Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 May 2001, 02:37 (Ref:89149)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Winton Konica Thread

Practice one:

1. Trucky -Holden
2. Dumbrell -Holden
3. Ferrier -Holden
4. Brede -Holden
5. Wills -Holden
6. Kelly -Holden
7. Wallis -Ford
8. Simpson -Ford
9. Harris -Ford
10. Wyhoon -Holden

Calling the parity police...
Old 5 May 2001, 10:25 (Ref:89242)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Final Qualifying

Pos No Driver Vehicle Laps Fastest On
1 80 Paul Dumbrell Holden VT 13 1:23.3989 11
2 96 Owen Kelly Holden VS 11 1:23.6924 7
3 73 Simon Wills Holden VT 6 1:23.8509 6
4 90 Dale Brede Holden VT 13 1:24.2066 10
5 82 David Parsons Holden VT 11 1:24.2896 9
6 33 Leanne Ferrier Holden VT 9 1:24.3190 9
7 59 Mick Donaher Ford EL 9 1:24.7148 7
8 500 Alan Heath Ford AU 14 1:24.8656 11
9 93 Michael Simpson Ford EL 13 1:25.0800 9
10 88 Craig Harris Ford AU 14 1:25.1864 8
11 48 Eddie Abelnica Holden VT 10 1:25.2268 4
12 89 Kevin Mundy Ford AU 15 1:25.6648 14
13 49 Ric Shaw Holden VS 17 1:26.1648 13
14 20 Gary Holt Ford EL 13 1:26.1948 9
15 25 Terry Wyhoon Holden VS 13 1:26.2444 13
16 81 Tim Rowse Holden VS 14 1:26.4261 11
17 84 Daniel Miller Holden VS 6 1:26.7384 6
18 37 Bill Attard Holden VS 13 1:27.0249 8
19 61 Ross Haliday Ford EL 15 1:27.4265 13
20 111 Phonsy Mullan Holden VS 12 1:27.5618 5
21 145 Aaron McGill Ford EL 6 1:28.9049 4
22 38 Wayne Cooper Holden VS 11 1:29.3403 4
23 72 Robert Smith Holden VS 16 1:30.5487 12

Well done to Paul Dumbrell on getting his first ever pole position in a V8..and a top effort by owen kelly as well..this is shaping up to be a very interesting meeting and i for one cant wait for 6am tomorrow when i head off down the hume to Winton.

weather around here has been patchy for the last few days so a touch of rain may be possible ..even though the reports say reasonably clear..anyway I hope it is a good and safe meeting..will post some pics when i get home tomorrow night .

Old 5 May 2001, 12:06 (Ref:89262)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets have a look at the used car lot this series is:
1 80 Paul Dumbrell Holden VT -ex GMS
2 96 Owen Kelly Holden VS -ex HRT, ex Faulkner, ex Dumbrell, ex McConville, ex McLeod etc etc...
3 73 Simon Wills Holden VT -ex GMS
4 90 Dale Brede Holden VT -ex Smerdon
5 82 David Parsons Holden VT -ex GMS
6 33 Leanne Ferrier Holden VT -still GRMS
7 59 Mick Donaher Ford EL -have a feeling its an ex longhurst
8 500 Alan Heath Ford AU -a Heath creation
9 93 Michael Simpson Ford EL -ex Larkham, ex Ellery, ex Besnard
10 88 Craig Harris Ford AU -ex DJR
Old 5 May 2001, 23:55 (Ref:89487)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep, congrats must go to you paul on getting his 1st pole......pity i cant get to the spiritual home of victorian (australian if you please) motorsport today, had pre-booking of carlton/collingwood match, should have checked my dates, what a fool!
Old 6 May 2001, 00:09 (Ref:89497)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hehe, poor Marcus will be sitting there drinking the slab of beer he bought for you, all on his own...
Old 7 May 2001, 14:19 (Ref:89892)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a quick look at the results for the weekend on the official website and there seemed to be a lot of DNS and DNFs.

Was there a bit of carnage there on the weekend or just mechanical problems ?
Old 7 May 2001, 17:08 (Ref:89915)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ok here is what happened.

firstly it was the most confused i have ever been at a V8 event..the commentary kept dropping out because of a small fire apparently) in the comm box..hahahaha...and their official timing was completely use ...saying that some driver had retired in the pits as he came round to take the checkered flag..what a shambles...fortunately you can see the whole track so we had to keep our eyes open to find out for ourselves what was going on.

