Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Jun 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1626710)   #1
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problems with Hollinger Gearboxes??

Is there a problem with these so called Bulletproof gearboxes? Especially 4th gear??
Todd Kelly problems with 3 gearboxes in 2 race meetings.
Mark Winterbottom in race 3 today lost 4th gear late in the race.
Cromley thought there might be more to the story as to why they have failed.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1626732)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Are they all using the Hollinger internals though? some teams run Modena gearsets, I've heard that couple use gearsets out of Europe (Quaife or X-Trac) as well as using custom links/selectors in the boxes. Without knowing how the internals are built and assembled, it is difficult to diagnose the causes. It may just be that due to the way that the 3-4 change is aligned through neutral in the HRT cars, combined with Todds seating position, he puts more load onto 4th when he changes gear.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1626740)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it about time Sequential gearshifts were bought in. That would solve a lot of the problems.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1626753)   #4
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not a fan of sequential gear shifting in motorsport. It will become more processional racing because there is no chance of miss-shifts and the like. Makes less things for the driver to do and to worry about.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1626759)   #5
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
More to the problem?? Obviously.
Kelly should ask Skaife what's going on.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1626779)   #6
billybob
Rookie

Cuba
over the moon
billybob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm picking there is nothing wrong with the gear sets, I think more than likely the promblem is how the gear cut was set up not allowing enough time for the driver to change gears as changing from 3rd to 4th takes longer as it is across the gate, on saying that that wasn't kelly's problem he lifted the gear lever out of the selector whist it was still in gear if he had selected an other gear he would have blown the gearbox up, there is a spring on the lever to stop you from doing this but some drivers are just to aggresive. This box needs this spring because to select reverse you have to lift the gearlever and put it in 5th to get reverse.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1626780)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Isn't it about time Sequential gearshifts were bought in. That would solve a lot of the problems.
I agree. When HSVDT had their chat with Garth thing on their website (was a chatroom with Tander and had a webcam of him) I asked him his opinion of a motor bike style gearbox and he said the H gear is still good but I think a sequential gearbox would be good step in cost cutting.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1626791)   #8
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
I'm picking there is nothing wrong with the gear sets, I think more than likely the promblem is how the gear cut was set up not allowing enough time for the driver to change gears as changing from 3rd to 4th takes longer as it is across the gate,
Actually, most manual gearbox'es have 3-4 in the same plane, including the hollinger boxes used in V8SC's. 3-4 is also usually the quickest shift in the box as it's a straight pull though the center gate.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1626854)   #9
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I was going nuts for a second there..
Old 4 Jun 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1626873)   #10
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The only problem with the gearboxes, is which ones go into Skaifes car and which one goes into Todds car.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1627325)   #11
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NC Monaro (of Bathurst 24hr fame) ran a V8SC Hollinger six speed with a sequential shifter.

The drivers thought very highly of it.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1627427)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Are they all using the Hollinger internals though? some teams run Modena gearsets, I've heard that couple use gearsets out of Europe (Quaife or X-Trac) as well as using custom links/selectors in the boxes. Without knowing how the internals are built and assembled, it is difficult to diagnose the causes. It may just be that due to the way that the 3-4 change is aligned through neutral in the HRT cars, combined with Todds seating position, he puts more load onto 4th when he changes gear.
It is odd that the gearboxes in the #22 car keep failing...

There are many schools of thought around about the failures... some suggest it is driver-related (like Rusty's magic double gear pull that nobody else in the world can manage except him!) and doing something odd to the gearbox...

... while another view from somewhere else suggested that perhaps something is not perfectly aligned in the #22 car and the gearbox isnt sitting perfectly in connection with the shift mechanism... so that there is load on the box itself all the time that is causing gears to 'lean' on each other more than the design constraints....

If it were both HRT cars with the failures, you could easily conclude that there was some gear hotrodding that wasnt working properly... but the team boss has no issue with his....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1628501)   #13
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not really into the V8's, but the technical aspects like this interest me...

So Holinger (one L) boxes are controlled... but the gears are free (Modena do them too).. is that correct? I know ratios are controlled too... but the gear shape and cut and that of the dog rings and selectors is free... yes?

I went to Holinger today.... Second time I've been, I had a guided tour last time... fascinating place. 80% of production is exported too....
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1628529)   #14
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
FF s,

I believe that is correct to a point, in that the dimensions of the gearbox are specified (remember the hoohaa at Puke in 04 when LP and another team rocked up with the new RD6 Holinger gearboxes, that didn't fit the dimensions) including some internal specs like bearing design and location, gear ratio and engagement method and a few other technical items. I believe that it is possible that a team could either build a complete gearbox inhouse and use it, or have another company like X-Trac make it, but that buying goods "off the shelf" from Holinger and Modena et al works out to be a more efficient way of doing so.

With the export of Holinger parts, I find it funny how many people are willing to spend money for gearsets supposedly made in Japan, just because they have a Japanese brand name on them, and will not even think about using a Holinger set, when in all likelyhood, they are a Holinger gearset rebadged.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1628929)   #15
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
I'm picking there is nothing wrong with the gear sets, I think more than likely the promblem is how the gear cut was set up not allowing enough time for the driver to change gears as changing from 3rd to 4th takes longer as it is across the gate, on saying that that wasn't kelly's problem he lifted the gear lever out of the selector whist it was still in gear if he had selected an other gear he would have blown the gearbox up, there is a spring on the lever to stop you from doing this but some drivers are just to aggresive. This box needs this spring because to select reverse you have to lift the gearlever and put it in 5th to get reverse.
From an engineering point of view.....billybob has stated the reason. He knows it, I know it, and the teams know it.
QED
Old 7 Jun 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1629075)   #16
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If it were both HRT cars with the failures, you could easily conclude that there was some gear hotrodding that wasnt working properly... but the team boss has no issue with his....
You are more than likely correct, but looking at it the other way, it is not unfathomable that any newly developed gear box internals would only be put in one of the two cars first time out. Not to say that they are treating Todd as a test mule, but there is always risk in racing new bits, which with the testing restrictions, can't always be track tested before they are raced.

Hence, you wouldn't run both cars unless you knew you had almost assured reliability. And if you do have three failures in that first meeting............ you would certainly have those bits out of the car for Winton............. and presto no failures.

I would be very suprised if the Winterbottom problem has anything to do with the HRT one also..........
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1629794)   #17
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Story has the minimum gear weights being set at a weight a lot lower than when they leave the modena or hollinger factory mainly being a result of the HRT/HMS
machine shop machining out way more weight than nature ever intended.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1630298)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Definitely not. Would you have them using ABS too?

Fascinating discussion I need to learn more about transmissions.