Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Jan 2015, 14:02 (Ref:3489183)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Franck Montagny positive drug test

Montagny suspended after testing positive for cocaine.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...rugs-test.html
Old 1 Jan 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3489194)   #2
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a real shame. I hope that this doesn't end his career. Does cocaine count as a performance enhancing drug?
Old 1 Jan 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3489197)   #3
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, that is a shame, i always liked Franck and thought he deserved far more of a chance in F1, you would have to say his career prospects look bleak after this though.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3489200)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't know why it would affect his career other than change direction slightly, it hasn't done for others in the past (admittedly i can only think of one example who's been caught by tests).

bit of a silly boy though. not one to judge on lifestyle choices, but if you're daft enough to make lifestyle choices that clash directly with your career then there's something awry that runs far deeper than just wanting to have a good night out.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3489202)   #5
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'recent FIA anti-doping penalties indicate that a lengthy ban from competition is highly likely'
Old 1 Jan 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3489205)   #6
Maverick248
Rookie

France
Paris
Maverick248 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very surprised by this news, it's hard to understand how he can do this.

That can compromise his future in Formula E, he probably has a moral clause on his contract with Andretti.
I don't know how Canal+ will react after that and if he will be still working on TV for the next F1 season.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 17:27 (Ref:3489216)   #7
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It reminds me some cases on the past: Gabriele Varano in Italian F3 1999, Tomas Enge who lost his 2002 F3000 title for this. In both cases, they returned, even to formula racing. Enge, for instance, finished succesfully his F3000 career with a podium in Monza 2004. Despite don't know for his present nowadays...
Old 1 Jan 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3489225)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, I think Enge had an understandable excuse. Still hampered him. Cocaine is fairly indefensible from the perspective of governing bodies and it'll certainly be received like a lead balloon in America. He'll have trouble getting into America, still less to race there.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3489262)   #9
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
It reminds me some cases on the past: Gabriele Varano in Italian F3 1999, Tomas Enge who lost his 2002 F3000 title for this. In both cases, they returned, even to formula racing. Enge, for instance, finished succesfully his F3000 career with a podium in Monza 2004. Despite don't know for his present nowadays...

It's a different world now. If you consider how strong the FIA have been on the "think before you drive" message, and how recklessly Franck drove in Malaysia, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lifetime ban in FIA events.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3489280)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well, I think Enge had an understandable excuse. Still hampered him
I think that Enge's 2002 excuse did result in his somewhat lenient penalty (i.e. only disqualification from the relevant F3000 race - Hungary, if memory serves). The implication of this was that he was unable to overhaul Bourdais is the championship standings so there were some wider ramifications.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3489292)   #11
olev
Rookie

Estonia
olev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On top of that, Enge was caught again in 2012 and got suspended for 18 month. I think he's been driving some rounds in the GT open this year.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3489294)   #12
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
It's a different world now. If you consider how strong the FIA have been on the "think before you drive" message, and how recklessly Franck drove in Malaysia, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lifetime ban in FIA events.
Personally, with all things considered, Sergio Canamasas deserves his lifetime ban more than Montagny...
Old 1 Jan 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3489296)   #13
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enge wasn't disqualified from the race until after the season end though, so he was effectively stripped of the championship and gifted third.

I guess that the governing body does need to be seen to crack down on this sort of thing, but if this isn't performance enhancing then personally I wouldn't hand out a career ending penalty. It's disproportionate with drug use in pretty much any other profession.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3489298)   #14
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cocaine unlikely to help auto racing, so I pretty useless to give any penalties.
Old 1 Jan 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3489307)   #15
Paddy OBrien
Rookie

Paddy OBrien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cocaine and amphetamines have been shown to improve reaction times somewhat dramatically. Lots of F1 drivers have been linked to their use during competition, like Hunt and the Schumacher brothers(in their drink bottle). Pre-war drivers often took "powders" during events. As evidenced by Tony Stewarts sprint car incident with Ward Jr, pot is common in the short track scene and I have seen almost and entire grid of 100cc long track karters partake right before the start, was a great race too. I think it is a lot more common than most in racing believe.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3489348)   #16
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
He's very lucky he wasn't caught with any on him in either Malaysia or China as he'd be potentially facing the death penalty.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 02:09 (Ref:3489373)   #17
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot say I have any sympathy for the guy. He was not particularly popular when he raced for Peugeot in the ILMC.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 02:16 (Ref:3489381)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He could've had a fair career in the states being hooked up with champions Andretti. That's all gone now. He'll be lucky to reinvent himself as competitive elder statesman, like Montermini, in European sportscars a number of years down the line - presuming the whole experience hasn't completely alienated him from the sport. I'm not overly sympathetic but it's sad to see good talent getting squandered.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3489399)   #19
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
He could've had a fair career in the states being hooked up with champions Andretti. That's all gone now. He'll be lucky to reinvent himself as competitive elder statesman, like Montermini, in European sportscars a number of years down the line - presuming the whole experience hasn't completely alienated him from the sport. I'm not overly sympathetic but it's sad to see good talent getting squandered.
There are loads of good and young talent around. You slip and you disappear. Nobody forced him to take what he took.

