Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Dec 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4088239)   #451
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There was a clear failure of research and evaluation here by whomever sorts out Mercedes F1's marketing and sponsorship deals. I'm sure a simple focus group to assess whether or not to see if Kingspan would have aligned with Mercedes F1's core values and principles would have at least raised some eyebrows.

It was a questionable deal to strike at a questionable time; especially for a British based team. It would have been reasonable if they were already present on the car but this appears to be a badly timed new deal. It would have also been more acceptable if it was any other building firm and not one so highly associated with Grenfell

As someone with a Marketing background this had all the elements of a failure of insight and lack of correct evaluation.

That said, I didn't like how the press tried to implicate Hamilton in the whole ordeal last weekend. The deal was likely struck by a bunch of Marketing Executives in posh suits that he has never met.

Last edited by Beau2; 11 Dec 2021 at 00:27.
Old 11 Dec 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4088292)   #452
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that comes with Lewis daring to speak out about other issues and upsetting Telegraph readers.
Old 12 Dec 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4088436)   #453
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Channelling Kimi: Bwoah.

So Mercedes decided not to use any of their development tokens for the 2021 season. Which means their not inconsiderable design, aero, engineering and development teams will have been working flat out on the 2022 car.

That should have the other teams, mostly, very worried indeed.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 08:04 (Ref:4090228)   #454
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Sir Lewis decides to retire, or take a sebattical, after the farce of Abu Dhabi, who do you expect Mercedes will sign as a replacement.

I don't think George Russell is the person to lead the team.
Perhaps Mercedes try to get Vettel from Aston Martin, or make a big money move to get Lando Norris from McLaren, especially as McLaren are seriously sort of funds.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4090243)   #455
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I do wonder is Lewis is almost scared of not being a F1 driver, having done if for half his life? The other senior drivers all have families and a life outside the sport but for all Lewis's "causes" he hasn't found a place to settle. How could do so much for diversity and encouraging youngsters into the sport and technology if he had the time.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 10:15 (Ref:4090248)   #456
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There's no obvious to candidate to replace Lewis at this time, if he does decide to leave. Most top drivers are contracted elsewhere and would they really want to call Bottas back?
Old 17 Dec 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4090264)   #457
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Channelling Kimi: Bwoah.

So Mercedes decided not to use any of their development tokens for the 2021 season. Which means their not inconsiderable design, aero, engineering and development teams will have been working flat out on the 2022 car.

That should have the other teams, mostly, very worried indeed.
Everything I have read about the relative resources the different teams have dedicated to 2022 suggests Mercedes advantage next year will be similar to 2014.I hope not.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4090266)   #458
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There's no obvious to candidate to replace Lewis at this time, if he does decide to leave. Most top drivers are contracted elsewhere and would they really want to call Bottas back?
They could pay off Williams and bring in Albon.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 14:27 (Ref:4090290)   #459
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
If Sir Lewis decides to retire, or take a sebattical, after the farce of Abu Dhabi, who do you expect Mercedes will sign as a replacement.

I don't think George Russell is the person to lead the team.
Perhaps Mercedes try to get Vettel from Aston Martin, or make a big money move to get Lando Norris from McLaren, especially as McLaren are seriously sort of funds.

He won't retire, or take a sabbatical because the farce at Abu Dhabi. Throughout this season when things gave gone against him, he has come back even more determined than ever and there's still that 8th WDC to win.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4090291)   #460
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
nyck de vries disagrees with that statement.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4090295)   #461
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd buy out Gasly from his contract. His Red Bull career is going no where because they clearly don't want him in the top team. He needs to do a Sainz and go elsewhere.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4090331)   #462
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I do wonder is Lewis is almost scared of not being a F1 driver, having done if for half his life? The other senior drivers all have families and a life outside the sport but for all Lewis's "causes" he hasn't found a place to settle. How could do so much for diversity and encouraging youngsters into the sport and technology if he had the time.
I think he'd have gone if he got the 8th in all honesty. I am not sure the new cars will be all that exciting for the drivers and can't imagine he is that keen to share the track with the young headcases for too long.

I actually don't think he will find it that difficult to walk away in the end.

The new FIA president is already upset with him not attending their little party, so maybe a race ban for 2022 will bring that decision forward a year or two...
Old 17 Dec 2021, 17:51 (Ref:4090332)   #463
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I think he'd have gone if he got the 8th in all honesty. I am not sure the new cars will be all that exciting for the drivers and can't imagine he is that keen to share the track with the young headcases for too long.

I think he will walk away if he doesn't get the 8th WDC next season.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4090334)   #464
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Agreed.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4090335)   #465
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don’t see anything over the last few days that really suggests anything one way or the other.

