am actually not quite sure about that... in a weird Macchivellian way it would probably make sense for the Frances to let WEC race at the Glen, if just to give the finger to ALMS...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2936376)   #396
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post

plese no tilken tracks also in the WEC .-. maybe the only intersting "tilken" track to run is yas marina, but more for merchandising/economic reasons than racing.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2936380)   #397
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Back to the WEC, I'm just trying to work within the relative constraints of the problem. All the events are apparently going to be rather spaced out from one another, regardless of continent. Suzuka is the logical circuit for such an event. Any Japanese event is going to be near either end of the calender, it would appear. There are two other circuits I would seriously consider for this (Fuji and Autopolis). However, one has been mutilated and is always prone to precipitation, the other is virtually unknown, and they're both at distinctly higher altitudes than is Suzuka.
Oddly enough, pretty much the only major international car race held at Autopolis was the Japanese World Sportscar Championship round in '91.
As I remember, isn't the big downside with it is that it's pretty much in the back of beyond, and difficult to get to?
Old 6 Aug 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2936419)   #398
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I am actually not quite sure about that... in a weird Macchivellian way it would probably make sense for the Frances to let WEC race at the Glen, if just to give the finger to ALMS...
that would be hillarious!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2936426)   #399
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
plese no tilken tracks also in the WEC .-. maybe the only intersting "tilken" track to run is yas marina, but more for merchandising/economic reasons than racing.
Yas Marina is one of the worst Tilke tracks in existence.

Korea on the other hand, with its drainage problems solved this year (hopefully) is rather a good track. The first sector is about straightline speed, the second about aero grip and the third is about mechanical grip. Different cars will excel in those three different areas so the track has the potential to produce some good racing. South Korea also has more of an established car industry than China.

India is a bit of an unknown quantity as a track but it is a major market for carmakers and it looks like it could be a good tracks with a nice amount of elevation change, like all new tracks I believe it should be given a chance.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2936635)   #400
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Not all Tilke tracks are bad, I always liked Sepang for example. That would be a pretty sweet track for LMPs to race on, it's no interesting market for the manufacturers though.