Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:803464)   #1
oswald900
Rookie

oswald900 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 Rumours

Heard 2 rumours on the weekend.

1:Ford Performance has brought Tratts franchise and will be running the car with Tratt in it still as well as Toll backing.

2:China has fallen through and the V8 Supercars are heading back to Phillip Island.

If anyone can shed some light onto any of these it would be great.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:37 (Ref:803474)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The first one is more likely than not, except its rumoured to be for 2 cars, not one.

And the 2nd one has been spoken about by doomsdayers since the announcement... there is a powerplay here inside TEGA and AVESCO... there will be few winners
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:55 (Ref:803487)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way for it to happen is for 2 x level 2 franchises as i see it. Maybe the Imrie one or Romano or they have confidence for the Morris camp to win it's court case.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:49 (Ref:803517)   #4
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On item 2 lets hope commmon sence prevails I still can't see the reason or how they expect to get a following in China.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 10:35 (Ref:803544)   #5
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second one I think has been exaggerated from the $hitfight that is happening between Avesco/SEL and the Chinese Corp, who were first given the job as promoters. There are now different ones, and people are jumping up and down about money etc etc.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 12:37 (Ref:803632)   #6
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe that Phillip Island has as much to do with Avesco as people are making out.
IMHO I think it may have something to do with CAMS and safety issues.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 14:32 (Ref:803774)   #7
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the V8's might have a bigger following than people would like to believe. I did a presentation at uni for marketing (the power of merchandising, HRT to be specific, obvious choice I know ) to a class of about 50 people, 90% internationals from Asia, and at the end all they wanted to know about was the race in China! A couple of them had even heard of Skaifey from when he was racing Nissans!

And Hybrid, I always thought PI needed a safety review as well, but I don't think it was THE reason it was dropped. The crowds just weren't there compared to other tracks. I still think they should have considered moving the 500 back to the Island to make it a drawcard event rather than just another round
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:14 (Ref:804155)   #8
pete55
Veteran

So does the crowd figures mean Eastern Creek is on the way out as well because they were disapointing as well. Philip Island can draw big crowds, look at the MotoGP and Superbikes. Maybe it has more to do with the product AVESCO are selling and perhaps the prices charged for it and also the value for money of the services offered.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:15 (Ref:804157)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AVESCO Events are here to stay it seems, watch out other circuit promotoers, TC is going to do you out of a job....
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:29 (Ref:804178)   #10
pete55
Veteran

I guess this means Big Head is going to run all street circuits or races for rogue circuit promotors eh GTR.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:32 (Ref:804184)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I woudl say more likely than not.... depends how much TEGA considers this to be an issue...
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:33 (Ref:804189)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More street circuits?

I hope not...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:47 (Ref:804201)   #13
pete55
Veteran

That will be the end of other classes or motorsport in this country unless some wise promotor comes in with a good act and runs on permanent circuits. I know for one you will never get me to a street circuit so TC won't be getting my money
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:13 (Ref:804221)   #14
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The end for other classes? I seriously doubt that. In fact, it could end up making them stronger as it becomes harder and less attractive to run as a support to an AVESCO event. Street circuits means less available track time for scheduling and therefore less supports. So where do they go? DO you really think they would all just give up and go away?

Besides, it's fairly well known that the existing street meets are kept afloat by willing governments looking for tourist revenue. What happens when street races become a common occurance? Will Joe Public stll flock to them? Or will they become a public nuisance?

The beginning of the end for TC? I think so. He has already shown his penchant with the China fiasco for overshooting the mark. As a wise man once said "A good man's gotta know his limitations." His brand of big entertainment company politics coupled to commercial pressure from a certain TV network is wearing thin on the industry.
Motorsport is based on "seat of the pants" entreprenuers and does not respond well to beaurucratic behemoths (e.g. F1, CART, BTCC, Reynard) which have a habit of imploding at the first sign of trouble. Avesco has already become one such behemoth.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the show.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:17 (Ref:804224)   #15
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC will go wo wherever he will make more money. Unfortunately that will mean China and nor Phillip Isl. Unless all fails with the organisers. He doesnt care about permanent circuits and the experience they provide for up and coming drivers. Look at Thexton (Just give TC the$$$). The Creek would draw alot more if you could cook on your BBQ and BYO...
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:23 (Ref:804230)   #16
pete55
Veteran

I would hardly call the Eastern Creek final a sucess. If that's all TC has to offer it won't be long and it will be all over. I think his idea of entertainment for the fans is way off the mark.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:31 (Ref:804240)   #17
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
And a #%&* Support category Pete55, except for the Appendix Js.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:38 (Ref:804246)   #18
pete55
Veteran

Yeah, about the only decent support category they have.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:50 (Ref:804255)   #19
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
Formula Fords should be with every V8 supercar meeting.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 03:58 (Ref:804359)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW- whats the go with daytime fireworks?
Old 5 Dec 2003, 04:25 (Ref:804367)   #21
pete55
Veteran

Don't daytime fireworks excite you crash? lol
Old 5 Dec 2003, 04:32 (Ref:804370)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They didn't make much of an impact on the TV, just noise and puffs of smoke.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 04:57 (Ref:804375)   #23
pete55
Veteran

Sounds like a TC special event then.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 05:02 (Ref:804376)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it was anti-aircraft fire to keep the channel 7 chopper away i could understand...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 08:26 (Ref:804489)   #25
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
So does the crowd figures mean Eastern Creek is on the way out as well because they were disapointing as well. Philip Island can draw big crowds, look at the MotoGP and Superbikes. Maybe it has more to do with the product AVESCO are selling and perhaps the prices charged for it and also the value for money of the services offered.
But if you think about it, the bikes only really come once a year and so there's only one chance to see them. THe V8's though, have three rounds in Victoria, plus the GP event, so naturally people are going to pick the best circuits to go to which are most comfortable, closest etc. I know I'd rather go to Sandown than freeze my boobs off at the Island. It's not so much about the product the V8's offer, it's the frequency. That's why I said move the 500 there, make it a drawcard round that only happens once a year so people would want to go.

And yes I was disappointed with the crowd at EC as well, thought it would be much bigger than it was, especially considering the facilities are so much better than Perth!