Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 30 Jun 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3271785)   #201
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
i think all the haters are slightly missing my point....If you dont have access to a confirmed TV schedule you dont promise TV to sponsors to secure your deal..we have all read all the blurb and that is not being argued..infact there is so much B/S on various websites and social network sites you must be crazy to take it as gospel and sign the deal..i can only imagine how some ST sponsors are feeling right now after the same day coverage became week later edited highlights...
Richard you have just highlighted my point if ST, NZV8 board promise competitors benefits that they put in their sponsorship proposals they should deliver! How does Jono now explain to his sponsors that there is no more same weekend TV3 coverage and by the way the quality has gone for live broadcast standard to the crap we saw at Pukekohe?
Old 30 Jun 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3271789)   #202
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
Richard you have just highlighted my point if ST, NZV8 board promise competitors benefits that they put in their sponsorship proposals they should deliver! How does Jono now explain to his sponsors that there is no more same weekend TV3 coverage and by the way the quality has gone for live broadcast standard to the crap we saw at Pukekohe?
i didnt know he raced in mainstream NZ racing...thought he was a co driver in ST to john macintyre and did some enduro racing in a porsche as a co driver.... you have lost me here.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3271793)   #203
Member CCC
Rookie

Quote:
i didnt know he raced in mainstream NZ racing...thought he was a co driver in ST to john macintyre and did some enduro racing in a porsche as a co driver.... you have lost me here.
Really kind of amazing since you are Richard Lester! Or are you happy to try and as you say BS your way around your identity on here??
Old 30 Jun 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3271799)   #204
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really kind of amazing since you are Richard Lester! Or are you happy to try and as you say BS your way around your identity on here??
whatever member CCC... to the best of my knowledge Jono lester doesnt actually race in new zealand apart from co driver appearances...where are you going with this ??how does who you think i may or may not be have any relevance to this thread...its no wonder the sport is in such a state.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3271809)   #205
Member CCC
Rookie

Quote:
whatever member CCC... to the best of my knowledge Jono lester doesnt actually race in new zealand apart from co driver appearances...where are you going with this ??how does who you think i may or may not be have any relevance to this thread...its no wonder the sport is in such a state.
Richard this is what you quoted:

"i can only imagine how some ST sponsors are feeling right now after the same day coverage became week later edited highlights..."

I simply asked this question:

"How does Jono now explain to his sponsors that there is no more same weekend TV3 coverage and by the way the quality has gone for live broadcast standard to the crap we saw at Pukekohe?"

As you are well aware Jono brought on board Fastway to JMR so my question was in reference to the ST sponsors that have been promised something that was far from being delivered! (agreeing with you) Wonder how BNT felt with value that was offered to them as a major sponsor at Pukekohe?? Or how JMR covered off the whole TV thing to the sponsors considering John was one of driving forces around live TV as a director of ST's.

As to the state of the sport maybe you should read back through some of your old post's on here, interesting to see what you have said about TRS and MSNZ considering the opportunities that Jono was given! As my dad once said to me you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house!
Old 30 Jun 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3271833)   #206
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
i think all the haters are slightly missing my point....If you dont have access to a confirmed TV schedule you dont promise TV to sponsors to secure your deal..
"all the haters"...how old are you, 12?

Which class have you been involved with where you were given a "confirmed TV schedule" prior to the start of the season?

If I follow your reasoning, we would all have to double-check every single aspect of a class promoters offering before we open our mouths. I've said it before and I'll say it again... it looks no one can be trusted which says it's all pretty shifty business.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3272076)   #207
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Which class have you been involved with where you were given a "confirmed TV schedule" prior to the start of the season?
maybe that's where TMC/MSNZ done things right ??
did they have written contracts in place for the 'Summer Series' broadcasts ??
did they ever change the broadcast schedule and quality mid-season after series sponsors were locked in ??
Old 30 Jun 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3272129)   #208
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
maybe that's where TMC/MSNZ done things right ??
did they have written contracts in place for the 'Summer Series' broadcasts ??
did they ever change the broadcast schedule and quality mid-season after series sponsors were locked in ??
Yes we had good coverage in the TMC days Joe but, in hindsight, that model was not sustainable as the costs were too high. Look at what eventually happened.

I can't answer your other questions (Q1 - don't know and Q2 - can't remember).
Old 1 Jul 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3272163)   #209
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel TV3 View Post
Last year, as a gesture of goodwill, CRC Motorsport screened CC in conjunction with ST, as Mark P was keen on CC getting as much promotion as possible. Earlier this year I informed ST management that I couldn't justify playing CC until the numbers increased.
So what is it that TV3 want for their show?

Is it just mainly the big overseas stuff that costs money to host, DTM, MotoGP etc or are they interested in some local stuff as well?

If its local stuff, what are the general guidelines for what you will air?

You have stated you wont show CC with less than say 15 cars (and for the record I totally agree with that as I believe that TV coverage for anything with under 10 cars is embarressing for our sport, whether it be Utes, Suzuki, CC. FFord, NZV8 or Mini 7's)... so what is it you would show?