However the long seasons over many years and the BS that goes with it must take its toll. Like it did with Kimi.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 18:51 (Ref:4090340)   #466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think he will walk away if he doesn't get the 8th WDC next season.
Yes, that I agree with. In fact, I think it's more likely that he'll walk away if he does. New record(s) set. Nothing more to achieve.

Quote:

The new FIA president is already upset with him not attending their little party, so maybe a race ban for 2022 will bring that decision forward a year or two...
After the shambles in the final race that wasn't of the drivers' doing, they wouldn't dare.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 18:57 (Ref:4090345)   #467
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The rules state that ‘ANY’ competitor in the top 3 must attend the FIA Gala…

As we found out in Abu Dhabi though, ‘ANY’ does not mean ‘ALL’.

The FIA wouldn’t dare penalise Lewis after their little howler
Old 17 Dec 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4090346)   #468
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
The rules state that ‘ANY’ competitor in the top 3 must attend the FIA Gala…

As we found out in Abu Dhabi though, ‘ANY’ does not mean ‘ALL’.

The FIA wouldn’t dare penalise Lewis after their little howler
I know you're joking, but if you'd like the rules -

"The drivers finishing first, second and third in the championship must be present at the annual FIA Prize giving ceremony"

Lewis didn't finish first, second AND third. He only finished second. Since you cannot finish first, second AND third, nobody needs to go. You can only finish first, second OR third (or below).

Seems to me that Lewis has obeyed the rules as they are written.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4090347)   #469
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I do like the quote from the new FIA President regarding Hamilton's absence (my bolding) https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/su...rules/6886492/

Quote:
One of Sulayem's first responsibilities since taking over will be to judge whether or not Hamilton's absence from the event goes against the regulations.

Speaking about the situation in his first official press conference at president, Sulayem said: "At the end of the day, rules are rules.

"So we are going to look into the side of where the technical rules are there to be employed and was he in breach? I have to look into it."
Did Lewis take Masi's lead in interpreting the rules on attending?
Old 17 Dec 2021, 19:21 (Ref:4090351)   #470
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Sulayem from Dubai is used to rule with absolute power so life under him at FIA could be interesting.
The rally people are so much tougher than most other people in the sport but more straightforward than the politics of F1 and Dubai is not as place known for their democratic rulings.
A contrived ending at Yas which was obviously predictable when the race dictator made his final decision rather than let the best man win or he would have thrown the red flag.
Even FIA will deduce that best move is to draw a line under the last week’s escapade but will common sense prevail
Only question I would like answering is why was Perez’s car withdrawn?
Old 17 Dec 2021, 21:15 (Ref:4090371)   #471
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mercedes: Will they ever dominate again?
I hope not!

Hopefully 2022 is an even season with Alpine, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, and maybe others being equally matched.
Old 18 Dec 2021, 03:21 (Ref:4090402)   #472
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I hope not!

Hopefully 2022 is an even season with Alpine, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, and maybe others being equally matched.
I do actually wonder, with Mr Verstappen now drinking from the cup of the highest championship in the universe... if he still has the motivation to keep pushing at that absolute level.

Mr Rosberg ran away and hid under the bed after his WDC triumph...
Perhaps fearful of a super motivated Mr Hamilton...

I hope its Mercedes 1-2 all year... with Mr Ricciardo an occasional interloper
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Dec 2021, 05:18 (Ref:4090414)   #473
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I do actually wonder, with Mr Verstappen now drinking from the cup of the highest championship in the universe... if he still has the motivation to keep pushing at that absolute level.

Mr Rosberg ran away and hid under the bed after his WDC triumph...
Perhaps fearful of a super motivated Mr Hamilton...

I hope its Mercedes 1-2 all year... with Mr Ricciardo an occasional interloper
Max is about as likely to relax after 1 title as Senna and Schumacher were-or Hamilton for that matter.
Nico was a different case and a different person.He had achieved his goal in motor racing,recognised he didn’t have the outright speed of his team mate and in a nice piece of symmetry decided to retire at the same age Keke did.
So you are so offended by Michael Masi you would like to watch 23 1 team processions rather than another competitive season?Classy.
Old 18 Dec 2021, 06:58 (Ref:4090420)   #474
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Max is about as likely to relax after 1 title as Senna and Schumacher were-or Hamilton for that matter.
Nico was a different case and a different person.He had achieved his goal in motor racing,recognised he didn’t have the outright speed of his team mate and in a nice piece of symmetry decided to retire at the same age Keke did.
So you are so offended by Michael Masi you would like to watch 23 1 team processions rather than another competitive season?Classy.
Good summary Alan, although when Keiijo stopped at the end of '86, he was actually quite a bit older (38) than Nico was when he at the end of '16 (31).
Old 18 Dec 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4090443)   #475
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I hope not!

This definitely for me. I'm looking to see Sainz, Leclerc, Gasly, Norris et al rising to the occasion from next season. We can all hope eh?