Good day of racing ..what there was of it.

some mechanical failures..but quite a bit of carnage especially at turn one.

anyway i have some great pics of the meeting and you can have a sneak preview of my new site at www.racingpghotos.homestead.com this is the first page ive done and i plan to do more of all the pics i have at present.

race 1 saw Kevin mundy hit Allan heath and take out half the field..end of the day for Mundy, Craig harris,Allan heath and Michael Simpson. quite a shabby piece of driving really..but Dumbrell took ogg into the lead pursued by Owen Kelly and Simon Wills and then Leanne ferrier...Michael Donaher in a guest apperance in the Team SA Falcon was going very well but power steering problems hampered him all day and eventually gave up in race 3 because of it.

Aaron McGill brought out the pace car after spinning at the old turn one (he was caught up in the first crash and lost his front spoiler and continued on before spinning)

at the re start Dumbrell dropped it at Rollover corner and spun out of the lead handing the lead to Wills and no one was going to catch him from there..at the back of the field debutant Wayne Cooper performed a few off track spins..but did well considering it was his debut...the battle for the all important 10th place was very interesting swapping between another debutant Eddie Abelnica and daniel miller and Dumbrell even had a chance to get it back ...but to the crowds approval Daniel miller came home in 10th.

RACE 2

just to prove the commentators had no idea what was going on ..we were told that Truckie parsons was to be put at the back of the grid therefore allowing Dumbrell back up to 10th for race 1 and taking Pole for race 2..well out came the cars and the front row was Daniel miller and Phonsy Mullen and Truckie started 5th ????

not sure what really happened but Mullen and Miller got together at turn one and Mullen spun in front of the pack ..cars went everywhere and then there was an allmighty crunch ..and Simon Wiils had his front end demolished by the spinning Mullen..ending both their days ..allthough mullen continued on at full speed until realizing at the old turn one he had no steering and off he went again..Wills got out and called it quits completely from the series...YES SIMON WILLS HAS OFFICIALLY PULLED OUT OF THE SERIES

the rest of the race was relativly incident free..except for Aaron mcGill pulling of with mechanical failure and Owen Kelly punting Dale brede out of the lead to which he recieved a 30 point penalty..Donaher spun at the end of the new section ..didnt see that one so not sure if he jumped or was pushed. and Abelnica christened his new VT somehow ..but i missed that 2 ..maybe he and Donaher got together ??? not sure. so owen kelly won his first ever V8 supercar race..but sudenly stopped on the cool down lap...apparently he suffered alternator failure which then shut down the fuel pump...just 200 metres after the finish line...very lucky indeed...and i thought he was gonna do a burnout.

RACE 3

race 3 saw the field dwindle by a few more..gary Holt managed a gearbox change in between races and Kelly found an alternator just in time...robert Smith had given up for the day (dont know why but he wasnt that quick when he was on track so some sort of problem I guess)

poor Aaron mcgill was trundleing up pit lane to go out to the grid when the Falcon ground to a halt ..some sort of mechanical problem and he didnt start.

amazingly a very clean start..no contact whatsoever at turn one.

a rather boring race this one..Donaher gave up with smoke pouring out the back and Ric Shaw spun at the end of the the old back straight and slammed into the marshalls dugout..he got going but it had damaged something and he retired...wayne cooper had another spin..and thats about it I think..but a good day really ..sad to see Simon Wills leave the series and sad to see quite a few cars so badly damaged they couldnt race anymore.

Support classes were Hq's, formula vee, Sallon Cars and porsche cup.

never seen these sallon cars before and found them very interesting ..and even noticed one Harry Bargwanna racing...reliving old memories perhaps

Porsche cup was also interesting with Martin wagg (in his rebuilt car after his Adelaide crash) have a great fight with Paul Whitmarsh ...race 1 saw a pile up at turn one started by the red PBR Porsche i think..and then in one of the races Wagg tried a very over ambitious move on whitmarsh at turn one from way to far back in my books and the 2 collided and shot across the grass but Whitmarsh looped it when he got back on track with cold and wet tyres.

very good days racing and managed to get a signed Poster from leanne ferrier (allthough strangely enough it only had Tander and bargs on it and not her ???)
bought a fantastic Holden lion all done up in a HRT racing suit for $30 dollars..very good value..no rain thankfully but the wind got pretty cold and was forced to rug up a fair bit towards the end of the day.

and no i didnt drink a slab Crash test as someone had to drive home

oh some more news they announced ..apparently Michael Simpson will be at the Phillip Island round but NOT in the car (ex Havoline Falcon) he is driving now...either he has a new car or has landed a drive with someone else ??

