Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3958773)   #126
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Impressive isn't it? Day 1 and they're piling in the laps - pretty much all teams breaking the 100 lap barrier at this stage.
and looks like they will all break 100 laps again today. heck, LH put in 100 just in the morning.

the level of preparation across all the teams is extremely impressive. again its early but im hoping this means we are in for a very competitive year.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3958779)   #127
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Racing Point and Williams seem to have made the biggest gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
A lot of talk about how similar the Racing Point is to the Merc of last year or this year. Maybe it’s a sign of their intentions. I can see them moving up the grid this season
about time the Merc customer teams took better advantage of their power plant and whatever other technical input being offered by the leading team of this era. i hope it works for RP and i hope it is enough to convince Williams that this is the way forward for underfunded teams.

at least a short term solution as they try to move back up the field.

(getting way ahead of things)if RP can challenge for the occasional podium and if they can carry that momentum into next year's cost cap formula, then its a whole new ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Ferrari shone in testing last year.

title is far from inked
right! perhaps Ferrari are the ones sandbagging this year. lots of C3 and the harder C2 runs (possibly with heavy fuel) so who knows where they, or RB, are at relative to Merc.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3958800)   #128
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Ferrari shone in testing last year.

title is far from inked
Ferrari AND Alfa
Old 20 Feb 2020, 18:31 (Ref:3958806)   #129
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That steering system is very cool and absolutely going to be banned. It's up there with the third pedal and mass damper, where they're clearly legal, but theres going to be something which it gets banned under but it doesn't make sense.

Very cool system. Surprised Merc showed it off on camera that early.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 19:08 (Ref:3958816)   #130
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Standard features on a Lada,a loose steering wheel and wobbly front wheels.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3958829)   #131
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From the video I have seen of the Mercedes steering system I can't see how you could ban it-the direction in which the wheels point is controlled by moving the steering wheel.A good bit of lateral thinking by Mercedes and I have no doubt that every engineer at the other teams will be looking for hairs to split in the wording of the rules,or worse,referring to the "spirit of the rules" and trying to justify a protest.Sufficiently vigorous effort might enable them to deflect the obvious question "why did they think of it and not us"?
Old 20 Feb 2020, 20:02 (Ref:3958831)   #132
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Standard features on a Lada,a loose steering wheel and wobbly front wheels.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3958841)   #133
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Obvious headline: "Was ist DAS?"
Fantastic!
Old 20 Feb 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3958844)   #134
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That steering system is very cool and absolutely going to be banned. It's up there with the third pedal and mass damper, where they're clearly legal, but theres going to be something which it gets banned under but it doesn't make sense.
I'm not so sure TBH. I think a bit like the original Super Aguri double deck diffuser which Honda & Brawn inherited and developed, if something spurious doesn't see it banned by the second test it'll be with us all season and every other team will be pushing to develop their own while simultaneously trying to get it banned.

It won't be on the cars next year as a moving steering wheel, that's for sure. But the concept exists, like brake balance, so I can see it being integrated into cockpits as a shift handle if it is allowed to remain.

The primary reason I can see for outlawing it is one of safety. Simply making a rule that the steering column must be fixed, in terms of fore and aft movement, is a simple fix - if a fix is needed.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 21:26 (Ref:3958853)   #135
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also, Mercedes claims they have kept the FIA technical team in the loop as to the system. So it should not be a surprise to anyone other than the other teams. Now, the question is how loud might they complain. But it appears to be legal.

My guess, it will remain for this season. Potentially go away in 2021.

Richard
Old 20 Feb 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3958855)   #136
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We all like a bit of innovation, so full marks to Merc for thinking of this. Of course things like this have the potential to spiral out of control, so I’m sure the FIA will be monitoring to make sure it doesn’t get silly
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:07 (Ref:3958862)   #137
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
From the video I have seen of the Mercedes steering system I can't see how you could ban it-the direction in which the wheels point is controlled by moving the steering wheel.A good bit of lateral thinking by Mercedes and I have no doubt that every engineer at the other teams will be looking for hairs to split in the wording of the rules,or worse,referring to the "spirit of the rules" and trying to justify a protest.Sufficiently vigorous effort might enable them to deflect the obvious question "why did they think of it and not us"?
Camber and toe are suspension settings, so they are adjusting suspension settings on the move, which is illegal.

Could possibly argue that toe varies according to steering angle (Ackerman steering principle) and therefore this system is just a variation and therefore it is legal.

Going to be interesting to see what happens, really nice thinking though.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3958867)   #138
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Also, Mercedes claims they have kept the FIA technical team in the loop as to the system. So it should not be a surprise to anyone other than the other teams. Now, the question is how loud might they complain. But it appears to be legal.

My guess, it will remain for this season. Potentially go away in 2021.

