Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

View Poll Results: Round Three - McLaren MP4/2 vs Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+
McLaren MP4/2 3 50.00%
Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 May 2021, 10:56 (Ref:4052511)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The COAT - Round Three - McLaren MP4/2 vs Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

The fourth match in the third round sees the McLaren MP4/2 up against the Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+.

In the second round, the McLaren took a 4-3 win over the Jordan 191, whilst the Mercedes took a 5-3 win over the Williams FW07.

McLaren MP4/2 (goodwood.com):
The McLaren MP4/2 is probably John Barnard’s masterpiece, even though he designed some pretty incredible Ferrari machinery later in his career. The MP4/2 won on its debut in 1984, added another 11 wins that season, six the following year and two more in 1986. On the way it secured two Constructors’ titles, and a Drivers’ crown for Niki Lauda (his third and final) and two for Alain Prost (his first two of four). Following on from the MP4/1’s innovative all-carbon chassis, the MP4/2 added a TAG-badged, in house financed, and Porsche-built turbocharged V6 to the mix. Combined it became a car so hard to beat, that at times the rest of the field would struggle to remain even on the same lap.

Amazingly the MP4/2 was actually pretty rubbish in qualifying trim, mostly because McLaren – financing their own engines – refused to run specific qualifying motors, when the rest of the competition did. Teams like Brabham were heading into qualifying with short-life BMW engines with the boost turned up to well over 1,500PS (1,100kW). But come race day, the McLaren was the car to beat. It wouldn’t be until Williams turned up with Honda power in 1986, that McLaren’s big Malboro-liveried beast would fall, and even then, thanks to the tenacity of Prost the MP4/2 still took the Drivers’ title one more time.

Mercedes AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+ (hotcars.com):
As mentioned previously, sometimes too much winning will lose its value amongst fans. Formula One fans can understand this very well now with Mercedes AMG destroying Ferrari [in 2019] in their W10.

For the first eight races of [2019], Mercedes won all of them. It took Ferrari up until the end of the summer break to win their first race at the Belgian Grand Prix. The AMG F1 W10 [was] just so far ahead of the competition. Though it may struggle in certain places, such as straights or hot-weather tracks, the amazing drivers and skilled Mercedes team work on and improve any mistakes.

As a result, Mercedes [...] clinched the 2019 Constructor's championship. Now, all that's left is to see if Bottas can keep up with the likes of Lewis Hamilton.

Old 21 May 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4052565)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Mercedes. The McLaren MP4/2 had no right to win the title, but did thanks to the genius of Prost
Old 21 May 2021, 17:59 (Ref:4052574)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The McLaren MP4/2 had no right to win the title, but did thanks to the genius of Prost
An interesting view of the MP4/2.

I take it you are referring to the '86 season?
Remember that in '84 the MP4/2 delivered a 1-2 in the WDC and scored 3x the points of any other car. Another WDC and WCC in '85 and the '86 season was the third WDC in a row for this car.....
Old 21 May 2021, 20:46 (Ref:4052616)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The MP4/2 stole a march in it’s first year, but eventually got caught up by the Williams-Honda combo, which was nowhere in it’s first full season in 84. It’s hard to compare it against the Merc, considering we don’t have chassis lasting more than one season anymore
Old 21 May 2021, 21:07 (Ref:4052622)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I think the comparisons can still be made, just over a compressed timescale.

The McLaren was way ahead of competitors in the first half of its time on track, much like the Mercedes.

Personally, I think the McLaren had less weaknesses compared to its rivals than the Mercedes.....
Old 22 May 2021, 06:29 (Ref:4052655)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

What the hell, I'll go for the Macca. Give the older car a chance
Old 28 May 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4053674)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Another draw - so a deciding vote is required again.

I sort of hinted at my preference for the McLaren in the thread, so it takes my vote.