Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jul 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3833911)   #76
ChrisMarks
Rookie

Denmark
ChrisMarks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
It is not and never was homologated. It raced in a TCR race but was never homologated (so it can't score points), like a lot of other things. It shows up on the TCR International site but not the main TCR site. Actually interesting that they should be so completely different.

Officially homologated cars are here:
http://www.tcr-series.com/inside-tcr/homologated-cars
You are wrong, the Focus WAS homologated, back from 2015-17 and could have scored points in TCR International. However as i said, it is NO LONGER homologated and can therefore not be found on the TCR list of homologated cars anymore..
Old 1 Jul 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3833914)   #77
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMarks View Post
You are wrong, the Focus WAS homologated, back from 2015-17 and could have scored points in TCR International. However as i said, it is NO LONGER homologated and can therefore not be found on the TCR list of homologated cars anymore..
2016 TCR International:

Quote:
non-classified TCR and CTCC entries are ineligible to score points
Hong Kong Suncity Racing Team[25] Citroen C-Elysée[25] 11 Hong Kong Alex Hui[25] 11
12 Hong Kong Sunny Wong[25] 11
Macau Son Veng Racing Team[44] Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR[44] 14 China Neric Wei[44] 11
China Linky Racing Team[25] Audi S3 Saloon[25] 21 China Zhang Ya Qi[25] 11
33 China Jiang Teng Yi[25] 11
Hong Kong Team TRC[25] Honda Civic TCR[25] 68 Hong Kong Tang Chi Lun[25] 11
Hong Kong FRD Motorsports[45] Ford Focus TCR[45] 71 Hong Kong Kenneth Ma[25] 11
Macau Asia Racing Team[25] SEAT León TCR[25] 97 Hong Kong Edgar Lau[25] 11
China Star Racing Team[25] Mercedes-Benz C260[25] 99 Hong Kong William Lok[25] 11
Old 1 Jul 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3833917)   #78
ChrisMarks
Rookie

Denmark
ChrisMarks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2016 TCR International:
Nice copy and paste job from the Wiki page, but that was for the Macau round where they ran different tires than the others. They could have scored point in the two previous races in Singapore and Malaysia, if Cao and Pastorelli had made it into the top 10

The same would would apply to Neric Wei who also entered the races in Singapore and Macau..
Old 1 Jul 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3833920)   #79
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's the series standings, and the POS championship page can't manage to even serve it up.

Either way the Ford Focus is dead (it was a warmed over CTCC car anyway), and the Subaru is also dead, Comini is moving into a Honda... So Speedcafe want to stop flogging a dead horse.

the TCR thread on this very forum is entertaining, with very Group-A like BoP *****ing....
Old 1 Jul 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3833925)   #80
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Comini already moved to the Honda at the last TCR Europe event a few weeks ago...
Old 1 Jul 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3834029)   #81
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Holden sells the Opel as, you're gonna love this; an Astra hatch.
Pretty sure Australia copied Europe..... Vauxhall have had an Astra since the late 70's. Opel only since 1991. The first Astras in Aus were Nissan made based on the Pulsar and were replaced by the Nova. Holden (Opel based) Astra was used in New Zealand from 1993. This was also sold in Aus as the Opel based Astra when it replced the Nova soon after. The latest Holden Astras from 2014 were fully imported Holden badged Opels.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3834210)   #82
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3834232)   #83
Mixer
Veteran

To be fair, Umai Naa has picked me up on a fair point, there are more than 2 credible cars, but the point I was making was that the manufacturers behind them are not sufficiently strong in Australia that I think they could make any kind of effort to have their brand represented in TCR, plus the Astra doesn't seem to be particularly competitive.

VW, & Hyundai certainly are strong enough in sales to put money into something like this and both have had local racing programs. They also both have cars that are strong in the competition. Audi also is strong and looks the most likely at the moment.

Peugeot is a strong car but locally a bit of a basket case, likewise I am not sure how likely the Astra is, but if the car is sold locally then you could get dealer support or other local support.

The Alfa looks like it has pace but i am not sure the chances of it racing here.

Perhaps more likely is the Honda but they haven't really got form, and they seem to be coming out of the wilderness. The car seems to have some serious teething problems right now.

All of the other cars that have been entered don't rate a mention, and will not factor in any local racing.

Now one thing that IS interesting is the possibility of the 3 companies under the ownership of PSA having a collective homologation and supply situation like the 3 VAG brands do - Peugeot, Citroen and Opel all sit under the PSA umbrella, and certainly the Frogs have had form in racing together.

i really want to like this series but Speedcafe is pumping up the tyres too much.

Also the TCR website is horrid, the championship results don't show car manufacturers, nor do the team pages. The for sale pages are horribly put together with no information or images, it is all a bit amateurish.

Full races on YouTube is great and more racing series should do it.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3834242)   #84
Umai Naa
Veteran

There's not a lot of direct factory support in TCR at all, on the whole. Some teams enjoy some level of support from the local arm of the manufacturer where they're based, and some dealer support. But actual factory teams are few and far between.

On the Astra again, the current generation of EuroGMs aren't considered a PSA product. Next generation, different story. As far as being competitive goes, HP International in TCR Germany are very much a privateer outfit, but run two cars at the pointy end. Harald Proczyk is leading that championship, which is considered the most competitive one right now. Besides the UK and the Middle East, the Astra isn't being used much.

The current generation Civic is a new car for this year, and is showing strong potential being at the front of several championships already.

