Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 May 2004, 16:02 (Ref:976736)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSV Ticketing Policy

Not sure where this should "live" really so I put it here, as it will no doubt affect some of you!

Just received this from the BRSCC HQ newsletter

* NEW MSV TICKET POLICY

MSV is implementing a new ticket policy for all race meetings run at their venues as of 1st June. One aspect of the policy is that MSV has reduced the ticket allocation per competitor from 5 tickets to 4. Marshals and officials will still be entitled to two tickets, however, marshals must be in possession of a valid ticket to gain access to a circuit - their MSA card will not be sufficient.
Old 20 May 2004, 16:25 (Ref:976753)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've moved this to Racers so it gets the attention of all competitors, not just single-seater ones.
Old 20 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:976841)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not good but what is the driver behind this?
Old 20 May 2004, 18:41 (Ref:976855)   #4
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
20% less free tickets, more people pay to get in on raceday.

More profit.

Bit mean really.
Old 20 May 2004, 18:54 (Ref:976884)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kartingdad
20% less free tickets, more people pay to get in on raceday.

More profit.

Bit mean really.
Hmm. If you mean Reduced loss then you might be part right.

Remember that if MSV does not make a profit from racing and associated activities (it is a business) then we are likely to be back discussing which circuits would make nice housing estates or industrial units.

So which championship coordinator is going to start a "ticket exchange" to optimise the use of the reduced number of tickets at each meeting?

Regards

Jim
Old 20 May 2004, 18:55 (Ref:976885)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They only pay if they want to be there.
Old 20 May 2004, 19:00 (Ref:976891)   #7
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are tickets part of the cost of an entry fee?
If so, I'll just take three for each meeting and reduce the entry fee accordingly.

Does this mean a reduction in entry fees?
No, I don't think so.
Old 20 May 2004, 19:27 (Ref:976922)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't have thought that tickets are part of the cost. But you have to see it from a business point of view I guess...
Old 20 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:976931)   #9
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well thats one less person coming down to watch me race at weekends! MSV will not gain the extra revenue they intend from gate receipts as just not as many people will turn up to the meetings. Also meaning less people buying over priced burgers and drinks from inside the circuit. Bad business sense in my opinion (and coming from a business studies student!)
Old 20 May 2004, 20:27 (Ref:976966)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Agreed. Think of the money they will save on ticket printing costs though!
Old 20 May 2004, 22:19 (Ref:977102)   #11
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this policy develops, it will not be long before we will be paying to enter the race and paying to get into the circuit to do it!

This is madness. I give all my spare tickets to people who would not pay to watch, in the hope that I can encourage some new spectators. I agree with D_Marshall that this will mean even less people at meetings.

Apart from the ticket printing and a few bods on the gate to punch holes in them, what are the costs associated with spectators?

Given that no-one gets any current benefit from the gate, why not let everyone in free. Then sell them some burgers, charge them to kart, bounce or listen to bands. Just give them a reason to come along, provide some entertaining racing and hopefully build a base of fans who would in future be prepared to pay to attend.

I really cannot see any benefits to MSV from this petty penny pinching attitude.
Old 20 May 2004, 23:00 (Ref:977129)   #12
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on that JohnW. If they charged a £ to get in, I'm sure more people would come in. I still personally think a tenner for a full days racing is good value considering I sit at Old Trafford for 90 minutes and by the time i've parked, got a pie, program etc, I'm up to fifty quid.

I just don't see the benefit of taking a ticket off the competitor.

Unfortunately, whilst I for one would vote with my feet and not enter the races, there are too many drivers that are happy to see themselves get spanked year in year out.

Before the club meet at Oulton on the 24th April this year, there was an announcement by MR JP in Autosport. It read to the effect that if they couldn't get people through the gate, then the costs would be passed onto the competitor.
I didn't see or hear one advertisement for that meeting anywhere. How does he expect to get people in if they don't know it's happening. Bolton used to have Banger Racing on a Sunday afternoon. A small ad in the local rag and it was packed......

They need to look at who they have on their marketing staff, because their not doing the job.
Old 21 May 2004, 07:21 (Ref:977328)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is still to early to judge whether JP is doing a good job or not. What is very evident is the work that has been carried out at some of the MSV circuits to improve facilities. Lets give the business time to settle before we make too many criticisms.
Old 21 May 2004, 07:59 (Ref:977353)   #14
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The implication is that the tickets not used are sold on, I don't think this happens, I use my spare tickets as a thank you to those who help me.
There is no point in re-hashing the arguement that the circuit owners don't do enough to promote the racing that is obvious.
I guess when we have got used to only having four tickets the number will be reduced to three then two, the end result will be to once again penalise the competitor for the inability of both organisers and circuit owners to get together and promote meetings properly
Old 21 May 2004, 08:12 (Ref:977365)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I havent ever heard of spare tickets being sold on...passed on of course but isn't that the point.
As for cutting printing costs I don't think that really washes as I imagine it would be a bulk deal anyway and perversely could end up costing more if the printers have to do shorter and shorter runs.
I assume they are working on the assumption that a competitor will nedd to get himself, a mechanic, a partner and a.n.other into a meeting (kids being free)
Old 21 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:977369)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a job for Press Officer advertised in this weeks Autosport, hopefully that will start addressing the anonimity of some of the meetings held.
Maybe I should apply