Socram has basically said, based on past experience, you arent interested in the historic's even though they no doubt put on a big grid, so what is the basic criteria? Big grids? close racing? household name drivers?. How does the average Kiwi class (be that CMC, Honda Cup, 2K cup, Pro7 or whatever) go about getting some TV time???
Old 1 Jul 2013, 01:14 (Ref:3272168)   #210
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm stunned to hear TV3 wouldn't be interested in classics. There is a huge fan base for those cars.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3272179)   #211
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Richard I would have thought this NZV8 newsletter clearly states what was promised:

Dear Shareholders,
Many of you will no doubt have seen the media statement but will be wondering what does it mean for NZV8 competitors. Your directors are satisfied with the outcome of their negotiations the main elements of which are.
1 VEEGA is free to organise races at any other race meeting than one promoted by V8ST.
2 VEEGA will be totally autonomous in its rules and regulations, paddock etc. V8ST will make available its judicial system including V8ST’s independent court of appeal.
3 VEEGA owns all its intellectual property, commercial and promotional rights.
4 VEEGA will be given prominence as the main support category at V8ST events.
5 V8ST will produce and put to air coverage of VEEGA races in the same programme as V8ST’s coverage at no cost to VEEGA. VEEGA will also be provided with a clean feed of the coverage which we are free to market as we wish.
6 VEEGA is free to deal with V8ST’s promotions company with no fee payable to V8ST for sponsorship secured.
7 For 2013 VEEGA shareholders will pay only MSNZ fees to enter V8ST events, after then only those not contesting all V8ST rounds will be required to pay a fee. MSNZ fees payable by all of course.
8 VEEGA category competitors will each receive 6 passes and 1 vehicle pass. VEEGA will receive 10 officials passes and 10 vehicle passes. VEEGA will receive 50 ground admission passes for the naming rights sponsor.
9 The term of the agreement is indefinite except by mutual agreement or if we fail to field more than 10 entries on two consecutive occasions.
On behalf of the Board,
Greg Lancaster
Chairman
Playing Devil's advocate here, it might be worth considering what was promised by BOTH sides. Item 9, above, says that failure to field "more than 10 entries on two consecutive occasions" ends the agreement. CC had 9 cars at HD in February, didn't go to Ruapuna and then only had 7 at Puke in May. End of agreement!

With so many cars and drivers (and hopefully sponsors) out there, it SHOULDN'T be hard to get a decent field of 2nd-level V8's, whatever they're called. However, the CC TV situation is yet another example of the huge rift that exists across NZ motorsport at present, and the nagative impact it has already had on entrants/sponsors considering the class.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3272186)   #212
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
However, the CC TV situation is yet another example of the huge rift that exists across NZ motorsport at present, and the nagative impact it has already had on entrants/sponsors considering the class.
Absolutely correct. We tried to get a budget together for CC at Puke, unfortunately at short notice, and failed. Had we succeeded, I'm not too sure how I would have explained the lack of TV to our sponsors. Having a NZ Championship winner behind the wheel doesn't seem to be enough, so I don't think there's enough to offer them anymore.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3272213)   #213
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regardless, a grid of even 10 cars is insufficient to attract my interest.

Often, TV coverage is so focussed on the front three, that if I was a potential sponsor of cars 4th and further down the field, particularly in a one/two make series, I'd really not be interested and would seriously doubt the investment would pay a reasonable return.

If I was a TV producer (or commentator), then equally, in a one/two make series, why would I bother covering cars further down the field? If they all look the same, sound the same and basically perform the same, where is the real interest and excitement in a 10 car grid?

Up it to 20 different cars, and I might well wake up, but again as a potential sponsor, I'd still want to know that "my car" would feature at least once in each race - and that would therefore be over to the TV producer to accept that there is more to any race than just a winner.

Up it to 30 cars and you are almost guaranteed a race of some interest, but then sponsorship of a specific car would still be a gamble. Probably better value to sponsor a race meeting, a race or a series and you are at least guaranteed a mention or three if it is televised and at least every car can also carry your decals - as can tow vehicles and other support vehicles.

Sponsors expect a measurable return.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3272587)   #214
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Regardless, a grid of even 10 cars is insufficient to attract my interest.

Often, TV coverage is so focussed on the front three, that if I was a potential sponsor of cars 4th and further down the field, particularly in a one/two make series, I'd really not be interested and would seriously doubt the investment would pay a reasonable return.

If I was a TV producer (or commentator), then equally, in a one/two make series, why would I bother covering cars further down the field? If they all look the same, sound the same and basically perform the same, where is the real interest and excitement in a 10 car grid?

Up it to 20 different cars, and I might well wake up, but again as a potential sponsor, I'd still want to know that "my car" would feature at least once in each race - and that would therefore be over to the TV producer to accept that there is more to any race than just a winner.

Up it to 30 cars and you are almost guaranteed a race of some interest, but then sponsorship of a specific car would still be a gamble. Probably better value to sponsor a race meeting, a race or a series and you are at least guaranteed a mention or three if it is televised and at least every car can also carry your decals - as can tow vehicles and other support vehicles.