For my mind, I don't think anyone thinking about getting involved is going to hedge their bets on manufacturer support beyond dealership level. While the purchase price of the cars seems high, again, the running costs are relatively low. Spoke to someone just this morning who runs two Excels, and is very close to pulling the trigger on an i30N to run here. Their sums equated to somewhere in the $5-10K mark per event, depending on how serious they wanted to be (I mean you don't have to have new bedded sets of pads and rotors for each qualy and race). There are guys spending over and above that to run mid-pack in IPRA.

As for what you'd pick, you couldn't go too wrong with most of them. I think you will see a Cupra or two here, because they're cheap enough. No one will bother with the Kia, Renault or Lada, as they're either undercooked, or the customer support is questionable. Everything else is running at the front of the pack somewhere in the world. If your campaign doesn't pan out, you can always offload to someone else without losing too much on resale.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 02:42 (Ref:3834252)   #85
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
There's not a lot of direct factory support in TCR at all, on the whole. Some teams enjoy some level of support from the local arm of the manufacturer where they're based, and some dealer support. But actual factory teams are few and far between.
I am really looking at manufacter support for the development of the vehicle, not sponsorship of a racing team.

Quote:
As for what you'd pick, you couldn't go too wrong with most of them. I think you will see a Cupra or two here, because they're cheap enough. No one will bother with the Kia, Renault or Lada, as they're either undercooked, or the customer support is questionable. Everything else is running at the front of the pack somewhere in the world. If your campaign doesn't pan out, you can always offload to someone else without losing too much on resale.
No doubt there are more Seats out there as they begat the category.

Does make me wonder how much of a success Skoda is and whether VW might at some point re-introduce Seat.
Old 2 Jul 2018, 02:46 (Ref:3834253)   #86
Umai Naa
Veteran

There's no ongoing development by the customer teams. The constructor takes care of that, updates are rolled out annually, and the uptake on those is voluntary. It's a mirror of GT3/4. Not all constructors enjoy manufacturer support, but they are acutely aware that if they produce a decent car, it'll sell.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:52 (Ref:3834520)   #87
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMarks View Post
It's now the old model Focus, so is irrelevant anyway.

We will see if M-Sport or Ford Performance choose to build a TCR version of the 2019 model Ford Focus. If the business case stacks up, then why wouldn't they build it?

Else, hopefully, Timmy and the boys will take some iniative and the Focus TCR will bring in huge profits to the mighty folks at Tickford Racing! Talk about pride in Australian manufacturing! Tickford might forego the croissant-fuelled French transmission, for one of Peter Hollinger's finest lamington-powered FWD transaxles too! Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 4 Jul 2018 at 02:57.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3834522)   #88
Umai Naa
Veteran

Absolutely.

There are several other makes that could be involved, but have so far not shown interest. Toyota, Mercedes Benz and BMW for example. End of the day, it has to make sense for them to do so. Although, in theory MB and BMW could leverage off their existing customer base in GT3 and GT4 as Audi does. Several TCR championships around the world share weekends with GT3 and GT4 events, so economies of scale and logistics would figure favourably in that sense.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3834524)   #89
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It's now the old model Focus, so is irrelevant anyway.

We will see if M-Sport or Ford Performance choose to build a TCR version of the 2019 model Ford Focus. If the business case stacks up, then why wouldn't they build it?

Else, hopefully, Timmy and the boys will take some iniative and the Focus TCR will bring in huge profits to the mighty folks at Tickford Racing! Talk about pride in Australian manufacturing! Tickford might forego the croissant-fuelled French transmission, for one of Peter Hollinger's finest lamington-powered FWD transaxles too! Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!
Only needs some red and green bits for the carrot and peas!
Old 24 Sep 2018, 06:45 (Ref:3852340)   #90
Mixer
Veteran

Two Hyundai i30N TCR are the first entries, with the formation of Hyundai Motorsports Oceania*:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/09/24...tcr-australia/

*Somehow not owned or affiliated with Hyundai Australia
Old 24 Sep 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3852362)   #91
Umai Naa
Veteran

Not yet, anyway.

Still hearing murmurs of what will now be a third i30N, which will be a privately entered thing.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3852499)   #92
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Two Hyundai i30N TCR are the first entries, with the formation of Hyundai Motorsports Oceania*:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/09/24...tcr-australia/

*Somehow not owned or affiliated with Hyundai Australia
One hopes this is not a repeat of the last time an Australian race team got the blessing of Motorsports HQ in Germany without getting the blessing of the local arm also
Old 24 Sep 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3852502)   #93
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
One hopes this is not a repeat of the last time an Australian race team got the blessing of Motorsports HQ in Germany without getting the blessing of the local arm also
Or the last time someone represented Hyundai in motorsports locally...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Sep 2018, 23:52 (Ref:3852507)   #94
Umai Naa
Veteran

To be fair, HMCA did state that they were willing to assist where possible.

It could be a good way to tie in their N line of vehicles with the racing variant.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3852515)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Or the last time someone represented Hyundai in motorsports locally...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
How is Mr Pickett?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Sep 2018, 02:30 (Ref:3852520)   #96
Umai Naa
Veteran

Or Mr Hardman?
Old 25 Sep 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3852532)   #97
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or Mr Richards?
Old 25 Sep 2018, 05:44 (Ref:3852534)   #98
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Wayne Bell the last man locally to do something with Hyundai? They took him to the WRC ultimately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Hardly the same thing
Old 25 Sep 2018, 06:40 (Ref:3852537)   #99
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Or Mr Richards?
Who Jim?

He did a handful of laps in one of the ST Lantras and declared it undrivable.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3852555)   #100
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Who Jim?

He did a handful of laps in one of the ST Lantras and declared it undrivable.
Yep.

And what about Mr Bond?

He took one to Macau.