I would feel a bit more sympathetic if an illness or accident occurred to him, but he took drugs voluntarily and that's a bad example to set and give the sport a bad image.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 03:34 (Ref:3489402)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
There are loads of good and young talent around. You slip and you disappear. Nobody forced him to take what he took.

I would feel a bit more sympathetic if an illness or accident occurred to him, but he took drugs voluntarily and that's a bad example to set and give the sport a bad image.
I have watched, followed and taken an interest in his career on and off, seen him in battles and engaged with his achievements. For me he is something of a stand out figure. So, yes, it's with a certain amount of sadness that I see a recognisable driver removed from the stage on the back of his own unnecessary conduct. The man seems more of a reckless fool than a hardened criminal, so I'm sympathetic - which shouldn't be mistaken as absolution. You can work away and have whatever attitude you like - but that's my take on this.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3489501)   #21
Planty
Rookie

Czech Republic
Czech Republic
Planty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olev View Post
On top of that, Enge was caught again in 2012 and got suspended for 18 month. I think he's been driving some rounds in the GT open this year.
He was young...smoke a pot on a party...his mistake. Second time, his test was positive because of medications he is taking. FIA knew that, despite that he was banned. But without medications, his health would decrease. Montagny´s case is different - there was no reason for him to take it, he knew he is breaking rules...thus i think he will be banned permanently.

BTW..Enge was one of the busiest drivers this year...raced back to back weekends in multiple champs with Reiter´s Gallardo and Camaro in USA, Germany, Italy, Thailand, and other international series.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 13:53 (Ref:3489508)   #22
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yet another reason why he will never drive for Dr. Ulrich.

(Petit LeManer's may understand)
Old 2 Jan 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3489563)   #23
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Really sad that it has come to this.I still think his Sunday morning stint in the Peugeot at Le Mans a few years ago was one of the great drives of recent times.Such a shame that he couldn't build a career on top of it and now it looks likely that he and top line motorsport will be parted.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3489564)   #24
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know cocaine improve dramatically reaction times, but I think it's crazy to take a drug that cause tachycardia and hypertension when your body is already subject to an extreme tachycardia and hypertension (i.e. racing).. The risk of death is very high..
Old 3 Jan 2015, 02:13 (Ref:3489646)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OBrien View Post
Cocaine and amphetamines have been shown to improve reaction times somewhat dramatically. Lots of F1 drivers have been linked to their use during competition, like Hunt and the Schumacher brothers(in their drink bottle). Pre-war drivers often took "powders" during events. As evidenced by Tony Stewarts sprint car incident with Ward Jr, pot is common in the short track scene and I have seen almost and entire grid of 100cc long track karters partake right before the start, was a great race too. I think it is a lot more common than most in racing believe.
Oh come on!

"The short-term physiological effects of cocaine use include constricted blood vessels; dilated pupils; and increased body temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure. Large amounts of cocaine may intensify the user's high but can also lead to bizarre, erratic, and violent behavior. Some cocaine users report feelings of restlessness, irritability, anxiety, panic, and paranoia. Users may also experience tremors, vertigo, and muscle twitches. There also can be severe medical complications associated with cocaine abuse. Some of the most frequent are cardiovascular effects, including disturbances in heart rhythm and heart attacks; neurological effects, including strokes, seizures, headaches, and coma; and gastrointestinal complications, including abdominal pain and nausea. In rare instances, sudden death can occur on the first use of cocaine or unexpectedly thereafter. Cocaine-related deaths are often a result of cardiac arrest or seizures followed by respiratory arrest."

Exactly what you would need to drive a racing car, one of these drugs where the user feels like a hero but his performance in fact suffers.

Not good for elite athletes!

Time our masters legalised all the rubbish that morons sniff up their noses and added the revenues to the tax base!
The War on Drugs seems to be working about as well as the wars on everything else, and about as well as prohibition worked too!