Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4058017)   #101
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
or does Ham and Merc just need Bottas to think they support him as a valuable member of the team while they complete the current season title battle?
Old 24 Jun 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4058032)   #102
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/24/...-as-team-mate/

Interesting...

If not, and Russell replaces him, I could see Bottas replacing Raikkonen at Alfa Romeo. Kimi is having a poor season and it might be time for him to retire. Despite Giovinazzi's good start to the season, I don't think he has done enough to suggest he will ever be a Ferrari driver, so Ferrari may drop him from that second seat to be replaced by one of their juniors (Ilott or Schwartzman, maybe).

Zhou to Williams would be a good move if Russell leaves. It would be nice to see De Vries in Formula 1 as he is an F2 champion, but I think this is unlikely. I expect Latifi to remain at Williams, as there aren't really any seats higher up the grid available to him.

The thing is Merc can’t wait forever with regards to Russell. So they might not want to cave into Lewis’ demands. Could be like Ferrari signing Kimi, despite Schumi preferring someone not as fast

For me and other Antonio has been an unsung hero this year. Just quietly got on with the job and rarely made mistakes, with some decent finishes. Be nice if he could go on for a bit

I would so love to see de Vries in F1 too. The thing is Williams would need to find backing, so they didn’t need to rely on Latifi
Old 24 Jun 2021, 21:13 (Ref:4058059)   #103
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/24/...-as-team-mate/

Interesting...

If not, and Russell replaces him, I could see Bottas replacing Raikkonen at Alfa Romeo. Kimi is having a poor season and it might be time for him to retire. Despite Giovinazzi's good start to the season, I don't think he has done enough to suggest he will ever be a Ferrari driver, so Ferrari may drop him from that second seat to be replaced by one of their juniors (Ilott or Schwartzman, maybe).

Zhou to Williams would be a good move if Russell leaves. It would be nice to see De Vries in Formula 1 as he is an F2 champion, but I think this is unlikely. I expect Latifi to remain at Williams, as there aren't really any seats higher up the grid available to him.
Not sure Ilott’s Dad has the budget. Shwartzman has SMP though.
Old 24 Jun 2021, 22:12 (Ref:4058066)   #104
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
smp haven't backed a driver to f1 yet have they?
Old 25 Jun 2021, 00:58 (Ref:4058077)   #105
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ssell-question

Hamilton's contract, along with Russell and Bottas, comes to an end this year, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff hoping to sign Hamilton on a 'multi-year deal,' however, the Briton remained coy about the details.

"We have begun discussions, and, not a lot to say - just we have had discussions and things are positive so... and yes, Valtteri is my team-mate now, and both of us have had ups and downs in our careers, but as I said he is a fantastic team-mate and I don't necessarily think that needs to change."

When pushed by Tom Clarkson in the FIA's F1 press conference on Thursday for a word on Russell as a viable option, Hamilton replied "Doing what?"
The last comment, if that's what Hamilton said about russell, could be interpreted so many ways. It sounds dismissive of russell. Like in a "why are we talking about someone else when bottas is here?" at best, and at worst, the start of a mind game with him. Like a little dig at him, knowing he's going to be his teammate next year, so he's starting the mind games now in preparation for a challenger a little tougher than bottas. Could be another hint that russell is in for sure come next year.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 01:27 (Ref:4058079)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or, he finds the questioning extremely tedious. Which it is. It gains nothing other than an excuse for column inches.

As with last year, we’ll know when we know.

It’s cool to speculate, but prodding by journalists rarely gives us anything. Especially the standard of journalist we currently have.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 02:29 (Ref:4058083)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The thing is Merc can’t wait forever with regards to Russell. So they might not want to cave into Lewis’ demands. Could be like Ferrari signing Kimi, despite Schumi preferring someone not as fast

For me and other Antonio has been an unsung hero this year. Just quietly got on with the job and rarely made mistakes, with some decent finishes. Be nice if he could go on for a bit

I would so love to see de Vries in F1 too. The thing is Williams would need to find backing, so they didn’t need to rely on Latifi
If Merc lose this year's constructors championship because their second driver did not provide sufficient back up, then the Mercedes board is going to start asking Bottas' manager questions.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 04:05 (Ref:4058090)   #108
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Good point. Did Vitaly have them?
Old 25 Jun 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4058117)   #109
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Good point. Did Vitaly have them?
Don't think he did?

Seem to recall some other large stickers on his cars and overalls? Think his Manager has put together a load of dough from some other Russian sources?

As to Williams, if Zhou goes to Williams, I wonder if that means a supply of free Renault engines as well? However I can't imagine the team making much on track performance gains with Latifi and Zhou driving?

Maybe Williams' Merc engines are going elsewhere with George if Toto doesn't promote him to Brackley?

If the Alfa money stops (which isn't apparently a huge amount despite the size of the signwriting!) at Sauber, maybe the owners will welcome Merc PU's and a gun driver like GR to replace Kimi or Antonio?
Old 25 Jun 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4058145)   #110
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
They list both Vitaly Petrov and Sergey Sirotkin as drivers they have backed in F1.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4058163)   #111
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
They list both Vitaly Petrov and Sergey Sirotkin as drivers they have backed in F1.
Completely forgot Sirotkin!
Old 25 Jun 2021, 23:48 (Ref:4058218)   #112
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sirotkin is the main one, yeah.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 14:02 (Ref:4063416)   #113
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems to be more and more talk about driver change at Mercedes. Specifically Bottas out and Russell in. I know it's speculation, but lots of smoke...