Sponsors expect a measurable return.
Its not always about quantity, 10 cars racing close can be much better to watch than 20 or more spaced around the track. Those 10 can also produce very good TV.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3272598)   #215
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if the fact that TV3 has new owners has had any impact on their view of proceedings and what rates for coverage? Remember Nigel et al are just mouthpieces for management when they come on here in their official guises.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3272599)   #216
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Although Shaun will give his opinion but I doubt that it would stretch to direct criticism of the way his bosses are running the show.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3272607)   #217
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Remember Nigel et al are just mouthpieces for management when they come on here in their official guises.
what about their unofficial guises ??
Old 1 Jul 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3272679)   #218
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
what about their unofficial guises ??
They seem to have stopped using those of late...
Old 2 Jul 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3272712)   #219
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They seem to have stopped using those of late...
GB, it was an error of judgement on my part and I can assure you it will never happen again. It is business as usual at TV3 and CRC Motorsport. Shaun and I are fortunate to have little influence from management so long as we keep within budget and the advertisers continue to support the Show. Good news is that our advertising space is fully subscribed and CRC have confirmed their continuing support until the end of 2014, which we are grateful for.

Nigel
Producer CRC Motorsport
TV3
Old 2 Jul 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3272719)   #220
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Shaun and I are fortunate to have little influence from management so long as we keep within budget and the advertisers continue to support the Show. Good news is that our advertising space is fully subscribed and CRC have confirmed their continuing support until the end of 2014, which we are grateful for.
That is great news that it will continue...

So in light of that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
So what is it that TV3 want for their show?

Is it just mainly the big overseas stuff that costs money to host, DTM, MotoGP etc or are they interested in some local stuff as well?

If its local stuff, what are the general guidelines for what you will air?

You have stated you wont show CC with less than say 15 cars (and for the record I totally agree with that as I believe that TV coverage for anything with under 10 cars is embarressing for our sport, whether it be Utes, Suzuki, CC. FFord, NZV8 or Mini 7's)... so what is it you would show?

Socram has basically said, based on past experience, you arent interested in the historic's even though they no doubt put on a big grid, so what is the basic criteria? Big grids? close racing? household name drivers?. How does the average Kiwi class (be that CMC, Honda Cup, 2K cup, Pro7 or whatever) go about getting some TV time???
Old 2 Jul 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3272729)   #221
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
That is great news that it will continue...

So in light of that....

Hi CDM,

Some good questions.

Both Shaun and I believe we have a responsibility to support, foster and encourage Motorsport in New Zealand, it is a responsibility we take seriously and endeavour to do the best we can with the available resources at our disposal. Our aim is to broadcast as much local content as possible plus the big ticket items like DTM & MotoGP. Of the 65 Hours of motorsport screened by CRC Motorsport this year, over two thirds has been local content, and we are pretty proud of that. The criteria to give a category airtime is simple... will it benefit the viewer? .. I will play anything that has good grids and reasonable production standards but I also need to be fiscally responsible to the Show's Sponsor and the Network, if not I jeopardise the only regular Free to Air Motorsport Show currently playing on NZ television. With local motorsport there is always the issue of budget and this effects the quality of the product delivered to the Network.. it is a fine balance of making the Programme as cheaply as possible without it looking crap on air.. sometimes we struggle to achieve both priorities but we do our best. Both Shaun and I welcome any queries from categories wanting Airtime.

Regards
Nigel Carpenter
Producer CRC Motorsport.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3272769)   #222
Club racer
Racer

Club racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is actually no 'huge fan base' for ANY category of motorsport in this country bar Supercars. I would have thought all of the problems faced by everyone when it comes to sponsors, crowds and TV were sufficient proof of that.... the endless politics (based solely on greed, not what is good for the sport) simply make that worse.

That is the legacy of Motosport New Zealand's "governance" of the sport.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3272772)   #223
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Sad but true, V8 Supercars are where it's at for fans, and Classic/Historic is where it's at for competitors.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3272782)   #224
Nigel TV3
Racer

Quote:
Sad but true, V8 Supercars are where it's at for fans, and Classic/Historic is where it's at for competitors.
GB & Club Racer.. Here are some interesting facts you may be interested in. When CRC Motorsport/TV3 screened Supercars they averaged between 18% - 24% Rating (percentage of people watching TV at that time) Now Supercars are on Sky they average between 3% - 5% Rating. This is excluding Puke and Bathurst. Maybe Supercars are not as popular as we think?
Old 2 Jul 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3272810)   #225
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
GB & Club Racer.. Here are some interesting facts you may be interested in. When CRC Motorsport/TV3 screened Supercars they averaged between 18% - 24% Rating (percentage of people watching TV at that time) Now Supercars are on Sky they average between 3% - 5% Rating. This is excluding Puke and Bathurst. Maybe Supercars are not as popular as we think?
maybe NZ Supercar fans arn't as dedicated as first perceived . gladly watch it for free, but not keen to pay for it.........................but let their wives subscribe to Sky movies