Richard
but is it a surprise to Brawn/FOM who i believe now have more latitude in interpreting what falls within the spirit of the rules? rather this is not just an issue of whether or not something is technically legal or not.

so in the lead up to next year's cost cap and new design philosophy, FOM may have to show a heavy hand in order to set the standard that they want to see followed for next season.

or perhaps they may love this idea. i dont know how much it would cost for the other teams to develop it. maybe its cheap or maybe such mechanical solutions will aid with the following/turbulent air problem. im not sure what effect this tire movement will have on tire life but maybe this is exactly the type of innovations FOM is looking for more of?

money vs innovation with a good dose of politics involved...very happy F1 is back!
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:34 (Ref:3958868)   #139
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Camber and toe are suspension settings, so they are adjusting suspension settings on the move, which is illegal.

Could possibly argue that toe varies according to steering angle (Ackerman steering principle) and therefore this system is just a variation and therefore it is legal.

To get to the kernel of the matter,I would suggest that what they are doing is moving the steering wheel to change the direction in which the wheels point.Would you seriously suggest that it is outside the rules to do such a thing?
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:42 (Ref:3958871)   #140
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
To get to the kernel of the matter,I would suggest that what they are doing is moving the steering wheel to change the direction in which the wheels point.Would you seriously suggest that it is outside the rules to do such a thing?
Guess you could go with that one, next is going to be should the steering wheel be able to move fore and aft, can we use it to stiffen up the dive under braking too?

Personally, I hope that the "we didn't think of this idea" contingent fail to get it banned, at least its something new.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:54 (Ref:3958874)   #141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We haven't had anything like this since 2010, when the double-diffuser and McLaren's F-duct were subsequently banned for the following season. It'll be interesting to see if this meets with a similar fate.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 23:36 (Ref:3958887)   #142
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if it's "legal" they will find a way to ban it. Just history repeating...
Old 21 Feb 2020, 00:42 (Ref:3958895)   #143
wnut
Veteran

This article speculates that the DAS device is regulating the camber of the wheels which would make far more sense than regulating the toe.

https://formulaspy.com/f1/vettel-say...is-weird-67989

Headline is Vettel saying that the system looks difficult to control, preparing the ground for a ban for safety reasons?
Old 21 Feb 2020, 01:24 (Ref:3958896)   #144
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This article speculates that the DAS device is regulating the camber of the wheels which would make far more sense than regulating the toe.

Headline is Vettel saying that the system looks difficult to control, preparing the ground for a ban for safety reasons?
I've watched a couple of videos explaining what's going on and they say it is the toe that's being altered.

https://youtu.be/U_uKHNJLSQs

https://youtu.be/2s7ScavfXwE
Old 21 Feb 2020, 01:37 (Ref:3958898)   #145
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I think driver changes to suspension (such as camber) might be illegal. Now you could argue "toe" changes is the same, but what they are doing is "steering" the wheels which is allowed.

I can see that "safety" is the easy way to try to ban it.

Richard
Old 21 Feb 2020, 05:03 (Ref:3958911)   #146
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I think it’s pretty clear that it changes toe and not camber. Changing toes has a clear affect on acceleration and top speed...
Old 21 Feb 2020, 06:16 (Ref:3958912)   #147
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I thought it was illegal for the pit wall to make adjustments remotely.
You say adjusting suspension settings on the move is illegal..... how do they get round that with their adjustable roll bars as found/used in every category of racing from F1 down? Technically that is adjusting the suspension. Not trying to pick a fight, just an observation.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 07:24 (Ref:3958925)   #148
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Adjustable roll bars were banned about 30 years ago!
Old 21 Feb 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3958928)   #149
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I was pretty sure it was camber in the videos but people who are smarter than me say it's the toe.

I still think this will be banned.

This is how the mass damper was banned. Keep in mind that the mass damper wasn't even exposed to the outside air and they still argued it was an aerodynamic device.

While its view in the past had been that they do not contravene the technical regulations, recent evidence and an escalation in development by some teams has made it clear to us that the principle purpose of these devices is to improve the aerodynamic performance of the car".

The FIA insisted that the regulations demand that any part of the car that influences its aerodynamic performance must remain fixed and immobile in relation to the sprung mass. Mass dampers directly influence the ride high and with that downforce and loading of the tire contact patch. Device potentially permitted the use of stiffer suspension settings and can be seen to indirectly influence the aerodynamic performance of the car. FIA technical regulations are specific in this area:

3.15 Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
- Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
- Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).
- Must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane

You could sensibly argue that the steering wheel has to rotate and that's fine. But the fore and aft movement is not a requirement.

It's a brilliant system. But I don't see it lasting.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3958931)   #150
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That the supposed pinnacle of motor racing might ban this innovation makes me sad. There is now no possibility of F1 engineers being allowed to innovate at all so why bother. In fact F1 is a dead end as far as innovation is concerned nowadays where it used to pride itself on new ideas that the teams came up with. Did someone say a spec racing series??