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to witness it does it still make a noise?
Old 21 May 2004, 10:23 (Ref:977505)   #17
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On another note regarding MSV's new policy, I had an e-mail yesterday to say that they are not acknowledging the F3/GT permanent media passes - holders of these will need to apply for accreditation for the relevant meetings!
Old 21 May 2004, 10:28 (Ref:977513)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Quote:
Originally posted by F3lollipops
On another note regarding MSV's new policy, I had an e-mail yesterday to say that they are not acknowledging the F3/GT permanent media passes - holders of these will need to apply for accreditation for the relevant meetings!
wow that sucks...doesn't effect me as that's what I was told to do right at the begining of the year but I can imagine a few people being well pis**d off

seems a bit odd as Andy who administers this is new to the job and I believe a bit swamped at the moment
Old 21 May 2004, 11:42 (Ref:977588)   #19
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reducing the amount of free tickets distributed to competitors will not affect their profit/loss margin. As people have said above, those who would normally utilise the tickets simply wont turn up or will blag spare tickets off those who only need 2.

Printings costs will definitely not be significant unless they are being ripped off by their suppliers.

The only thing that will happen is a reduction in the amount of people attending events, thus TOTALLY COUNTER PRODUCTIVE....

.... me thinks they should actually employ a cost saving consultancy to identify the main costs and where they could renegotiate contracts, suppliers and combine it with an efficient resource strategy. You would have thought the people involved in MSV would have been used to such exercises by now, especially being backed by financial institutions. I dread to think who their audit firm is.

Last edited by ActiveMS; 21 May 2004 at 11:44.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:35 (Ref:977829)   #20
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it stinks......
Old 21 May 2004, 15:57 (Ref:977855)   #21
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well just more smugling in the trailer then !!!Bit like Dover with illegal imegrants !!
Old 21 May 2004, 16:03 (Ref:977858)   #22
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm speaking as a marshal, so forgive me if I miss the point entirely, but I can't see a problem with a reduction in ticket allocations. From what I've seen of club racing, the average "team" appears to consist of either:
The driver and his mechanic
0r
The driver, his wife and kids, his mechanic, his mechanics missus, the mechanics mate and a dog.
In the latter case, that's a lot of people not contributing to the revenue of the meeting, whilst not actually filling any other worthwhile function either. During my short-lived attempt at a stock car racing career, the general rule was the driver and one mechanic got in free, and everyone else paid whether they were part of a team or not, and that didn't seem to discourage mates and family members from attending. I think there's a certain amount of complaining for the sake of it going on here. I do agree the press accreditation thing is daft though.
Old 21 May 2004, 18:01 (Ref:977967)   #23
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong, but I thought Easter weekend 750MC at Snetterton was three tickets only (I recall it highlighted in Final Instructions).

I can see the logic in believing it might generate extra revenue (as previously mentioned, there's no cost saving, as the print costs will be about a penny a ticket, they are bulk printed, then overprinted with event details), and I can see that it might appear worth the inevitable p'ing off of competitors. Certainly it's not going to put off competitors.
But,
This increases the value of entrant tickets. People who treated spares as scrap are more likely to donate/trade them. They are more likely to see MSV as attempting to fleece them, and are more likely to take greater liberties in other areas. But of coourse, none of that shows up in the Profit & Loss.
What it might mean is that the 'large teams' Cynic refers to will come one time less every season. What you'll find is that what MSV think they have gained by getting one extra person to fork out a tenner is matched by a reduction in the gate.
Also, Cynic, you should remember that all those people 'not contributing' are spending cash on food & drink ("Can of warm pop? That'll be a quid to you, sir"), and whatever else is on offer. whether services are owned or franchised, some of that is going back to the circuit owners, and there are rumours that one Interpublic circuit was funded by burger sales. A trip to Days Of Thunder, and you would be staggered by the customer spend.
Also these hangers-on are telling other people about the event (free marketing).

I can understand the reasons for the action, but disturbs me that (as in so many other areas of this sport) the thinking and actions are all about cutting and reducing. Taken to its extreme, we'll have Rod Birley alone alone at Cadwell (the last circuit that hasn't become a superstore), wondering where everyone else went. We need to be thinking expansion. Follow this route, and we reach a point where every circuit has racing every weekend, and every gridspace is full. I know which option I prefer.
Old 21 May 2004, 18:50 (Ref:978028)   #24
Werewolf
Racer

Werewolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a business point of view is the corporate side of the business more profitable from the racing side?if companies want to send there staff to have a nice day out at a race circuit and get charged lots of money for them doing so would you complain.these red letter day experiences and track days must keep the coffers full as well.may be wrong but if i was in business i know which id choose?could this be JP masterplan ,turn everything into another Bedford Autodrome.
Disillusioned and confused!!!
Old 21 May 2004, 23:07 (Ref:978179)   #25
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
...so forgive me if I miss the point entirely....
You're forgiven.