CHEERS Til the Shell Round
Marcus
Old 7 May 2001, 17:12 (Ref:89917)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
and i must add that Eddie Abelnica's car is the best looking car that ive seen for a while.

remember to check out the pics at www.racingpghotos.homestead.com

Old 7 May 2001, 17:19 (Ref:89921)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
oh and I must add that on the V8 supercar page the drivers listed ..Mal Rose , Luke sieders,Scott march and Richard mork did not attend this meeting..dont know why they were put onto the timing sheet at all ???
Old 8 May 2001, 00:46 (Ref:90047)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, fantastic stuff Marcus! And some good pics too

I don't know if it is fair to say this, but are the driving standards in the Konica series up to scratch....sounds like an awful lot of carnage to me...
Old 8 May 2001, 01:53 (Ref:90069)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well once they got through the first turn their driving was very good..but I guess it was just a case of bad luck ..the first turn at winton is becoming a bit of a problem..im sure the shell boys are going to have a few probs there as well.

the Konica series as you know contains quite a few drivers that dont have alot of experience but taking this on board they all are driving well and really there wasnt anything dangerous happening and from what I saw they all deserved to be out there..they just need to try and get through turn one carefully.
Old 8 May 2001, 05:40 (Ref:90092)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mal Rose and others

Mal Rose was at Wakefield with the Mirages. Why was he and others kept on the time sheets? Because they were on the entry list supplied by AVESCO and we couldn't remove them until advised by them that thay had officially withdrawn.
Old 8 May 2001, 10:19 (Ref:90132)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G'day Racetime and welcome to the forum. What circuits do you work at?
Old 8 May 2001, 11:34 (Ref:90160)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Welcome aboard Race Time
Old 8 May 2001, 13:23 (Ref:90206)   #15
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Marcus! I did not read any of that on the v8supercar.com site!

On Simon leaving the series, is it true that Birrana runs his VT in the series? cause they are now leaving FH.
Old 8 May 2001, 16:01 (Ref:90270)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Welcome Race Time..thanks for the info on mal and his mates.

nz_tourer..yes it is true that Biranna run Simon Wills touring car campaign..I wasnt aware that they were pulling out of formula Holden though..this is a big blow to that catergory as well..lets hope they can find some funding and get back into both series soon.
Old 8 May 2001, 23:32 (Ref:90554)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Are you sure they are leaving FHolden? Who is going to run the factory backed car for Rick Kelly??
Old 9 May 2001, 00:38 (Ref:90570)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe holden young lions will take over the running of rick kelly....thanks for that konica report marcus, that was great - how did you go with that slab of beer!
Old 9 May 2001, 04:17 (Ref:90593)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Kelly is running at the moment under the Young Lions banner in FHolden. I'd imagine they would have a contract with Birrana, and in fact, I think they were going to run Wills in a few more FHolden races this year. They are category stalwarts, and would have invest a few million in the category over the years...
Old 9 May 2001, 04:48 (Ref:90601)   #20
nz_tourer
Rookie

sorry, my mistake! It is Simons last race for Birrana in the FH series, I think! i may be wrong though

I heard it late at night after a long day, interpreted it as the Birrana team leaving FH and my mind started thinkning of many a conspiracy theory! - Birrana leaving FH, and then Simon pulling out of the Koinca series in a Birrana , hmmm, how timely
Old 9 May 2001, 05:02 (Ref:90603)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia

But still, it is a wierd one. They spend all of this money on car and infrastructure, and put in all of this effort for just 3 rounds....seems like a major waste to me.

I know Simon was only going in it to get experience in the class, and get himself a drive for the enduros. I guess he has done that, and now he's moving on...
Old 9 May 2001, 05:08 (Ref:90604)   #22
nz_tourer
Rookie

silly buggar Simon, he had a chance at taking the title you would have to say, and that would definitely put him up on the market for the enduros and the series. But in saying that he has already proved his class in FH and the short period of time in a tourer.

Or maybe it wasnt Simons decision?!

Has anyone heard if the rumours about SImon and Tony Longhurst driving for HRT in the enduros are true?
Old 12 May 2001, 23:29 (Ref:91642)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't heard that rumour but I think Wills would do an excellent job in a HRT car for the enduros. I would also like to see Longhurst get a run with HRT because I picked him up rather cheaply in Russell Ingall's DREAMDRIVE.TV tipping competition.
Old 13 May 2001, 02:39 (Ref:91669)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Fantastic point David, a few podiums in the double points races will help out
Old 20 May 2001, 21:51 (Ref:94614)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome guys and gals.

I recall seeing this forum some time ago but time, pressure - you know all the normal excuses...

Circuits - Calder, Winton, Ph Island, Barbagallao, Hidden Valley, Wakefield directly use our software. AVESCO are trying to change this but they are still having problems with their system.

And currently fighting to try and get more results available on line - not just for the elite, but for everyone. Latest hassle is with the so-called POwer Tour - Super Trucks. Turns out the promoters of this series aren't going to make results or informaiton about their race meetings until after the event has finished!

I won't post regularly - just keep checking it every now and then.