Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Oct 2003, 18:52 (Ref:751231)   #1
DiscoGoober
Racer

DiscoGoober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick question about the Daytona Prototypes...

I was thinking about something today and never have heard an answer for it, so sorry if these are ignorant questions. They have to do with the cosmetic differences on the Daytona Prototypes.

I've heard it mentioned that you can use engines from different manufactures that are in the same "group," such as Nissan and Ifinity. Does that just basically mean that a team could run a Daytona Prototype with Nissan power and have Infinity styling on it?

The second question I had has to do primarily with small sports car manufactures. The U.S.-spec Lotus Elise that's coming to America as a 2005 model will have a Toyota power plant. If a team was planning on running a car with Toyota power in the Daytona Prototype class, could they run it with Lotus Elise styling?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 19:47 (Ref:751314)   #2
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a: do you mean being able to use a 350z engine and badge it as an infiniti engine (which is how it is)?

b: yes, they could if they could get garra aproval. im not sure why youd want to take a i4 against v8s from ford, chevy, and toyota and the porsche flat 6 though. specially with turbos banned.

Last edited by Es Nes; 14 Oct 2003 at 19:47.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 19:53 (Ref:751320)   #3
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2-2.1 The primary head and tail/brake light lenses must be identical to production units from the catalog of road going car parts published by the car’s engine manufacturer. Additional driving lights are permitted.

I would assume then if you wanted to have head and taillights from a toyota echo, more power to ya...

As for the lotus thing, yeah I guess it would be ok, but you might as well put a camry engine in it and call it slower than molasses...
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:11 (Ref:751346)   #4
DiscoGoober
Racer

Oh, I wasn't referring to the engine. Doesn't the #3 Cegwa Toyota Fabcar run a Toyota V8 engine? That car has it's basic styling from the Toyota Celica, which only has a four cylinder engine. You don't have to run the engine on which the Daytona Prototype gets its styling from, right? I mean, you can run a car that has its styling from one car but has its engine from a different one under the same manufacture brand, right?

Thanks for the input, also.

Last edited by DiscoGoober; 14 Oct 2003 at 20:17.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 21:02 (Ref:751416)   #5
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do they still enforce that rule about the light? Because clearly Bell/Doran runs stuff that resembles nothing, so does the G&W Picchio....
Old 14 Oct 2003, 22:50 (Ref:751488)   #6
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forset say's his car use's Vette headlight's...

The Picchio is supposedly using Z3 headlight's.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 23:13 (Ref:751512)   #7
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well since the corvette has pop up headlights then the bell doran/chevy can run those fixed lights he has on now and the tail lights are from a vette, but as for a pichio, those don't look like Z3 lights to me same with it's tail lights, i don't see any BMW's with tail ights like those, i wonder why they aren't running BMW lights
Old 14 Oct 2003, 23:56 (Ref:751552)   #8
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't look like Z3 to me either. Sound's like the Picchio might not be seen next year anyway's...
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:45 (Ref:752099)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoGoober
Oh, I wasn't referring to the engine. Doesn't the #3 Cegwa Toyota Fabcar run a Toyota V8 engine? That car has it's basic styling from the Toyota Celica, which only has a four cylinder engine. You don't have to run the engine on which the Daytona Prototype gets its styling from, right? I mean, you can run a car that has its styling from one car but has its engine from a different one under the same manufacture brand, right?

Thanks for the input, also.
Ah, I see what you're getting at- if you can put a Toyota V8 into a DP and use the 4-cylinder Celica styling, then why not use the Toyota-powered Elise as the reasoning for putting the Elise lights/styling onto a Toyota V8-powered DP?

Not sure how that sits with

'2-2.1 The primary head and tail/brake light lenses must be identical to production units from the catalog of road going car parts published by the car’s engine manufacturer. Additional driving lights are permitted'

- would the Toyota engine in the production Elise actually have to be Lotus-badged before you could use the Toyota-Lotus link in this way?- otherwise, if you go strictly to the letter of ' regulation 2-2-.1', then presumably would you still have to use the Toyota lights etc?- or to put it another way, do you actually have to use an engine ACTUALLY BUILT by Lotus- ie the Esprit's V8- to have a Lotus-styled DP?

Knowing Lotus, the lights etc on the Elise probably started off in another manufacturer's parts catalogue anyway.....
Old 15 Oct 2003, 13:07 (Ref:752122)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
do you actually have to use an engine ACTUALLY BUILT by Lotus- ie the Esprit's V8- to have a Lotus-styled DP?
I believe so.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 15 Oct 2003 at 13:08.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 21:29 (Ref:752694)   #11
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the focus DP? Those lights sure ain't from anything I've seen...
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 15 Oct 2003, 21:39 (Ref:752699)   #12
DiscoGoober
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by RacerGuy2
What about the focus DP? Those lights sure ain't from anything I've seen...
I've wondered about that too. When they drew what the car was supposed to look like, though, the headlights and front fascia resembled a Focus much more.

Drawing of the car: http://www.grand-am.com/daytona_prot...207-16_300.jpg
Old 16 Oct 2003, 00:00 (Ref:752778)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Ford DP's use focus light turned at a different orientation like 180 different.
Nissan is only approved to use the V6 from the 350, but they could get a Nissan V8 approved and run 350z headlamps and rears, or even sentra light and rear...
i am waiting for a good nissan program for DP's, if it look good it would totally swing me that way.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 01:45 (Ref:752825)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They are in fact factory Focus lights (tail, too). The headlights are swapped and rotated 90 degrees.

The tail lights are hidden in the frame at the back. They also have an LED racing brake light, centre-mounted.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Oct 2003, 03:01 (Ref:752848)   #15
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeah at first i didn't recognize the headlamps on the focus DP but after a while i did. i'm waiting for a team to submit plans to run the new chrysler Hemi V8 and they could run the headlight tailight package from the Viper