Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 24 Jul 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2930506)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which kart to buy

my brother in law is racing next year and has a 2010 crg dark night fr125 rotax with 2011 head,
as i have previously done many car trackdays and used to race he wanted to know if i fancied buying a kart to go testing with him. as he is the only person i know who does karting i have no idea what i should be looking at, same as him or something different.
i prob wont be racing it, at least not for 12 months and am just going to use it for fun, budget not really a problem as track car project being sold to fund it.
can anyone point us in the right directions please.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2930768)   #2
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could always go for an Eaykart senior if you wanted something other than a rotax. http://www.easykart.co.uk/easykart-senior.htm
Though I believe you would probably be outpaced by the rotax, the speeds are fairly similar. You could test for the year and then run in the main championsip if you fancied.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2930841)   #3
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I currently race easykart and its a good class, but if your mate has a rotax id recommend getting one of them too.

Chassis wise depending on your budget id choose whatever brand is supported the most at your local track as this will help on spares and you may not have to wait a few weeks for parts to arrive.

Regarding easykart vs rotax, the easykart is more fun to drive but does lack in pace compared to it. I also feel the easykart is alot better engine to work on and to actually look at.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2930903)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If budget isn't a problem, then go for a Max the same as your friend. In terms of specifically what to buy, here are some hints that I hope are helpful.

Engine.
Rotax changed the way they manufacture the FR125 motor from model year 2009 onwards, using CNC machining technology. It means that performance is more consistent. They were also fitted with an updated clutch that gives less trouble than its predecessor. So if you can afford it, go for a post 2009 motor. Something with a very low number of hours on it would be best and do not be taken in by people telling you the motor's won this that or the other. It's meaningless.

Chassis.
If you ask 10 people to tell you what they believe is the best chassis, you'll get 10 different answers ! Tonykart, and their various derivatives, are the most popular and 'some say' they work best on the new Mojo tyres. I use Gillard equipment myself and I really like it. In your first year, any relatively modern chassis [i.e. post 2008] will be absolutely fine for you. As with the engine, something with a low number of hours and/or not much use would be best.

If you can get a retirement sale of some sort, that's better again because you'll get all the bits and bobs, tools etc..., as a job lot and that will be cheaper than sourcing them individually.

Check out UK Karting [www.karting.co.uk] or eBay for potential acquisitions.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2931891)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be worth getting a CRG the same, cut down on the spares you take then? Let me know if you need to source one, my pal races them for the works.