Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Nov 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3940851)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone remember CLIVE LACY Ford Anglia 1960's?

Hi, over on my racing page on Facebook, we were talking about the days when I started in the game, and talking about who inspired me? One name came up in that discussion, Clive Lacy or Lacey. Does anyone remember Clive, and where he was from?
Thanks. Gerry Taylor.
Old 16 Nov 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3940890)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry I do not remember him in an Anglia but I did see hhim race a Brabham Sports Car inthe late 60's. He seemed to race att Brands a lot so may be he was from that area.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 04:54 (Ref:3941036)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was his Brabham also known as the Courtenay Brabham...? A BT-8?

Edit: Chassis BT-8#4-64 was owned by Lacey for several seasons according to Old Racing Cars.
Quote:
Built for 1964 season, and fitted with a 2-litre Climax. Raced by Jackie Epstein (UK) in 1964 at the Targa Florio and at the Canadian GP in September. Then to Tommy Hitchcock for the North American Internationals in October 1964, for Nassau in December 1964, and for British events in 1965. To Clive Lacey for 1966, still using its Climax engine, and raced for several seasons. To David Capstick in 1969, and raced by Keith Grant in the Motoring News/Castrol Sports GT Championship series in 1970. Sold to Australian Bib Stillwell, who was then resident in the US, in 1984. To collector Art Valdez (Torrance, CA) 1993, and remained in his collection until sold to a UK consortium in 2017.
https://www.oldracingcars.com/brabham/bt8/

Last edited by E.B; 17 Nov 2019 at 05:06. Reason: Added further info found.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3941045)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know Clive also ran in Formula Ford in 1964....

This Motorsport Mag article has him winning in FF at Goodwood.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...practice-times
Old 17 Nov 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3941126)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to watch most of the racing at Brands in the 60s and used to keep the programs, however they all got chucked out when I got married and "flew the nest" unfortunately. I can't remember him in an Anglebox but I found a result from Brands dated 12/9/65 that he won in a Merlyn Ford, presumably a FF ?
https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...-Lacey-GB.html
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Nov 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3941128)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3941226)   #7
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget Formula Ford didn't start until 1967 . Clive Lacey's Merlyn Ford was a sports racer running in the 1150cc class of Sportscars races .
Old 18 Nov 2019, 00:32 (Ref:3941284)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Don't forget Formula Ford didn't start until 1967 . Clive Lacey's Merlyn Ford was a sports racer running in the 1150cc class of Sportscars races .
Hmm my brain is just as old as me I actually had a go in a FF in the 60s and I'm sure it was 1966 ? however the series probably hadn't started and I couldn't afford the money for a seasons drive anyway back then.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3941389)   #9
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You possibly did drive a 1500 Kent engined single seater at Brands in 1966 Gordon . Some time after Geoff Clarke moved Motor Racing Stables to Brands in 1963 , someone came up with the bright idea of replacing the expensive F3 spec engines in the schools cars with standard Kent engines and the costly racing tyres with road going radial tyres .

This idea worked so well that Formula Ford was conceived as a Formula around December 1966 and the first race was on July 2nd 1967 at Brands and was won by Ray Allen .
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:19 (Ref:3941408)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
You possibly did drive a 1500 Kent engined single seater at Brands in 1966 Gordon . Some time after Geoff Clarke moved Motor Racing Stables to Brands in 1963
This was at the old Motor Racing Stables before the Race school started. I used to go up to Brands when you could just turn up and have a thrash round in your road car for a few quid on one of the week days.
I had an Anglia van with a Twincam in it and had great fun mixing it with some of the race cars on the day
Old 19 Nov 2019, 00:54 (Ref:3941519)   #11
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I used to watch most of the racing at Brands in the 60s and used to keep the programs, however they all got chucked out when I got married and "flew the nest" unfortunately. I can't remember him in an Anglebox but I found a result from Brands dated 12/9/65 that he won in a Merlyn Ford, presumably a FF ?
Thanks Gordon. GT.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 00:55 (Ref:3941520)   #12
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Sorry I do not remember him in an Anglia but I did see hhim race a Brabham Sports Car inthe late 60's. He seemed to race att Brands a lot so may be he was from that area.
Thanks anyway. GT
Old 8 Dec 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3945584)   #13
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Thanks anyway. GT
Apologies.....I of course meant MIKE LACEY. Sorry guys. GT
Old 18 Apr 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3971532)   #14
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clive Lacey raced a Brabham BT8 with a Climax 2-7 raced in Motoring News with reasonable success The car was sold to Keith Grant/Chris Appleby, who entered WCM at Spa and the Ring.
Old 23 May 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4052811)   #15
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clive Lacey, Lotus 7, 1962

Clive Lacey won a Brands Hatch sprint in September 1962, organised by the Sevenoaks & District Motor Club.
A report appears in Autosport, September 28, 1962:
"As is becoming customary in these
events, Clive Lacey put up B.T.D. with
his most beautifully turned-out 997 c.c.
Lotus 7, his runs being models of con-
sistently fast and safe motoring in
2 mins 3.2 secs. and 2 mins 3.0 sec.
Report by RON AMBROSE.
The report also says "C. Saunders was also impressive in his crisp sounding T.V.R. in 2 mins 20.2 secs."
Possibly this #26 car here:

https://www.alamy.com/tvr-grantura-c...329986748.html

Can anybody give the date of this Sevenoaks & D.M.C. event? Does anybody have a programme?

RGDS RLT
Old 21 Jun 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4057616)   #16
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
Hi, over on my racing page on Facebook, we were talking about the days when I started in the game, and talking about who inspired me? One name came up in that discussion, Clive Lacy or Lacey. Does anyone remember Clive, and where he was from?
Thanks. Gerry Taylor.
Answering myself really guys. Here is MIKE Lacey mentioned in 1968.
Not to self MIKE Lacey not Clive Lacey...DUH !
Attached Thumbnails
168_0504_07.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4058376)   #17
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lots of familiar names on there, nevertheless.