Mercedes to make decision over summer break
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...2RHgJVzr7.html

What will happen with Bottas?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...ture-/6637355/

Bottas to Alfa?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...ssell/6635439/

How will Williams fill the gap?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...ssell/6637470/

Richard
Old 27 Jul 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4063433)   #114
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Lewis is confirmed, although it all depends if he still wants to go on, as that could change. No surprise they are talking about Bottas out or Russell in, but nothing is certain yet. Just need to keep reading every story

I can see changes at Merc and Bottas going out. Will he continue in F1? I can see him retiring tbh. I'm sure Alfa would love to have him, but would he want to go there, even if there are plenty of good reasons to go there, especially if the team wants to progress

Williams will be one to watch in terms of drivers, all depends what happens next or which drivers are available, as the team despite recent progress, still are a bit uncertain for the future. Can see Latifi staying, as he has nowhere else to go and has done a solid if unspectacular job there, but we'll see
Old 27 Jul 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4063438)   #115
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can see changes at Merc and Bottas going out. Will he continue in F1? I can see him retiring tbh. I'm sure Alfa would love to have him, but would he want to go there, even if there are plenty of good reasons to go there, especially if the team wants to progress

Williams will be one to watch in terms of drivers, all depends what happens next or which drivers are available, as the team despite recent progress, still are a bit uncertain for the future. Can see Latifi staying, as he has nowhere else to go and has done a solid if unspectacular job there, but we'll see
Maybe you have missed on Bottas saying that if he was to lose the Merc drive his wish is to stay in F1, helping a team rebuild, although if nothing was to come his way (ie Alfa / Williams) he would be prepared to look outside F1. He has no intention of retiring and (he) feels he has a few good years left in him.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/07/24...outside-of-f1/

I believe Williams are more than keen to retain Latifi given the tens of millions he / his Father provides the team.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 21:59 (Ref:4063484)   #116
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I believe Williams are more than keen to retain Latifi given the tens of millions he / his Father provides the team.
Until he costs the team more than they make, both cash and points, he's got a seat. If they lose Goergie it could be rough for them to find the next guy as good. He HAS to be the guy making that car better, all the engineers in the world can't make the car on track better, they can just make a better mousetrap but without verification and feedback it's a dud. They need to hope they can find a slightly moneyed guy with good feedback after Russell gets promoted, can't see Mercedes giving him the Ocon treatment.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 22:17 (Ref:4063487)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the new cars next year, both Alfa or Williams would be smart to pick up Bottas.

Bonus points if Alfa pairs Bottas with Kimi!
Old 28 Jul 2021, 00:27 (Ref:4063497)   #118
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Until he costs the team more than they make, both cash and points, he's got a seat. If they lose Goergie it could be rough for them to find the next guy as good. He HAS to be the guy making that car better, all the engineers in the world can't make the car on track better, they can just make a better mousetrap but without verification and feedback it's a dud. They need to hope they can find a slightly moneyed guy with good feedback after Russell gets promoted, can't see Mercedes giving him the Ocon treatment.
I don't know what you think, but if Merc Oconned Russell I reckon he would be at RBR so fast that he would probably be bald when he got there because his hair would not be able to keep up.
RBR interest is probably the reason he will be promoted to Merc for 2022 anyway.
Old 28 Jul 2021, 05:37 (Ref:4063515)   #119
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I don't know what you think, but if Merc Oconned Russell I reckon he would be at RBR so fast that he would probably be bald when he got there because his hair would not be able to keep up.
RBR interest is probably the reason he will be promoted to Merc for 2022 anyway.
And Mercedes interest is what initially saw Verstappen quickly into STR then RBR.

Which of course kicked Kvyat out, who incidentally is in the frame to replace Russell at Williams, should he be promoted to Merc, because of RB's interest.

Some nice symmetry really.
Old 28 Jul 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4063646)   #120
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
lol getting oconned!
Old 29 Jul 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4063867)   #121
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Unless Kvyat has serious backing I doubt Williams would really want him.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 07:07 (Ref:4063917)   #122
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Im still thinking gorgeous george to merc.. bottas to mclaren, my man dan to williams or out of f1

yes i know dan has a multiyear contract but there are always ways to break f1 contracts and altho i love the guy.. he is struggling most of this year.

given merc give mcl engines and toto says he will find a good seat for bottas, if he rang Andreas and made him an offer he couldnt refuse.

I think mcl would rather like bottas in their car, and bottas might accept a macl seat if he is #1 or equal driver, he must be sick of being number 2 in team and his pay packet isnt that huge, so a bump would be nice, Im sure

I cant see Bottas liking a williams seat
Old 30 Jul 2021, 09:13 (Ref:4063939)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

I can't see Bottas returning to Williams either
Old 30 Jul 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4063971)   #124
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Im still thinking gorgeous george to merc.. bottas to mclaren, my man dan to williams or out of f1

yes i know dan has a multiyear contract but there are always ways to break f1 contracts and altho i love the guy.. he is struggling most of this year.

given merc give mcl engines and toto says he will find a good seat for bottas, if he rang Andreas and made him an offer he couldnt refuse.

I think mcl would rather like bottas in their car, and bottas might accept a macl seat if he is #1 or equal driver, he must be sick of being number 2 in team and his pay packet isnt that huge, so a bump would be nice, Im sure

I cant see Bottas liking a williams seat
I have also been thinking the same about Bottas to McLaren. Don't think it will happen but could be Norris to Mercedes and Russell to McLaren.
Old 30 Jul 2021, 15:25 (Ref:4063991)   #125
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
I have also been thinking the same about Bottas to McLaren. Don't think it will happen but could be Norris to Mercedes and Russell to McLaren.
As we all say "contracts are meant to be broken", but Norris signed an extension with McLaren a month or so ago. Given McLaren's new form, why would Norris want to go to Mercedes to be #2 when there is a strong argument he is #1 at McLaren?

Richard